Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: work order software
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SyG
(New York)

04/09/2019 5:10 PM  
Can anyone recommend work order software?
We would use it for assigning jobs to our handyman and also for outside contractors.
Thanks
S.G.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

04/09/2019 6:41 PM  
How many handymen and contractors are good at using high tech software? None.

Simply use an excel sheet or google sheets and track it yourself and use a phone with your voice to see if they are getting the job done.
ND
(PA)

04/10/2019 6:36 AM  
Posted By SteveM9 on 04/09/2019 6:41 PM
How many handymen and contractors are good at using high tech software? None.

Yup, handymen and contractors are dumb and not tech savvy like us BODs and MCs who can use such high-tech software like a simple work order input and processing application.

That's a ridiculous, inaccurate generalization.

Depending on volume of work orders, I could see software being significantly useful at keeping order and lessening the labor of all involved.

Unfortunately I don't have any good pieces of software to offer, but I'm sure Googling will produce plenty of results worth investigating. I would think you'd want something that doesn't require the handyman or contractor to also have the same software/app, but to be able to receive software-generated emails with info, direction, work order details, etc.
LetA
(Nevada)

04/10/2019 7:03 AM  
The first thing you need to look at is how many people you are managing and how many people in your association. Software and the licensing cost a lot of money. I would just use one of the pre-made excel templates.
RichardP13
(California)

04/10/2019 8:52 AM  
Posted By LetA on 04/10/2019 7:03 AM
The first thing you need to look at is how many people you are managing and how many people in your association. Software and the licensing cost a lot of money. I would just use one of the pre-made excel templates.

What would you consider a "lot of money"?

Been there, Done that
ND
(PA)

04/10/2019 9:09 AM  
Only because I was curious myself, I did a quick Google search. As expected, tons of results. Many look promising, do exactly what you may need, and some pretty cool stuff that you don't know yet if you'll need (data analysis and predictive analytics).

I only looked at a couple, but w/ one of them for $900/year (cost was $75/month) you can have the software. Depending on frequency and volume of use, $900 could be money well spent or too much for your budget. Depends also on the value of one's time doing everything manually . . . receiving requests for work orders, making phone calls, sending emails, spending time straightening things out, etc.

LetA
(Nevada)

04/11/2019 7:14 AM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 04/10/2019 8:52 AM
Posted By LetA on 04/10/2019 7:03 AM

What would you consider a "lot of money"?

What ND said.
GenoS
(Florida)

04/11/2019 12:15 PM  
Comparison of Project Management Software

Many items listed there can be tailored to fit just about anyone's needs. A lot of it is "free" meaning there's no licensing cost. Anything with a "Proprietary" license will cost you, but non-proprietary open source licenses often have no monetary licensing costs.

There are other costs involved, though. There is a whopping amount of support that's needed in terms of setting up a server (or maybe more than one), customizing it for your needs, periodic maintenance and backups. Then you have to show people how to use it. Then you have to document it so that others may be taught how to use it after "you" are gone.

Look at the features:

Scheduling
Issue Tracking
Resource Management
Workflow
Reporting

Some will do budgeting and time tracking.

The software itself is the least of your worries. The time and effort to set it up, manage and maintain the system are far and away the biggest things you'll need to figure out.

If you can do everything you need in something simple, like Excel, go for it. If you've got nothing maybe start there and take good notes about situations you run into where Excel can't do the job. Then if you want to graduate to something else at least you'll have a better idea of what it is you're looking for.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > work order software

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement