Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, June 16, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  Sunshade in common area
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JenA1
(Hawaii)

04/03/2019 3:55 PM  
Aloha from Maui I live in a beautiful community where it’s sunny and beautifully groomed last the heat could Be terrible! i’m a single mom of two children and most of the community is above the age of 50. There are a lot of issues that are going on within our community but most of all our community pool area is basically quiet and destitute most of the year because nobody uses it . There are so many crazy rules that drive families out despite the fact that they have a playground right next to the Pool area. The playground gets so hot that my kids burned their bottoms on the slide so they don’t want to go most of tIme. My dad owns the unit so his concern is only getting shade near the eating areas or laying down areas by the pool but my biggest concern is getting shade over the playground area. . Currently I’ve been trying to get the association on board with adding umbrellas or sunshades but it appears that they have no interest in doing anything about it . You would expect that the older community would be interested in providing shade from the sun but they have no interest whatsoever . in the housing regulations it says nothing about whether we can bring our own umbrellas or shading so one time I asked the board if it was OK to bring my own umbrella and the president said yes the next day I brought my umbrella and there were three property management workers intimidated me to take it down despite me telling them that it was approved . Since I’m getting so much pushback I figured I might as well start a petition and do this the right way .I’m curious if there are any laws that state that there has to be shade to protect the community from harmful rays or if there is anything that can help move this forward so much
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/03/2019 4:09 PM  
Well you can go back to the President/board and tell them what reaction you got from the MC workers. Why? The MC is a HIRED contractor to the HOA. They should be doing what the HOA tells them to do. Not the other way around. Maybe time that relationship is defined better and lines established.

Not sure how much an umbrella or sunshade would really offer. Considering it's not going to cool down a slide at 3 PM if it's been in the sun all day. Plus it's well known that playground equipment doesn't get used in full sun. I live in Alabama, you can forget using playground equipment after 10 am.

A pergola may be a better option than sunshade. It's a bit sturdier and more permanent. Although may get someone idiot or kid to climb on it. It should offer some relief from sun exposure.

Former HOA President
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/03/2019 4:22 PM  
Maybe some more specifics re the umbrella and ownership status ...

How large was the umbrella?
Were you placing it over the equipment in some fashion?
Are you on the deed? (if not your father will need to speak with the Board)
Have you attended Board meetings to bring the topic to their attention? (you will need to be there with your father unless you are on the deed)

To your point about "laws" to require shading ... don't think that would reasonable.
MarkM19
(Texas)

04/03/2019 7:23 PM  
Jen,
Don't bring problems to the board. Bring solutions for them to consider. Sale Shades are fairly cheap and only requires a few poles strategically placed in concrete and it really defuses the Sun.

How many other families have children in the community that would benefit from this shade? Remind the board that structures sitting in the direct Sun age twice as fast as those protected from it. Reserves matter to most board members.

If you really want change help them help you. You need to ask the MC if it can be placed on the agenda 1 week ahead and have a complete package with pricing included. If it is not complete you can expect questions and delays from the board. Be prepared if they have rebuttals.

If you are allowed to speak during the HO forum at the beginning of the meeting have a solid Elevator speech prepared. Short and Sweat and to the point. Make sure your Dad attends since he probably holds title to the property.
LetA
(Nevada)

04/03/2019 11:58 PM  
Is this in an age qualified community? Not much will be done for "families" in an age qualified community.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Sunshade in common area

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement