Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, May 19, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: That ONE Owner who just can’t deal with a violation notice.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NicoleO5
(California)

03/01/2019 11:09 AM  
Hi all! Your response to my last post was SO appreciated!!!

I have lived in my condo near to 20 years! More often then not those years were on our Board in various positions. I wish I kept
a journal! It’s been a real ride! For the first time in all the years I have volunteered we have a real working board without individual agendas! It’s bliss ( mostly)

The reason I am posting this. We have an owner who like many of us including myself have gotten violation notices. Most of us just respond by correcting the issue and move on! 99.9% of the time this is what has happened. We have one owner who historically has received more notices than others for silly easy to fix violations. Every time... he gets a notice he brings his notice to open forum, and often brings picture or proof of others also breaking the rules. It’s consistent. Well, he got another notice which was a near miss big issue. Thier response was to bring in a single photo of a board members violation ( that really wasn’t a violation as it was corrected but allowed a photo op). He presents this during open forum ... consistently and predict ably after each violation notice. He and his unit have had challenges following the rules.. without specifics two more issue have been brought to our attention this month. One is a huge issue.

On preparation for our next meeting Id like to handle this scenario different when he agains will dispute his notices and publically. Seriosuly he isn’t the only one, but he is the most frequent! Showing photos and asking who else is getting notices are not conducive to our volunteer time. How and would one tactfully handle his attempt to push attention elsewhere??
LanceG1
(Georgia)

03/01/2019 12:12 PM  
violation notices are impersonal and tend to tick off a lot of people. Often management companies word the first ones overly aggressive IMHO causing anger to a lot of people instead of trying a lighter touch with the goal of solving things to everybody's satisfaction. I don't have the specifics of what this person is violating, and you are in a condo vs single family houses which are what my HOA is, but in general it sounds like they are asking valid questions.

First, is the board being overly picky with certain things causing a lot of people to get a lot of notices? Second, providing that is not the case, what about setting up a private meeting with the homeowner to address any potential issues before the meeting and smooth over some of their ruffled feathers ahead of time? IMHO, allowing an open forum is a good thing even if what some people say is not you your liking as a board member.

RichardP13
(California)

03/01/2019 12:14 PM  
Appoint them to the Architectural Committee and Violation Committee, both as chairperson.

Been there, Done that
LanceG1
(Georgia)

03/01/2019 12:18 PM  
I like that idea........ make them part of the solution....
TimM11

03/01/2019 1:26 PM  
I'd be doing the same thing if I thought the rules were selectively enforced -- are they?

If board members themselves are having trouble following all of the rules, then maybe these rules should be evaluated to see how necessary they are.
NicoleO5
(California)

03/01/2019 5:49 PM  
Out of the 10++ years this man has lived here he had openly DECLINED any and ll invitations to serve on the board or on a committee.. I have tried this approach.

We are not overly picky with rule enforcement. Lets just say he is unlucky with getting caught breaking rules, and then trying to deny it. From my simple recollection, he has had near 10 violating letters over the years. Including getting caught dumping furniture ( on cctv) dumping trash from his balcony also witnessed, and a slew of other stupid violations.

TimB4
(Virginia)

03/02/2019 4:03 AM  
The response to such things is simple:

"Thank you for bringing those violations to the attention of the Board. We will have the [name of investigating body/person] check into those issues. Now lets discuss your alleged violation."

KerryL1
(California)

03/02/2019 5:31 PM  
Is this man being called to hearings for his alleged violations following due process in CA, Nicole? If so, I don't think h e gets to discuss it in the open board meeting, right?

I can look it up tomorrow.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > That ONE Owner who just can’t deal with a violation notice.

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement