Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, April 19, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Election of Officers
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TomB23
(Florida)

03/30/2019 7:32 PM  
Our association was to have an election on 2/9/2019.
Our management company made a major error in handling the qualification forms and the election was postponed until 4/20/2019.
Technically the board's term of office is one year and it expired on 2/9/2019.
Is there a formal process to govern this?

Thanks
LetA
(Nevada)

03/30/2019 10:23 PM  
It is impossible to fathom that your HOA don't hold alternating elections. i.e. two board members elected in even years and one board member elected in odd numbered years, this is providing you have three board of directions. if you have more than three, then the same formula applies Odd/even. The moral of the story is, you are always going to have a board member that can make decisions in case a snafu like this arises. Someone is not on the ball or they are just playing kick the can until the issue rectifies itself with the pending election.
TomB23
(Florida)

03/30/2019 11:35 PM  
Thanks for the reply. Crazy as it may seem our board does not hold alternating elections. That is an excellent suggestion. I will bring it up at the next meeting.
Would you say that technically in this case no board exists?
I was hoping that there was some documentation that explains what needs to be done when the term expires and there is no elected board to replace the previous board.
Thanks for your time.
TimB4
(Virginia)

03/31/2019 3:32 AM  
Corporate law would apply.
Corporate law specifies that even though the term expires, the Directors remain until their successor is elected or appointed unless the sitting Director resigns.

I don't have time to look the actual statute up for you.
TomB23
(Florida)

03/31/2019 5:25 AM  
Thanks for the explanation and your time.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

03/31/2019 7:14 AM  
Tom,

While Let’s point is well taken, and I have no broad analysis to support my contention, I believe most HOAs are for single year terms, with annual elections.

I believe the current Board can continue to make common decisions, run the annual meeting, and conduct the election, then new team will take over. Yours is not the first time this has happened.

Follow logical path, don’t get weird, and let everyone know what is happening - your HOA will be fine.
TomB23
(Florida)

03/31/2019 8:08 AM  
Thanks for the advice.
KerryL1
(California)

03/31/2019 8:44 AM  
With others and FL assuming corp. law is followed and they just continue serving, that's what's done.

But your subject line is election of officer, i.e., prez, sec'y, VP, etc. It is very common that officers serve one year.

Your narrative, though, refers to directors--board members-- and usually they serve 2 or even 3 years. What do your bylaws say about term length for officers and term length for directors, Tom?
KerryL1
(California)

03/31/2019 8:44 AM  
With others and FL assuming corp. law is followed and they just continue serving, that's what's done.

But your subject line is election of officer, i.e., prez, sec'y, VP, etc. It is very common that officers serve one year.

Your narrative, though, refers to directors--board members-- and usually they serve 2 or even 3 years. What do your bylaws say about term length for officers and term length for directors, Tom?
DouglasK1
(Florida)

03/31/2019 7:51 PM  
I think it is very common to have have one year terms. Your governing docs should define how long directors serve for, you can't change it arbitrarily.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/01/2019 7:55 AM  
In our member BOD terms are two year long and staggered. Two rotate off one year, three rotate off the next year. Works quite well as we always have at least two with corporate memory.

One year terms are to short. Hardly enough time to learn how things works.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Election of Officers

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement