Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, October 17, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA responsible for snake control?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ChristyB1
(North Carolina)

04/09/2019 12:54 PM  
Fellow board members in NC, do y'all provide snake control/removal for HOA-owned property?

About 85% of our common areas are fenced stormwater ponds or mowed regularly by our landscapers, but the last 15% is between a row of 10 houses and a tree protection area.

The grass the developer put down in that area is different from the rest of the common areas -- it's a DOT blend like what you see on the sides of highways. We were told to keep it between 9 and 12'' tall, so our landscapers do mow it every now and then, but a homeowner is concerned about snakes biting her dog.

Are we responsible for snake deterrent in that one particular area (about 15,000 sq. ft)? Or is it one of those "keep an eye on your surroundings" type things?

If we are responsible, any suggestions on how? I heard moth balls aren't effective
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/09/2019 1:14 PM  
In our SC HOA we are not responsible for critters nor wildlife.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/09/2019 1:17 PM  
Christy,

Great and interesting question.

I don’t think the HOA is “responsible” for snakes.

It’s always interesting, as well, that the dog owner is concerned about snakes biting dog, but not person? 🙂
BillH10
(Texas)

04/09/2019 5:05 PM  
Are you asking about reptiles, or the two legged variety often found in HOA and Condo Associations, sometimes on the Board, sometimes not?
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

04/09/2019 6:45 PM  
Homeowner: There are snakes over there.
Board member: Dont go over there.
JaredC
(Texas)

04/10/2019 7:14 AM  
Are snakes a problem? Has a snake ever bitten any person or dog? Are snakes infesting the homes? I ask these questions only because I wonder if there is even a problem or merely just a concern.

Personally I don't see why the HOA should even be remotely held responsible for this. It's nature. Furthermore by your own account the HOA seems to be keeping up with landscaping which means less a less hospitable environment for snakes.
TimM11

04/10/2019 8:12 AM  
I don't see the HOA being responsible here unless they are specifically doing something to attract them in the first place. They would be like any other wildlife, e.g. my HOA is not responsible for dealing with the coyotes that come onto the property.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

04/10/2019 8:47 AM  
Posted By TimM11 on 04/10/2019 8:12 AM
I don't see the HOA being responsible here unless they are specifically doing something to attract them in the first place. They would be like any other wildlife, e.g. my HOA is not responsible for dealing with the coyotes that come onto the property.

I agree with this, the association is not responsible for wildlife.

We have a variety of wildlife that we regularly see on our property (raccoons, snakes, possums, armadillos, mice) and even more in the common areas (coyote, bobcats, alligators) and the association does not try to manage them.

From what I've read, it's not a winnable battle in any case. If there is good habitat for a particular animal, and you you remove the existing ones, more will eventually find the habitat and re-populate it.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
BillH10
(Texas)

04/10/2019 12:20 PM  
To be serious, the associations (and political entities) in which we have resided in North Texas over the last 20 years face this issue, not necessarily involving snakes, on a regular basis (read daily) due to the residential development of land which a few years ago was used to raise cotton, graze cattle or whatever. The drought a few years ago made it even worse as we are surrounded by golf courses and wildlife came downstream in search of food and water.

The first coyote and bobcat calls went to the HOA. The boards swiftly realized the HOA is not responsible, nor should it take on the expense or responsibility. One call to Animal Control resulted in the oft heard response:

"They were here before you and we were. The City will not manage wildlife until there is an incident which is potentially life threatening or if a human is threatened--which means stalked. You, as a private citizen, are free to take whatever action you wish so long as it is in keeping with local and state laws which deal with wildlife management. We do recommend removing food sources from patios and do not let children, or small pets, in the yard unaccompanied. Do call us back if observe a threat or experience one."
RoyalP

04/10/2019 1:09 PM  
Bill,

? Would a rope laid on the ground around the 'snake area' be a deterrent ?

Most westerns have the cowboys place a rope on the ground around the sleeping area when 'out on the range'.

This makes as much sense as the OP's original post.

Perhaps the HOA should be responsible for birds of prey and feral cats.

LOL, John B.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA responsible for snake control?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement