Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: 10725 Ohio Home Owners Association
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
KocoY
(California)

04/20/2019 9:07 PM  
A week ago a girl in unit 201 shut off the water to the whole building. No notifications, no signs, no notice of when the plumber will be out. Nothing. I went to bed and woke up to no water. She claims no plumber would answer at 8 PM but said she started cleaning up water at 3 PM....now today I go to pick up my parents(my mother is handicapped) for them to stay with me and what do you know,the elevator is broken. No signs, no notice...4 hours later there is a sign that says "repair in progress" I can assure you there is no repairman. We use to have one of the owners basically be the maintenance man but when he told the girl in unit 201 that she shouldn't of turned off the water and should have called a plumber the girl in 201 went off on him told him that no one in the building like him and that she is calling the cops on him. I cant even make.this up. My window was open and I overheard it. So now he wont talk to anyone or fix anything. He isnt an employee so he shouldn't have to but he was so helpful. So now I have to pay for a hotel because there is no way my mother can walk up and down these steps....why do I pay hoa fees if nothing is done properly and when someone tries to say anything they get the cops called on them. Said part is I looked up the hoa and its suspended for not paying taxes..also they have "acting board members" I'm very confused about this. How can you be an acting board member? This is the worst building I have ever lived in.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/20/2019 11:12 PM  
Do you have a specific question or just venting? Things happen and they suck. My work the elevator breaks all the time. I work on the 3rd floor and have a bad knee. It happens and no warning. Took days to fix because elevator repairs don't happen overnight. Parts take time to come in and few companies fix them.

Your HOA should ALWAYS hire someone licensed and insured to do any work. A friendly neighbor doing the work is a bad idea. Good intentions doesn't equal good work or ideas. What if a fix they do causes the whole place to go up in flames? Insurance may not cover a thing.

Water leaks can be very damaging. Shutting off the water may have been the only option to stop more damages. There isn't always a 24/7 plumber services available. Plus it's expensive for off hours repairs. If you can't afford it and you have a leak what else do you do? Do your best to PREVENT more damage, wait for the morning. Plus you don't let the "good intentioned" into your home to fix it.

So far don't see what the HOA has to do with your issue other than you live in one.

Former HOA President
KocoY
(California)

04/21/2019 1:38 AM  
I have no issues of her turning off the water, but it would of be nice to know that it was going to be off all night and into the morning so I could of went to the gym and got ready. I get the elevator can take time to fix but they dont have to lie and say it's being repaired if the person wont be here until Monday. I would just like proper communication. I dont even know if I live in an HOA because it has been suspended. I guess my question would be is it okay for them to not give full details? Are they an hoa if they are suspended? Just seems like they always cover their own ass. I'd just prefer to know the full details. I understand things happen but if she couldn't afford an emergency plumber just say that. I've lived in other HOAs and they were on point and always gave more than enough detail. I just would love better communication and everytime I complain they never answer me back.
RoyalP

04/21/2019 6:06 AM  
you are unhappy where you reside

..... relocate .....

you will now hear much tauric ka-ka
KocoY
(California)

04/21/2019 11:33 AM  
I wish I could, but I spent too much on this place. Thinking the HOA would be decent. I live in Los Angeles.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/21/2019 1:35 PM  
Things like you describe happen to all of us ...

Questions -

First - hopefully no "girls" are involved. Is this another owner?

Second - is there a management company?

Third - the other person shut off the water to the entire building - did she have a big leak in her unit?

Fourth - it's your mother that lives in the condo, or you, or both?

Fifth - who would normally call a plumber? Is it the other owner in 201, or a member of the management company?

Sixth - has the elevator broken previously?

OK - I am really confused ... this all seems pretty random, but normal ...
KocoY
(California)

04/21/2019 2:37 PM  
1) Yes girls are invovled, when the water was off I was on my monthly cycle.

2) no management company but people have suggested this and they refuse to hire one, even though the hoa is suspended and they obviously need one.

3) no leak in her unit. Her P trap was installed wrongly and water was backing into her sink. But no leak.

4) I live here, but my mother was visiting and i had to pay for a hotel due to the elevator situation. My mother cant walk.

5) The old director they kicked out of the hoa would of called, but they all just talk crap about him because he wanted to enforce the CC&Rs and by-laws. He was very much on top of everything. But after he complained about livestock in the building they kicked him out. I've even heard one of the girls planning on "beating" up his gf now. It's so ridiculous....

6)The elevator has broke before but the old director always had someone out within hours, or would let us all know the time schdueled for the repairman to come out. There was no suprises with him.

KocoY
(California)

04/21/2019 2:41 PM  
Well now the elevator is "magically" working so they do not think they need a repairman to come out and see what the issue was. Instead I heard them yelling at the old director saying he was calling people to come out as an "emergency" then he said "no, I'm not involved in the HOA anymore you guys wanted me out so I have done nothing" honestly I feel bad for him because they are all mean to him but when he was in charge I had no suprises.
RoyalP

04/22/2019 6:32 AM  
MOOOOOOVE

or

be silent
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/22/2019 12:27 PM  
Koco,

Run for the Board ... make changes you and your neighbors want.
RoyalP

04/23/2019 6:55 AM  
sooooooo

we want ANOTHER clueless person with an agenda to be an executor ?!

! nutshell of the entire issue with HOAs in general !

bs-meter

KocoY
(California)

04/23/2019 1:11 PM  
I agree, I am very clueless on HOAs I think we could benefit from a management company.
RoyalP

04/24/2019 6:39 AM  
Apparently your ELECTED Board of Directors disagree.

Based upon my personal desire for a simple worry-free life style:

If you don't like where you live, MOOOOOVE.

or

Spend virtually all your free time becoming knowledgeable and fighting to attain the change(s) you desire.

or

Simply live in peace and quiet.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/24/2019 11:08 AM  
Koco,

It sounds like you and your neighbors should get busy learning your documents, communicating with you BoD, attending board meetings - organize and run you neighborhood.
KocoY
(California)

04/25/2019 7:31 PM  
No, they were never elected. They just kicked out the one person who was doing it all and then took over. They are all saying they are "acting" they arent holding elections until the 7th. The only reason why they are pretending to care is because someone who they all really close to has livestock in the. Building when he asked her nicely to get rid of it
RoyalP

04/26/2019 6:57 AM  
bs-meter
KocoY
(California)

05/14/2019 10:37 AM  
Now another home owner is selling and the hoa just decided against a new roof and having a friend of one of the owners who is not licensed to fix the roof. Multiple people have expressed their concerns. So someone is buying into a place that the roof is 50 years old and the hoa is suspended and has been for 5 years and expect these people to pay an hoa fee? I'm confused. Please help me understand as no one replies to my emails anymore.
RichardP13
(California)

05/14/2019 10:58 AM  
Did anyone take note that 10725 Ohio Home Owners Association is the name of their association. I thought that was against posting rules.

haha

Been there, Done that
KocoY
(California)

05/14/2019 11:55 AM  
On my paperwork it's a different name....they have a few different names. I really dont know if that's their legit name. I apologize if it is or against rules but the paper work I have that I received when I bought says something different.
RichardP13
(California)

05/14/2019 11:57 AM  
Doesn't bother me, but not speaking for other. According to the Secretary of State website, that is a legitimate name, if the building is from 1978.

Been there, Done that
RichardP13
(California)

05/14/2019 12:07 PM  
Posted By KocoY on 05/14/2019 11:55 AM
On my paperwork it's a different name....they have a few different names. I really dont know if that's their legit name. I apologize if it is or against rules but the paper work I have that I received when I bought says something different.

Your paperwork probably shows Las Palmas.

Been there, Done that
KocoY
(California)

05/14/2019 12:10 PM  
Yes that's what the paperwork says. They never told me the name change? And the paper in the elevator says the name that's in my paperwors
RichardP13
(California)

05/14/2019 12:22 PM  
The Condo Riders on all the properties have either Las Palmas or the Ohio name. It appears the complex was built in 196 under Las Palmas and changed in 1979 to Ohio.

Been there, Done that
KocoY
(California)

05/14/2019 12:48 PM  
Hmm everything seems to have Las palmas that I have. I know they are suspended. Do you know what I should do about the roof? They are having someone not licensed come and fix it. If he falls our insurance probably wont be valid. I don't want to get sued over their mistakes
RichardP13
(California)

05/14/2019 1:04 PM  
What I would do is call a Town Hall meeting with all the owner and have them insist that the Board hired a licensed roofer. Also they need to insist that the HOA has workers comp insurance, especially since you're a condo.

Been there, Done that
KocoY
(California)

05/14/2019 2:56 PM  
Well we are a small building and most of the owners are the board....they think hiring a hotel maintenance guy is okay.
RoyalP

05/14/2019 4:12 PM  
Y'all own $800,000+ condos and are going el cheapo on roof repairs ?!

(10725 Ohio Ave, Los Angeles, CA)

gen-Mid-19-462702-15-1

(i knew it was going to be a bunch of tauric kaka)

RichardP13
(California)

05/14/2019 4:22 PM  
Hell, that's a bargain there. They have condo's over $4M just a couple of blocks away on Wilshire Blvd

Been there, Done that
KocoY
(California)

05/14/2019 6:02 PM  
Yes. Thays why I cant afford to move. But idk why they arent willing to fix the roof?
KocoY
(California)

05/14/2019 6:07 PM  
Yes it is a bargain,but not when the roof is about to cave in....
NicoleO5
(California)

05/15/2019 6:37 PM  
I will say this. I have lived in my building ( an HOA a very long time ) I was pulled on my board shortly after shoeing interests in the property. I have served most of my years here. I would step down and low and behold the BOARD would be doing things that didn't make sense, or making poor decisions. I didn't like seeing them not maintaining the property. I stepped back up. We have done more in the last year at our HOA then the boob and the cronies did in the 3 yeas I was off. You don't like what you see.. don't complain.. either get on and help or move.
NicoleO5
(California)

05/15/2019 6:38 PM  
LMAO. thats hysterical.
KocoY
(California)

05/16/2019 8:25 PM  
They wouldn't let me. I've tried at their last election....
CathyA3
(Ohio)

05/17/2019 7:57 AM  
Posted By KocoY on 05/16/2019 8:25 PM

No one can refuse to sit a duly elected board member. Only the homeowners can decide who gets to serve (with one exception, which is when current board members appoint someone to fill an open position). On the other hand, if the others simply did a better job of campaigning, well, that's how these things work.

However, even if you are elected to the board, there is a limit to what you can accomplish as a director. One well-informed and capable board member will not be able to stop bad decisions if the other board members are determined to make them. As a former board e president, I had to accept that no one is able to protect others from their own foolishness. In such situations, it's time to let natural consequences show others the error of their ways.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

05/17/2019 9:33 AM  
Posted By KocoY on 05/16/2019 8:25 PM

And what reason did they give you?
KocoY
(California)

05/22/2019 12:08 PM  
They never gave me an excuse but I complained that no one follows the CC&Rs and by-laws and I'd like to enforce that. They got all mad and now dont even email me anymore. Oh well.
KocoY
(California)

05/22/2019 12:11 PM  

Thank you for your input.  And extra thanks F for always saying everything so respectfully, kindly, and graciously. 

I suspect that we can all come up with some personal reason not to contribute to doing the work of taking care of the building.  We all have our personal stresses and challenges.  But taking care of the building cannot be put on hold because the consequences can be more costly and painful.  

Thank goodness so many of you care and have stepped up to contribute.  I am so touched by all your efforts.   I believe there should be the option of buy-out fees for those who cannot or just plainly do not want to do any of the work.  It will be lower for an owner who lives in the building (like S) because s can still come to meetings and contribute that way.  It will be higher for owners who rent out their units and are not involved at all.  

We can discuss at HOA meeting

That was the last email I was sent. So I guess if you rent, then you pay more in fees? Idk? I dont think that's okay or legal?
KocoY
(California)

05/22/2019 2:32 PM  
Do the bylaws or CCR's specifically prohibit it?  I doubt it.  If we decided to give people the option of paying in lieu of service, we could simply raise everyone's monthly dues, and then give a rebate to everyone who served.  The by-laws do not specific any particular amount of dues.

M.km

This is the newest email sent out...smh. I'm having another owner forward them to me. This email was done by a lawyer....smh. I thought they cant get compensated for their duties?
KocoY
(California)

05/22/2019 5:48 PM  
Or, it might be that people agree to contribute their services instead of having to pay a management company which will increase the monthly dues. In that case, subject to complying with applicable law, perhaps those owners who do not contribute anything in terms of service (e.g., the absentee owners who rent out their units and whose tenants don't contribute services), could pay an extra amount each month in lieu of contributing services, so the overall arrangement would be more equitable for all.  

New email, from hoa...
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > 10725 Ohio Home Owners Association

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement