Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, August 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: surveillance cameras outside condos
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LisaD6
(Connecticut)

05/05/2019 9:00 AM  
What are the best surveillance cameras to buy to monitor outside the condos. I prefer WIFI.. Who has had the best of luck with theirs and what brand and make are you using. Please help. So many out there Im so confused.
MarkM19
(Texas)

05/05/2019 1:16 PM  
Lisa,
You will find comparing cameras is like comparing bed mattresses. They all have different names and similar pricing. They are almost exclusively made in China these days. I would just try to get the most MPs you can afford and go with Color night vision. Night time is when most of the bad stuff happens. Hopefully you have decent lighting in the areas for the cameras.

I recommend that your board not go cheap on this purchase. It is one of the few things that will work 24/7/365 days a year. They usually have about a 7 to 10 year life expectancy and will help if anything ever happens that you need positive proof.
LetA
(Nevada)

05/05/2019 8:58 PM  
Is this for personal use or for the community?

For personal use look for cameras that are 1080p or 4k cameras are becoming available to consumers. Look for cameras that operate better in low light, and systems that have the best motion sensitivity.

For wired systems Swann, Night Owl, Lorex and Samsung are systems to compare. For wireless cameras Arlo is very popular among non DIY ers.

The benefit of a wired system is you have a fixed location for your data storage, wireless systems upload to a cloud server and usually cost a monthly subscription.
LisaD6
(Connecticut)

05/05/2019 9:18 PM  
This is for the association. And if its fixed its in my condo what happens if I leave board or sell condo. It would be a nightmare. So I want to get WIFII.. We dont have an office. Hoping some association out there has a camera system that is working great that is WIFII too. and can share what they are using.
CjC

05/06/2019 7:22 AM  
Are you going to hook it up to your wifi? Who will be providing the signal?
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/06/2019 7:41 AM  
If you don't have an office (or can't create an office) in common area, you should not (repeat NOT) have this system in your personal unit. It opens up way too many potential issues for you personally.

Additionally, prior to installing any system, the Board needs to adopt a policy about the recordings (as the recordings become part of the Association records and open for review by members). Things to have in the policy:

Who has access
how members can review
how long recordings will be kept
how requests from outside agencies (police, fire, legal) will be handled
Is the system monitored or not
Who monitors
how is monitoring tracked

Also, check to see if your allowed to record audio in your State (as it varies by State).
You may need to prevent any audio recording capability in your system if the State requires you to be part of the conversation.

Some reference material:

Surveillance Cameras within your AssociationThe potential benefits of HOA surveillance cameras and guidelines for their use from a law firm

Condo Surveillance and the Law from a new england law firm

3 Things to Include in Your HOA's Onsite-Camera Policy from HOA leader

Rulesand Regulations Governing Surveillance Camera Data and Use Within [NAME]Condominium

LisaD6
(Connecticut)

05/06/2019 8:03 AM  
Thank you sooo much.this information helps... Now I'm,looking with eyes wide open on the legality part. We will discuss st next meeting thoroughly
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/06/2019 8:28 AM  
Keep in mind that all you really need is a shelf in a secured closet to house the equipment in (providing there is some ventilation). A whole room is not required.

Additionally, consider purchasing a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for the system. This way, if there is a power outage, some or all of the system may continue to work.
LisaD6
(Connecticut)

05/06/2019 9:21 AM  
We have no area to put it in.other than a board members co do. We are townhouses. Main thing is to look over the dumpster area
RoyalP

05/06/2019 10:52 AM  
no electrical closets ?

no fire suppression sprinkler room ?

no lighting near said dumpsters ?

no lit CBU mailbox area ?

etc.

(wall mounted receiver 'box')
JaredC
(Texas)

05/06/2019 11:08 AM  
I'm a computer guy telling you that you need a computer guy. There are so many issues regarding the technical feasability of WiFi cameras in your environment that the only way to even begin to look at the issue is to have someone do a site survey which will then drive your product choices.

Remember anything can be done it's just a matter of how much money it will cost.
LisaD6
(Connecticut)

05/06/2019 11:19 AM  
no to all except yes there is a nice bright outside lantern light and a flood light by the dumpster area. We are samll with three buildings in a horseshoe. there are no community common area room or building.
LisaD6
(Connecticut)

05/06/2019 11:20 AM  
I would think I need someone who knows a lot more than computers for WIFI and bands and all. like a cable or phone guy. A lot of computer guys I know wouldnt know a lot about this stuff. Maybe the NCR box or NVR box outside is full game.
JaredC
(Texas)

05/06/2019 11:33 AM  
Welp based on that scenario you've basically knocked most products out of contention for your solution.

You have a constant power source so you will need a camera that connects via the cellular network and uploads data to the cloud.

Like others I would immediately rule out any scenario where the DVR equipment and/or Internet access point resides within anyone's home.
GenoS
(Florida)

05/06/2019 2:42 PM  
Posted By LisaD6 on 05/06/2019 11:20 AM
I would think I need someone who knows a lot more than computers for WIFI and bands and all. like a cable or phone guy. A lot of computer guys I know wouldnt know a lot about this stuff. Maybe the NCR box or NVR box outside is full game.

Any "computer guy" who doesn't know his WiFi stuff can't be very good at what he does. Networking, both wired and wireless, is part and parcel of computing systems these days. I wouldn't hire a "computer guy" who wasn't able to diagnose a WiFi problem.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

05/07/2019 12:54 PM  
Hire a legitimate company that specializes in property security and partner/hire them. None of this consumer equipment business is sufficient and actually makes an HOA board look more voyeuristic than committed to security.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

05/07/2019 4:10 PM  
No reason you cant have a volunteer web cam network. Yi cam sells for $28 for 1080p and supports upto 12 cameras per account. Find 12 people willing to plug on in to their porch or into the lamp post in the yard and connect to their home wifi and you have a mini neighborhood watch program with no monthly fees.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > surveillance cameras outside condos

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement