Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, October 17, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Interest in New Jersey
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SamE2
(New Jersey)

04/15/2019 10:26 AM  
Does anyone know what the maximum interest a HOA can charge an owner for past due assessment? Docs say what the law allows.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/15/2019 12:56 PM  
It varies state to state I believe. Rough estimate is whatever your credit card company can charge. Has something to do with prime rate. Typically 5 -6 % interest.

Former HOA President
CjC

04/15/2019 1:17 PM  
Our HOA charges 18% interest
SamE2
(New Jersey)

04/15/2019 1:33 PM  
Thanks CjC.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/15/2019 1:54 PM  
Typically an HOA can go as high as the state allows which in most cases is 18% a year. They also can add "service" charges and if turned over to an attorney, the attorney can add charges. I know of one situation where the person owed 3 years of due ($1,800) but with interest, service charges, and legal costs, they owed over $5,000.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/15/2019 4:10 PM  
A simple internet search provided the answer.

See:

https://davidrichlaw.com/what-rate-of-interest-can-my-business-lawfully-charge-in-new-jersey/
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/15/2019 4:27 PM  
Sam,

See Tim’s reference ...

You did a thorough search prior to posting, right?
KerryL1
(California)

04/15/2019 4:51 PM  
You know, George? You so often seem like a very kind & warm person. Other times you are hypercritical & judgmental about tiny things that often aren't the subject of the O.P.

There is no requirement here to do a search before folks post a question. Some don't know how; some have time issues.
Actually help might be to suggest to Sam how to do the search.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

04/15/2019 4:53 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 04/15/2019 4:27 PM
Sam,

See Tim’s reference ...

You did a thorough search prior to posting, right?

I did George, thanks for asking. I also read the link but I can't tell if it applies to HOAs that have units that are past due. It may but I'm not sure from reading it. It seems it is more focused on businesses that are selling products on credit and my HOA is not selling any products we are just dealing with trying to collect money that is owed to us.
RichardP13

04/15/2019 4:57 PM  
This from a HOA in New Jersey.

Section 9. Interest and Counsel Fees. The Board, at its option, shall have the right in connection with the collection of this, or any other charge, to impose a late fee, or an interest charge at the legal maximum rateif such payment is made after a certain date stated in such notice. In the event that the Board shall effectuate collection of said charges by resort to counsel, the Board may add to the aforesaid charge or charges a sum or sums of twenty (20%) per cent of the gross amount due as counsel fees, in addition to such costs allowable by law.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/15/2019 5:31 PM  
Gee, Kerry ... I’ll try to be more consistent.
KerryL1
(California)

04/15/2019 5:31 PM  
You know, George? You so often seem like a very kind & warm person. Other times you are hypercritical & judgmental about tiny things that often aren't the subject of the O.P.

There is no requirement here to do a search before folks post a question. Some don't know how; some have time issues.
Actually help might be to suggest to Sam how to do the search.
RoyalP

04/16/2019 6:37 AM  
https://davidrichlaw.com/what-rate-of-interest-can-my-business-lawfully-charge-in-new-jersey/
SamE2
(New Jersey)

04/16/2019 1:05 PM  
Posted By RoyalP on 04/16/2019 6:37 AM

I read that and don't know if it answers my question. I'm asking what interest rate can I charge someone past due on his HOA laws. It says loans have to be between 6 - 16 percent. Is someone being past due considered a loan? It also says there are many exceptions but does not list them. Is a past due account an exception? Thanks for the post.
RichardP13

04/16/2019 1:10 PM  
N.J.S.A. 54:4-67 states that delinquency in real estate taxes can accrue interest at up to 8% per annum for the first $1,500 that is delinquent and 18% per annum for any amount in excess of $1,500. Therefore, if an association has language in its bylaws similar to that set forth above, it may assess interest plus late fees (or as an alternative to late fees) at the maximum rates provide for in N.J.S.A. 54:4-67.

You want want to get a lawyer involved.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

04/16/2019 1:21 PM  
Thanks Richard that helps. I will call attorney if we can't work something out but right now we are offering a settlement at less than 6 percent so we should be good.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Interest in New Jersey

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement