Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, April 19, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Builder responsible for HOA Fees until percentage of development completed
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PamL4
(Texas)

04/02/2019 8:39 AM  
I just moved into a new development that will have over 300 homes when completed. Currently it has 7 built, with 5 sold. I know I have read where the home owners are not responsible to pay HOA fees until a percentage of the development is completed/sold. Is this written in any laws, or would this be something that is written in the CC&Rs of this community?
AugustinD

04/02/2019 8:45 AM  
If this provision exists, I think it would be in the CC&Rs/Declaration. If you post the CC&Rs/Declaration here, people here may be better able to help you.

Most likely this Texas statute applies: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PR/htm/PR.209.htm . I do not see anything in the statute addressing your concern.

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/02/2019 9:15 AM  
Pam,

Have you read the CCRs and Bylaws? You have copies, right?
DouglasK1
(Florida)

04/02/2019 11:18 AM  
Posted By PamL4 on 04/02/2019 8:39 AM
I just moved into a new development that will have over 300 homes when completed. Currently it has 7 built, with 5 sold. I know I have read where the home owners are not responsible to pay HOA fees until a percentage of the development is completed/sold. Is this written in any laws, or would this be something that is written in the CC&Rs of this community?

I would think that such a provision would be very unusual. I'm not familiar with Texas in particular, but I've never heard of a state that had such a law. Since the developer writes the CCRs, it would also be surprising if they exempted any owners from paying assessments.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
MarkM19
(Texas)

04/02/2019 11:34 AM  
Pam,
The builder has responsibility for unsold lots. Once you buy your property you are responsible. You are now a member of this association. The builder will have complete control of the board for some time till a certain percentage is reached in sales. Check your Documents the exact answers should be in there. Never listen to the Sales team selling the lots. They will say just about anything to move homes.
PamL4
(Texas)

04/02/2019 12:15 PM  
I have read the CCRs and Bylaws, and nothing is mentioned regarding this issue. I was just trying to see if there was a law that states this. It seems ridiculous to me to be paying for amenities that I won't have for at least a year or two. I do realize HOA fees are used for other things too, but the bulk of it is for the amenities that the builder won't start building until phase 3.
PamL4
(Texas)

04/02/2019 12:19 PM  
I agree to never listen to the Sales people, they will say just about anything. Thanks for the information.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

04/02/2019 12:41 PM  
Sometimes the arrangement between the builder and developer is that the builder does not have to pay dues on a lot until the *home* being constructed on it is "substantially completed", not the entire Association. That may be what people have heard and are misconstruing.

MarkM19
(Texas)

04/02/2019 1:11 PM  
PamL,
Another way to check and see is by looking at your closing statement. Depending on how often dues are to be collected either monthly or quarterly. The lender should have charged you in advance for the next dues payment if it is quarterly and the next 2 payments if it is monthly. They can take money that they are not legally instructed to take.

The negatives about be a early buyer. You knew when you bought that the Amenities were not built so that should not have been a surprise. You are right it may take a while for them to be built. Builders usually try and get them going quickly since it helps with sales.

The positives are usually you are buying at the lowest pricing that this development will have. When you see what buyers will be paying in 2 or 3 years even in Texas where property values do not rise like Ca. and other States you should see a noticeable gain in your investment.

I bought in my third new development and have always managed to not be first or last to purchase.

Please let us know what you find so that we can all get a little wiser by being on this blog.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Builder responsible for HOA Fees until percentage of development completed

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement