Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, May 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Board meetings in California
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JoyceN1
(California)

02/27/2019 11:03 PM  
Our manager attends meetings and whenever the President us under the weather the manager conducts the meeting instead of the VP.As far as I have been able to ascertain this isn't legal. Managers shouldn't be at the meetings according to my research. Anyone know the answer?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/28/2019 3:48 AM  
Maybe the VP doesn't want to do the job? Is someone going to go to jail over it? Just sounds like maybe the VP isn't comfortable with doing the meeting. Everything else procedural is being followed right?

Former HOA President
GenoS
(Florida)

02/28/2019 3:48 AM  
Posted By JoyceN1 on 02/27/2019 11:03 PM
Our manager attends meetings and whenever the President us under the weather the manager conducts the meeting instead of the VP.As far as I have been able to ascertain this isn't legal. Managers shouldn't be at the meetings according to my research. Anyone know the answer?

Posters from CA will reply, I'm sure. I predict their responses will be:

1. There's nothing inherently illegal about your PM chairing the meetings. It is up to your board who will run the meetings in the absence of the president.

2. Your research is faulty since many managers attend board meetings on a regular basis. You can definitely have meetings without the PM president, but his or her attendance is up to the board.
GenoS
(Florida)

02/28/2019 3:49 AM  
"PM present" (not president)
RichardP13
(California)

02/28/2019 7:00 AM  
Posted By JoyceN1 on 02/27/2019 11:03 PM

Can you cite what you have researched that says this is not legal.

Thanks

Been there, Done that
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

02/28/2019 7:20 AM  
Joyce,

You fell into the usual property owner trap of saying things that might not be accurate, but that are based on what you think is true.

Do your research, then come back and let us know what the facts are.
KerryL1
(California)

02/28/2019 10:00 AM  
Everyone else is correct, Joyce. Property Managers typically attend HOA board meetings. In our HOA and I'm sure many others, the PM takes the meeting notes and that's in our contract with the Management Company, which also specifies the PM may attend up to two meetings a month, Mon-Th. after her work hours, i.e., after 5pm. In an exhibit or something in the back of the contract, we must pay her extra if the meetings last past 8pm. But the MC has never shared us when that sometimes happens.

Read your HOA's contract.

Even if your bylaws state the president must chair the meetings, and that the VP fills in when the prez is absent, if no other director is comfortable in the chair, it's OK that the PM do the job.

What is your concern about this, Joyce?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Board meetings in California

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement