Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: 24/7 gym usage
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AngelS2
(Florida)

04/18/2019 5:16 AM  
Good morning all,
Are there any restrictions as far as having owners and guests access to our fitness center? I am the VP and been taking lots of calls to allow easy access to beach and gym area after hours...
Thanks in advance....
MarkM31
(Washington)

04/18/2019 5:19 AM  
Any restrictions as in laws?
AngelS2
(Florida)

04/18/2019 5:47 AM  
yes
RoyalP

04/18/2019 5:58 AM  
ask a lawyer

seriously
SamE2
(New Jersey)

04/18/2019 7:15 AM  
Are there any laws/requirements concerning them during normal hours? I would think the laws would be the same 24/7. If there are laws/requirements the question would be how to make sure they are met?
KerryL1
(California)

04/18/2019 9:16 AM  
Others have replied about laws. Does your Association have any rules about fitness center usage? How do residents access the gym?

How do residents access the beach? Do you have a rule that stats resent s must accompany their guests to these areas?
AngelS2
(Florida)

04/18/2019 10:28 AM  
Gym opens from 7am to 8pm and monitored by gym attendant. the problem is that many owners want to access other times.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

04/18/2019 10:40 AM  
Posted By AngelS2 on 04/18/2019 10:28 AM
Gym opens from 7am to 8pm and monitored by gym attendant. the problem is that many owners want to access other times.

Have a nice long chat with your insurance agent about effect on liability and premiums for un-staffed hours of use.

Je publie un degagement de toutes responsabilite. Read all posts at your own risk.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

04/18/2019 11:41 AM  
I doubt that there is any state law that mandates that a common amenity like a gym needs to be open 24 hours. The board will generally have the authority to determine staffing hours and whether the facility would be available during unstaffed hours. If there are enough owners who think things should be done otherwise, then they should identify potential board candidates that support that position to run at the next election and work to get them elected.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
KerryL1
(California)

04/18/2019 11:45 AM  
I'll try again, Angel: Does your HOA have any rules about gym usage, ie., time, if guests must be accompanies by residents, etc.

Ditto, the beach. Also, HOW do residents get access to these recreational amenities.
AngelS2
(Florida)

04/18/2019 1:20 PM  
Yes, we have rules and regs and never had an issue. It just that we have both; condo and hotel so many guests are also asking to use it very early in the morning.
KerryL1
(California)

04/18/2019 1:32 PM  
Oh--I missed that part of your HOA is a hotel. Sorry. Seems like there would be statutes and laws you must follow that are different than if you solely were a residential homeowners Assocation.
FredS7
(Arizona)

04/18/2019 2:41 PM  
Presumably you have an attendant for insurance/ safety reasons.

So you need to either (1) discuss with your insurance company about having it open without an attendant or (2) hire more attendants for 24 hour access.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/18/2019 3:55 PM  
Posted By FredS7 on 04/18/2019 2:41 PM
Presumably you have an attendant for insurance/ safety reasons.

So you need to either (1) discuss with your insurance company about having it open without an attendant or (2) hire more attendants for 24 hour access.

This is how to proceed.
LetA
(Nevada)

04/19/2019 12:13 AM  
Split the baby, extend your hours on a daily basis. lets say 8am to 10pm Sunday to Thursday and 8am to Midnight Fri & Sat.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/19/2019 6:12 AM  
Alternatively, you could simply keep it the way it has always been ...

If there is no superseding rule from the state or county or city, then just smile and say thank you for your input.

Depends how what percentage want the expansion of hours.
RoyalP

04/19/2019 6:37 AM  
AND are willing to PAY for said expansion .....

attendant
utilities
maintenance
insurance
etc.

KerryL1
(California)

04/19/2019 7:59 AM  
Our gym is open 5am - midnight. We don't have an attendant, but I guess you need one, Angel because of the hotel?
GenoS
(Florida)

04/19/2019 8:15 PM  
Posted By DouglasK1 on 04/18/2019 11:41 AM
I doubt that there is any state law that mandates that a common amenity like a gym needs to be open 24 hours. The board will generally have the authority to determine staffing hours and whether the facility would be available during unstaffed hours. If there are enough owners who think things should be done otherwise, then they should identify potential board candidates that support that position to run at the next election and work to get them elected.

I'm glad I read the whole thread before responding because this would have been my response, too.

The hotel side vs the condo side of the operation is probably important and I also agree with others who think the insurance ramifications might hold the ultimate answer.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement