Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Garage door
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PamG4
(California)

04/11/2019 2:17 PM  
I am a member of a HOA and currently struggling with a citation for our garage door. Under our CC&Rs, owner is to maintain all the hardwares and the HoA maintain and repair the external surface, including the painting thereof. Now I backed into the door a few years ago and the door was repaired and currently operated without any problems. The two lower panes have some minor dents on it but there is no rust or mechanical problem. They have wrongfully cited us for not keeping our door “neat, clean, and attractive” and would like us to replace the entire door. However this explicitly applies to exclusive use areas (patio/deck) not doors. We requested that they give us a proper citation so that we can move forward. We have got no real response and now apparently some document is being set from their legal. I think they are claiming that since the we the owner cause the damage, we are responsible for the cost of the repair/replacement.... which we have, just not to original condition.

My question is what is our obligations as to “maintaining” the door. It is operational and not structurally compromised. There is nothing on the documents regard to “beauty clause” except that we have to maintain the entire general property in “good repair”. Can they make us do it just because they want to? We are not demanding that they fix it. We are actually in escrow and the door passed physical contingency with no comments attached. (The dents were disclosed). Therefore, our buyers are not requesting this repair as well as physician contingency has already been lifted.

What am I missing??? 😬
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/11/2019 3:47 PM  
Posted By PamG4 on 04/11/2019 2:17 PM

I think they are claiming that since the we the owner cause the damage, we are responsible for the cost of the repair/replacement.... which we have, just not to original condition.

I think you answered your own question.

Since your selling, the HOA doesn't want the fight with the new owner.

PamG4
(California)

04/11/2019 4:23 PM  
I guess my question is what is the standard industry expectation in term of garage door repair? That is becomes dent free?
KerryL1
(California)

04/11/2019 4:33 PM  
Your docs, Pam say, you'll maintain the entire general property in “good repair”. To me that means dent-free. Don't know if there's an industry standard, but our condo balconies must have a "good appearance," which also is kinda vague. Still, moat would agree that bent balcony rails that can be seen by other units' residents, wouldn't be in a "good appearance" or" good repair."
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

04/11/2019 4:50 PM  
Forget about what is right or wrong for a minute. The real questions are:

1.) Do you want to sell your house now? If so replace the door.
2.) What's cheaper? Replacing the door or hiring a lawyer?

Sometimes you have to choose your battles, wisely regardless of how you feel, and in this case it may be prudent to replace the door. It's your call...

John
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/11/2019 8:50 PM  
C’mon, having a dented garage door, and expecting others to think it is in good repair, is nutty.
RichardP13
(California)

04/11/2019 9:29 PM  
Unless the HOA presents to escrow a document saying that there is a violation against the unit, it will be up to the new owner to comply with the HOA. It was disclosedd to the new owner and passed.

Been there, Done that
PamG4
(California)

04/11/2019 9:38 PM  
Just to put it in perspective though, we have signatures from all Our neighbors in the drive way that they do not believe the damage to be a problem. We needed to point out the dents to majority of them.
LetA
(Nevada)

04/11/2019 11:56 PM  
Pam, your soon to be EX HOA is overly picky, save the aggravation to yourself and the new owner and just replace the dented panels. Give the new owner a piece of mind moving in. Something like this will come back to bite you, and it will be more costly then.
GenoS
(Florida)

04/12/2019 3:25 AM  
Posted By PamG4 on 04/11/2019 4:23 PM
I guess my question is what is the standard industry expectation in term of garage door repair? That is becomes dent free?

Dent-free sounds good to me.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/12/2019 4:28 AM  
PAM

You damaged the door. You fix it. Our HOA is responsible for the outside shell of ones homes but only for normal wear and tear. You damage something, you pay for repair.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

04/12/2019 6:41 AM  
..... which we have, just not to original condition. .....

1) you said it, not i

2) a 'proper' repair should be invisible

? did you have the door repaired or merely 'patched' ?

sheez ... simply comply with your contract / covenant and RESTORE the door, not merely patch it

or

as you seem to be doing: relocate somewhere more 'lax'

but

repair the door FIRST
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

04/12/2019 7:34 AM  
Posted By PamG4 on 04/11/2019 9:38 PM
Just to put it in perspective though, we have signatures from all Our neighbors in the drive way that they do not believe the damage to be a problem. We needed to point out the dents to majority of them.

So?

You dented the door. Fix it.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/12/2019 8:40 AM  
repeating ...

"C’mon, having a dented garage door, and expecting others to think it is in good repair, is nutty."
FredS7
(Arizona)

04/12/2019 12:44 PM  
I can imagine a dent small enough not to require repair.

However it is unlikely to produce such a small dent with a car.

I tend to side with the HOA here.

(Have you considered fiberglass repair as used for auto bodies?)
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/12/2019 1:58 PM  
Posted By FredS7 on 04/12/2019 12:44 PM
I can imagine a dent small enough not to require repair.

However it is unlikely to produce such a small dent with a car.

I tend to side with the HOA here.

(Have you considered fiberglass repair as used for auto bodies?)

Be careful here. Our HOA demands identical garage doors. Material, shape, color, panel size and placement, etc.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement