Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, May 25, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: D&O ins coverage
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TeresaR4
(Arizona)

04/20/2019 7:12 AM  
We have a basic D&O policy designed for start ups with a developer still evolved. Our Ins carrier recommends we move to a standard policy. The developer is long gone. Some BOD members challenge the recommendation.Cost!I tend to be risk adverse and want to upgrade the coverage. Plus, I rely on the Ins broker as a professional.Im quite uncomfortable serving as BOD with out adequate insurance coverage. I feel BOD candidates have a right to know they may be undercovered. I am assigned to get quote and info. Any thoughts or points on experience on this subject. I am one of five votes and need to present compelling info.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

04/20/2019 7:43 AM  
First off, check your governing documents to see if there are any specific requirements for D&O insurance.

Insurance is one of those areas that tempt people to be penny wise and dollar foolish. I would ask the other board members if they are prepared to put their personal finances at risk if the association is under insured and the board gets sued. We are a litigious society, and HOAs seem to bring out the worst in some folks.

My association is insured up to $2 million for D&O claims, and we have an umbrella policy as well. I also beefed up my personal liability insurance after I was elected to the board.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/20/2019 8:54 AM  
Cathy's advice is spot-on and good. Just wanted to add since cost is a factor, that payment options may be available. Our insurance company let us do 10 month payments. Which helped fit in the expense into our budget. Otherwise, some want a lump sum or 6 months. 10 -12 months lowers the payments.

Many HOA insurance companies like to "bundle" services. That may be confusing to some as we often like to pick and choose options. That may not be an option due to bundling. For example we did not own a "HOA vehicle". Our insurance had it in the policy to cover one. We could not take it out of the bundle. However, what the insurance then meant to cover was if a board member was in their personal vehicle and has an accident, the insurance could kick in to cover certain expenses. So if I was going to the bookkeeper's office across town and had an accident. My insurance would pay but I could claim my deductible with the HOA's insurance. So look at certain bundled services at a different angle than "Hey the HOA doesn't own a car".

I think board member should be covered by insurance. Some may even want to get additional insurance on their own with their insurance company. Especially when you have people who want to sue because a needle dropped on the ground and it put them at risk of stepping on it....

Another thing to evaluate is if you have coverages for HOA property like clubhouses. The price of replacement changes over the years. If your clubhouse was to burn down today, would the insurance cover 80% of the replacement costs? The members of the HOA would be on the hook for the other 20% plus deductible. So do a check on can your HOA afford what could be a $20K + expense for clubhouse replacement or raise the insurance coverages?

Former HOA President
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

04/20/2019 12:06 PM  
We have a basic D&O policy designed for start ups with a developer still evolved. Our Ins carrier recommends we move to a standard policy.

Makes me think your not properly covered. If you had a claim and the policy was designed for X and you have a policy designed for Y they could deny you coverage for Z lawsuit because you were not specifically paying for that coverage. No doubt your insurance policy will be looked over with a fine tooth comb if you are ever sued. They will use any legal tool they have to get out of it.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

04/20/2019 12:12 PM  
.... and if your paying on a policy that will never have to be paid out on, its a win for the insurance company. All profit, no loss.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/20/2019 12:45 PM  
I would never serve on a BoD without full D&O insurance coverage.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement