Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Bad management company
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
YvetteC
(Texas)

09/25/2005 4:45 PM  
I'm very new to the hoa matters in my subdivision. I live in Texas and my subdivision has about 300 homes. The president has tried on his own unfortunately to make decisions in the best interest for the rest of the community. His lack of communication skills seems to be his not being able to speak English fluently. People in the meeting were livid that they had not been talked with only the Spanish speaking homeowners.
I believe that he has no prior hoa experience and has been asking for help and advice from the representative from the management company.

We are about $90,000 in the hole from purchasing land to build a pool, with no reserve. The developer did not want to cut a deal on the 2 lots purchased. Our community ended up paying $45,000 per lot when it was only worth $16,000. From my point of view the rep. from the management company has been giving a lot of bad advice to the president and then washing his hands of all the issues that are brought up at the meetings.
I've tried to communicate with another hoa that had recently stopped using this same management company but they have not responded.

I know this is pretty lengthy but does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be done. The contract for this management company is up in 6 years.
LisaS
(Illinois)

09/28/2005 6:55 PM  
A lot of damage can be caused in 6 years, so getting involved and educated now is a very good idea. Your property value and equity are at stake.

I am assuming that your association voted to buy the land- I am not familiar with Texas law, but I find it hard to believe that your President had the authority to spend $90k without a vote. If he did this in violation of your Declaration etc. there would be recourse on the part of the association (especially if you have insurance)

The best way to get a handle on what is going on is to attend the meetings and ask questions. There must be more than one Board members (?) and at least one other I would assume speaks fluent English (?). If the management company is doing anything that can be construed as mismanagement or giving bad advice (they should not be giving legal advice as they are probably not attorneys!), there is probably a clause in the contract with them that allows you to seek new management. Just another option.

Good luck
Lisa
YvetteC
(Texas)

10/01/2005 2:48 PM  
Thank you for the response Lisa. I am trying to get involved now. I didn't know it was this out of control. It seems that many homeowners in our community are oblivious to all the matters at hand. With about 300 homes, there are only about 6 people attending the hoa meetings.
Thanks again.

Yvette
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Bad management company

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement