Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, May 25, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Air Conditioning unit
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JamesK18
(Colorado)

04/22/2019 4:06 PM  
I live in Littleton Colorado and I Purchased my townhome in 2009 the air Conditioning unit was on the east side of my building last month the Hoa asked me to disconnect the air-conditioner unit and move it inside my garage temporary so they can do some backfilled and get rid of some of the landscaping on the side of my gun it this morning I got the letter and Hoa. Asked me to re-locate my air-conditioner units to the northside of my unit I was wondering if they can do that since I Purchased a townhome nine years ago with the air conditioner on the west side
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/22/2019 4:47 PM  
Yes. They need to do work on the common area. Your unit is blocking that work. Your HOA can also move it for you and send you the bill if you refuse. So would you like to do it at your cost or the HOA's?

Former HOA President
JamesK18
(Colorado)

04/22/2019 4:50 PM  
I did remove it but now they want me to re-locate the whole unit from the Westside to the northside and I was wondering if they can ask Me to relocate the unit since that unit has been on west side of my unit for ever
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/22/2019 5:12 PM  
Well yes they can. They need to do work on that side. Just because it's been there since you purchased, doesn't mean you don't ever need to move it. The HOA never had to do this work before. Now that they do, they have ASKED you to move it during this work. It's good they are asking because they can move it and send you the bill for it.

Former HOA President
KerryL1
(California)

04/22/2019 8:28 PM  
Welcome to the forum, James. Please be skeptical of Melissa's advice. I'm not knowledgable about this topic, but your governing documents, let's say your CC&Rs, might have something in them about AC units and yours & the Assocation's obligations about them.

You say you got a letter form the "HOA." does that mean the board president? Or the property manager?
JamesK18
(Colorado)

04/22/2019 8:31 PM  
I got the letter from HOA but i contacted HOA and they said board told them to send me a letter . Board includes 3 people which includes a guy and his wife and one of his family its a joke
GenoS
(Florida)

04/22/2019 10:34 PM  
Welcome, JamesK18. There's a bit of a terminology problem. You say you contacted "the HOA" and they told you "the Board" told them to send you the letter. Here's the problem: the HOA IS the Board for all intents and purposes. So what you've written doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I agree with Kerry. Are you speaking of your property management company, perhaps?
LetA
(Nevada)

04/23/2019 5:11 AM  
Is this a window AC or central air unit? If it is a central unit, I don't think they can compel you to, window unit yes.
JamesK18
(Colorado)

04/23/2019 5:54 AM  
YesYes i am so sorry i got the letter from property management and I contacted them to see what they are talking about and they told ke board told them to send me that letter . I was. My question is my ac unit was on west side of my building (in common area ) since they build my unit and now all the sudden board decided to tell me to change it to the north side
JamesK18
(Colorado)

04/23/2019 5:55 AM  
Its a central air unit
RichardP13
(California)

04/23/2019 6:41 AM  
Melissa is clueless. If the HOA wants it moved, it is on their dime.

Been there, Done that
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/23/2019 7:12 AM  
Yeah ... would agree if it’s the compressor unit for a central HVAC system, then not sure you can told to move it, unless there s some negotiation and the HOA pays for the work.

I’m really unclear on why it needs to be moved ... pretty big deal doing so ...if moved to other side of house, gotta run power and how new set of refrigerant lines ... big cost.
LmT
(California)

04/23/2019 7:48 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 04/22/2019 5:12 PM
Well yes they can. They need to do work on that side. Just because it's been there since you purchased, doesn't mean you don't ever need to move it. The HOA never had to do this work before. Now that they do, they have ASKED you to move it during this work. It's good they are asking because they can move it and send you the bill for it.

Melissa. You frequently are the first to jump in with a response before fully reading, or understanding, the OP.

In this instance James made it clear (if you read carefully before jumping on the keyboard) that his question was regarding being asked first to move his AC while work is carried out and then to relocate his AC unit. Not who would pay for it. Richard and Kerry are right.

Your tone is, all too often, aggressive and not in the spirit of this forum.

To James, I would think being asked to relocate you central AC unit is a big job and probably an expensive exercise. If the HOA is doing work in the common area and needs your AC moved, they should be asking your permission and when you grant them that permission, they should both pay for it and do the moving by a licensed AC contractors.

But that's just my opinion.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

04/23/2019 9:57 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 04/23/2019 7:12 AM
Yeah ... would agree if it’s the compressor unit for a central HVAC system, then not sure you can told to move it, unless there s some negotiation and the HOA pays for the work.

I’m really unclear on why it needs to be moved ... pretty big deal doing so ...if moved to other side of house, gotta run power and how new set of refrigerant lines ... big cost.

Agree with George.

Can't think of any justification for the Board's 2nd request.

If location of compressor was in violation when you bought the house in 2009, you should have been notified. If you didn't get any notice back then, you had every right to expect that you wouldn't get demands to change the location just because someone doesn't like how it looks today.

How does a Board retroactively decide that the original location of your compressor is a violation? Beats me. Without a vote of the owners who are expected to eat such a big expense? Nonsense.

The dilemma of course is that the location of your compressor is now in limbo. I suggest that you get a few of your neighbors together to discuss how to stop your Board from making any demands beyond the 1st request - which you complied with - but only with the reasonable and natural expectation that you would put it back in the same location when the work was done.

Best of luck.

Je publie un degagement de toutes responsabilite. Read all posts at your own risk.
BillH10
(Texas)

04/23/2019 10:47 AM  
JamesK

No one has really mentioned it but the expense of the temporary move of your compressor unit to the garage while the association performs work on the common area is on the association's dime, not yours.

You should not be responsible for one single cent of expense in any of this. The temps in Colorado are pretty moderate right now so lack of AC should not be an issue. I lived in Denver for a couple of years while serving in the Air Force. If this were taking place in July, I would ask the association to cover the expense of alternative living arrangements as well.
KerryL1
(California)

04/23/2019 10:48 AM  
As good as som of these replies seem to be, I think that IF RoyalP reviews the replies, he'd be a really help here.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

04/23/2019 1:50 PM  
Too many variables.

? Split ductless system ?

? Coventional inside/outside system ?

? Package Unit ?

Is the requested relocation 5 feet around the corner or 40 feet ?

Was the unit 'originally' located (albeit many years ago) improperly ?

Who would be responsible for 'future problems' after the relocation of a properly running unit ?

HVAC compressors are VERY VERY expensive to remove and reinstall PROPERLY, much less relocate.

"Conventually" relocated unit will probably run OK for a short period before failing, IMO, then what ?

NOW would be the ideal time for a new unit !

Properly purged as per good/best practice NOT merely code compliant.

(after location is 'engraved in stone')
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Air Conditioning unit

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement