Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, August 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Herding Cats??
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NicoleO5
(California)

05/09/2019 1:01 PM  
Hi everyone. I am prepping for some serious meetings with our HOA BOD. Every meeting ends in frustration as there is ONE member acting like it’s social hour. We relive same stories, and antics and it’s really not being respectful of our time.

How can I reel this person in? I have attempted to do so every time he gets off topic. I have emailed the board reminding them to be prepared and respectful of our time.

So I just pulling people in loudly when they want to visit stuff not on topic? I am
Having a real time with this.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/09/2019 1:14 PM  
Well put the shoe on the other foot... Are you being neighborly enough with your time? Don't be the "mom" at the meeting. It may be coming off like that. Understand this is being "Devil's advocate". If your going to try to balance, try to balance yourself too. Meaning take a breath, listen, and then find opportunity to work in the "story" with what is going on currently.

Like "Great story" that reminds me of what we are here to talk about currently... Plus our meetings we had set agenda. Which was in our documentation on what to cover. Print out the agenda. We covered collections, expenses, plans, current issues, last meeting notes, and then open forum. Get the business over with first then open up the forum at the end. It allows people to filter out and you got your meeting done.

Former HOA President
RichardP13
(California)

05/09/2019 1:28 PM  
Posted By NicoleO5 on 05/09/2019 1:01 PM
Hi everyone. I am prepping for some serious meetings with our HOA BOD. Every meeting ends in frustration as there is ONE member acting like it’s social hour. We relive same stories, and antics and it’s really not being respectful of our time.

How can I reel this person in? I have attempted to do so every time he gets off topic. I have emailed the board reminding them to be prepared and respectful of our time.

So I just pulling people in loudly when they want to visit stuff not on topic? I am

Respectful of whose time, the Board or the homeowners?

Been there, Done that
MarkM19
(Texas)

05/09/2019 1:28 PM  
Nicole,
Not sure if you are the Property Manager or Board President. I know from many years of herding many cats that people get on boards for many reasons. Some for their special pet peeve, some to try and save the community money and others to socialize. You have to find different ways to deal with different people especially if you are running the meetings. Melissa's advise is probably the best way to start. My might be a little more direct. I would tell the story teller they can stay all night but after we get this agenda done I have to leave.
SueW6
(Michigan)

05/09/2019 1:30 PM  
Use a timed agenda. Allow stated minutes for a each topic.

At the end of the meeting, go around the table for comments. ( 5 min. Limit) .
AugustinD

05/09/2019 1:37 PM  
Ditto what Sue said, except I would suggest the board ends its formal meeting (including Minutes for same) and then invite owners to speak on whatever.

A good agenda, and sticking to it, is key to a successful meeting.
RichardP13
(California)

05/09/2019 1:48 PM  
Being the OP is from California, I'll will give my learned advise.

Since agendas have to be posted 96 hours prior to a meeting and you have to be specific in what topics are discussed and action taken (so homeowners can make an informed decision on whether it is to their interest to attend, then have the open forum, which is required, right after Board quorum has been established. Since Board meeting are boring, there really isn't any reason to stay. Board meeting tend to take less time and less stress.

Been there, Done that
GenoS
(Florida)

05/09/2019 2:00 PM  
You can get real strict and make sure the meetings adhere to the letter of Roberts Rules. Or you could resort to Judge Judy tactics: "Sushi for lunch today, people, can we move this along please?"
DouglasK1
(Florida)

05/09/2019 2:28 PM  
It's up to the chair (normally president) to manage the meeting. Can you have a talk with that person before the meeting and give some direction for managing meetings?

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
CjC

05/10/2019 7:14 AM  
We start with announcing we want the whole meeting to take one hour and the presdient will be keeping everyone on track to be able to get home to dinner.
NicoleO5
(California)

05/10/2019 7:36 AM  
I have tried this approach, yet the same person makes the meeting his social hour. I plan on utilizing an agenda and sticking with it. Making sure we know thisbwont last more than an hour. Because we will adjourn at one hour...
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

05/10/2019 7:44 AM  
Posted By NicoleO5 on 05/10/2019 7:36 AM
I have tried this approach, yet the same person makes the meeting his social hour. I plan on utilizing an agenda and sticking with it. Making sure we know thisbwont last more than an hour. Because we will adjourn at one hour...

Bring a wind-up timer with a loud buzzer.

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

05/10/2019 8:34 AM  
Posted By NicoleO5 on 05/10/2019 7:36 AM

Assuming you are the chair, I'd suggest opening the meeting by saying that the meetings have become unnecessarily long and rambling, and asking that people stay on topic. Acquire a gavel, and let everybody know that you'll use it if any discussion becomes out of order. Then use it as needed.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

05/10/2019 3:30 PM  
Posted By NicoleO5 on 05/09/2019 1:01 PM

Have patience, Nicole. For many people, serving on an HOA board is an outlet to exercise relevance and be around others. It sorta comes w/ the territory. Like you, I have things to do at home but lost this battle long ago. We do follow the rules for an hour-long meeting 99% of the time however.

I also tend to push along votes so as to adjourn early and open the floor....then folks can talk and board members can leave.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

05/11/2019 5:19 AM  
Nicole

The person running the meeting (usually the Pres.) has to control things/people. He/she has to be quick to use the gavel.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement