Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, March 23, 2019

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: March Madness betting in GA
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LanceG1
(Georgia)

03/14/2019 5:34 PM  
I'm on the board and just found out our social committee is doing a march madness betting bracket with one of our board members running the pot. From what I can find it looks like this is technically illegal in Georgia, though there is some debate about if it would be enforced or not.

My gut feeling is that we should steer clear of this. Anybody else have any advice?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

03/14/2019 7:22 PM  
Can you clarify if they are using the social committee money to do so? Or is it just happens to be the people on the committee amongst themselves doing it? For instance, I've worked at places they have football squares. No one is using the company money, they just happen to work at the company.

Former HOA President
LanceG1
(Georgia)

03/14/2019 8:47 PM  
It's an official event presented by the HOA social committee.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

03/15/2019 4:00 AM  
I would steer clear of it and so should the HOA. The fallout if there was any, would fall on ALL the owners participating or not. The HOA is ALL the members. Funding the committee comes from the HOA funds...

Ask them to NOT use HOA funds when doing brackets. It's okay if they want to do it on their own and with their own money. Just don't drag everyone else in to it.

Former HOA President
LanceG1
(Georgia)

03/15/2019 8:32 AM  
That is my take as well. For me the problematic thing is when flyers are handed out to all homes that say.

"The Social Committee at invites you to participate in our first ever March Madness Bracket Tourney. If interested emails us at @gmail.com. Payment of $5 per bracket can be sent to via xxxxx".

I read it as we (the HOA) are sponsoring an illegal activity.

My suggestion was to remove the monetary aspect to comply with state laws.

If they were doing this on their own, not as part of the social committee I would have no issue with this. But, when it's part of the HOA my take is that we need to be more judicious to ensure that we are not violating laws etc. because we are putting all homeowners potentially on the hook for this.

Lance

KerryL1
(California)

03/15/2019 8:42 AM  
Our Social Committee holds an annual Super Bowl indoor "Tail Gate" potluck. Even non-fans love it. there's a pool that they can bet on, $25 per square.

But yours. Lance, just seems to be folks betting on brackets voluntarily. In what sense is the Soc. Comm. spending HOA $? What GA law does this seem to be breaking?

I'd let them have their fun. Having lived in NC, I know what huge deal this tourney is.
KerryL1
(California)

03/15/2019 8:43 AM  
Our Social Committee holds an annual Super Bowl indoor "Tail Gate" potluck. Even non-fans love it. there's a pool that they can bet on, $25 per square.

But yours. Lance, just seems to be folks betting on brackets voluntarily. In what sense is the Soc. Comm. spending HOA $? What GA law does this seem to be breaking?

I'd let them have their fun. Having lived in NC, I know what huge deal this tourney is.
LanceG1
(Georgia)

03/15/2019 9:02 AM  
In Georgia this is considered commercial gambling....and the penalties can be pretty stiff if enforced.

I get that a lot of people like to do this, but, my point is that as an official HOA thing, which a social committee activity is, we need to steer clear of things that go against state and federal law to protect the association.

Think about it this way. Let's say you live in a state that has not legalized Marijuana, but a large percentage of the residents likes to smoke it or grow it. If residents wanted to get together to roll joints, share gardening techniques etc. that would be one thing. I'd turn a blind eye because honestly I don't care. But if someone wants to do this as part of an HOA social committee I would have an issue with it because what happens if the police catch wind and decide to go after it? Now the entire board etc. is implicated.

Lance

KerryL1
(California)

03/15/2019 1:12 PM  
In what sense is this considered "commercial gambling?" Please tell us the GA definition, Lance. I wonder if the word "commercial" suggests that someone's making a "profit."

For some reason, I have the hunch that something else is troubling you too, Lance.
GenoS
(Florida)

03/15/2019 3:39 PM  
Posted By LanceG1 on 03/14/2019 5:34 PM
I'm on the board and just found out our social committee is doing a march madness betting bracket with one of our board members running the pot. From what I can find it looks like this is technically illegal in Georgia, though there is some debate about if it would be enforced or not.

My gut feeling is that we should steer clear of this. Anybody else have any advice?

It should be clear that the bracket is NOT sanctioned by the association or the board. It doesn't really matter that a board member is running it as long as no association funds are being spent. That would be his personal liability for illegal betting (if it is indeed illegal). Just because thousands of pools and brackets are done every year by all kinds of people doesn't mean it's OK. I'd make sure the board steer clear of any involvement if money is being wagered.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

03/15/2019 5:51 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 03/15/2019 3:39 PM
Posted By LanceG1 on 03/14/2019 5:34 PM

It should be clear that the bracket is NOT sanctioned by the association or the board. It doesn't really matter that a board member is running it as long as no association funds are being spent. That would be his personal liability for illegal betting (if it is indeed illegal). Just because thousands of pools and brackets are done every year by all kinds of people doesn't mean it's OK. I'd make sure the board steer clear of any involvement if money is being wagered.

I agree.
LanceG1
(Georgia)

03/15/2019 6:23 PM  
Below are two summaries of the laws.

https://www.pbpatl.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Raffles-2013.pdf

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Georgia/

If this was legal I would not have an issue with it, but, like I said GA has pretty strict laws against this. If homeowners wanted to do this on their own, not as part of an HOA thing, even if it was a board member this would be their issue and I would not be posting this question. I have no desire to police neighbors and if anything tend to favor a lighter touch to enforcement of rules etc..

My issue with this our board member is stating that it is a official social committee event. They are also communicating via the HOA channels about it. AKA, in their flyer that they put in every houses mailbox, beyond what I have already said also direct people to send questions about the pool to the official hoa social committee e-mail address. From a liability standpoint because they are doing this as a official HOA event, if something happens I'm worried it could come back on the board and/or HOA.

And yes, there are lots of issues that we have beyond this....look at my past questions if you want to get a flavor of what I'm dealing with on this board as one of 5.

LanceG1
(Georgia)

03/15/2019 6:26 PM  
That last response was for KerryL1. GenoS and JohnC46.....that is my read as well.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

03/18/2019 5:59 PM  
Hypothetically you could probably find a letter online telling someone to shut it down immediately. Put it on Georgia Commercial Gambling Unit letterhead and scare the crap out of them citing criminal penalties, prison, etc.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

03/18/2019 7:19 PM  
Assuming the Registered Agent for the Corporation has received a 'letter of demand' to cease and desist from Corporate sponsorship of an illegal activity:

the term mal-feasance would prima facie apply to the directors' actions, said directors then being personally liable for their actions w/o coverage from any D&O insurance in place

theoretically

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > March Madness betting in GA

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement