Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, May 25, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Three committees in townhome HOA, same Chair
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ChrisM29
(Florida)

05/08/2019 5:16 PM  
We live in a 26 unit townhome association. The president nominates the same board member to chair the ARB, the Landscaping Committee, and the Painting Committee. Any suggestions who to alter this? I don't think Florida has a law against this, but fairness is one matter. The lack of any committee meetings or responses to emails from committe members is another.
MarkM19
(Texas)

05/08/2019 5:33 PM  
Chris is there a line of people wanting to sign up for these committees? It sounds to me like you have an active board member that wants to help keep the community in good shape. I bet they would love to get support from others. You live in a very small HOA and it ain't easy to get volunteers.

I live in a Community that has nearly 1500 homes and we struggle to get volunteers for even our Social events. This is usually the easy Committee to be a part of in HOAs.
ChrisM29
(Florida)

05/08/2019 5:47 PM  
Yes, we are lucky to have many people willing to serve. For example, 4 serve on an ad hoc pet policy committee. I know what it's like when you don't. The trouble with the same person running all three major committees is this individual prefers to work alone. At the annual meeting, this individual made a 30-minute AV presentation of paint colors without ever having held a single committee meeting (other than meeting with the prez). A paint committee formed as a result of this presentation to give some input, but again, no meetings have been called yet since annual mtg 8 months ago. So no homeowners are getting to give input in key areas except this one individual. There are members on committees. We are simply not contacted, invited into discussions, or asked for opinions.
MarkM19
(Texas)

05/08/2019 5:56 PM  
Chris,
Thanks for the updated info. You might want to check your CC&Rs. I always thought a Committee has to have a minimum of 3 members and a max of 7 members. That may be a State by State law so if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me. I always requested a Board member to be on every committee just so that the boards guidelines are followed and they don't get too far off track with their committee. Normally at the board meetings the Chair person or a representative gives a report to the board.

If I were you I would keep an eye on this person but also understand that they are not getting paid yet providing a service to the HOA.
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/08/2019 8:44 PM  
We have the board appoint members of a committee (basically, anyone who volunteers), and the committee elects who will be the chair.
ND
(PA)

05/09/2019 4:36 AM  
In my opinion, there should be a Board Liaison for each committees (a Board Member more involved in the committee's activities than the other board members), but the chair of a committee should not be a Board Member unless unavoidable. I always saw committees as a way to lighten the load on Board Members as well as allow for non-Board Member input on things. Having a Board Member be chair puts too much burden on that Board Member to accomplish Board duties as well as do bulk of committee coordination. Also, different Board Members should be liaison for different committees, further distributing workload and also allowing for different perspectives and styles.

If the committee is not being convened and members not being contacted, have one of the committee members take the lead on preparing an email or letter to the entire Board expressing your thoughts, concerns, and desires to be involved. Copy all committee members on the email or have them sign the letter. See what happens.

I also think you have too many committees for such a small HOA. Consider combining some of them and broaden their scope. A "pet policy" committee could instead become a "rules and regulations" committee, task 1 is working pet policy. The ARB and "painting committee" should be a single committee.
ND
(PA)

05/09/2019 4:37 AM  
In my opinion, there should be a Board Liaison for each committees (a Board Member more involved in the committee's activities than the other board members), but the chair of a committee should not be a Board Member unless unavoidable. I always saw committees as a way to lighten the load on Board Members as well as allow for non-Board Member input on things. Having a Board Member be chair puts too much burden on that Board Member to accomplish Board duties as well as do bulk of committee coordination. Also, different Board Members should be liaison for different committees, further distributing workload and also allowing for different perspectives and styles.

If the committee is not being convened and members not being contacted, have one of the committee members take the lead on preparing an email or letter to the entire Board expressing your thoughts, concerns, and desires to be involved. Copy all committee members on the email or have them sign the letter. See what happens.

I also think you have too many committees for such a small HOA. Consider combining some of them and broaden their scope. A "pet policy" committee could instead become a "rules and regulations" committee, task 1 is working pet policy. The ARB and "painting committee" should be a single committee.
ChrisM29
(Florida)

05/09/2019 1:22 PM  
Thanks for your reply, TimB4. That's helpful.
ChrisM29
(Florida)

05/09/2019 1:26 PM  
Thank you, ND. You've given me very valuable input and suggestions. I am very grateful and appreciative.
GenoS
(Florida)

05/09/2019 1:57 PM  
Posted By ChrisM29 on 05/08/2019 5:16 PM
We live in a 26 unit townhome association. The president nominates the same board member to chair the ARB, the Landscaping Committee, and the Painting Committee. Any suggestions who to alter this? I don't think Florida has a law against this, but fairness is one matter. The lack of any committee meetings or responses to emails from committe members is another.

You could change your bylaws, perhaps. Our bylaws say the president appoints the committee chairs. We always have a committee or two where the same person chairs both. Some require a lot of work, others require very little work. Couple that with a chronic shortage of people who are willing to be involved and do any work at all, and we're happy with that arrangement. It doesn't happen every year.

Or vote in a new president who will spread the committee chairs around to different people.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Three committees in townhome HOA, same Chair

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement