Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Agenda
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NabilH
(California)

01/29/2019 10:35 PM  
Our HOA provides a one page agenda. Board members receive many reports that are never shared online or at meeting. Owners cannot contribute to meeting discussions without these reports. Manager says the attachments are too numerous to lost or copy fit meetings.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/30/2019 4:27 AM  
It is a board meeting right? So not sure why the general membership needs this information. Our set up is that the board handles the HOA's business. The general membership can attend the meetings to listen/contribute. However, they don't make the actual decisions. So not everything would appear on the agenda for various reasons. Don't think they are hiding anything. It's just how things work sometimes.

Former HOA President
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/30/2019 6:30 AM  
Melissa,

Many States have statutes that specify a copy of all materials available to directors at a meeting must also be available to members in attendance at the board meeting. Our Association provides a copy to anyone attending. Others have one copy that can be passed around.

Nabil,

You need to check the applicable State statutes to see if this applies to your association or not.

Additionally, you should not expect to participate in any discussion that does not directly relate to your property. Typically, members may attend to observe only. Our board will invite anyone attending to join the discussion. Other boards I know of that have a large number of members attending do not invite them to join in.

BarbaraT1
(Texas)

01/30/2019 6:50 AM  
Owners are there to listen and observe, not contribute. The Board makes the decisions. If there's something a specific owner wants to see, they can request it via whatever method of records requesting your state requires.

That said, I typically favor as much transparency as possible. If a homeowner asked to see a report that did not include confidential information (such as delinquencies or violations) I'd hand them a copy. I wouldn't bring the meeting to a standstill so they could read it though.

SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/30/2019 7:08 AM  
I agree with what's been said so far. When I was on the board, I remember that even without the delinquency information, our financial reports were close to 200 pages. That's a lot to photocopy for a meeting when you don't even know how many people will attend - if no one does, that's a waste of paper and printing expenses.

Keep attending the meetings, but you may want to jot down questions you can ask during the resident forum or send to the board afterwards for follow up. Remember, you won't get information on sensitive legal matters like delinquencies due to privacy, but a good place to start regarding documentation is by reviewing the monthly income/expense statements that shouldn't be very long. If your association has a website, the board could also create a members only section where some of those documents can be posted.

If you don't have a resident forum, you can suggest this be added to the agenda. It's a brief period where residents can make general comments or suggestions regarding association business. To keep it from being a free for all, ours were about 15-20 minutes tops, depending on how many people were there and each speaker would be limited to 2-3 minutes so they'd get to the point and everyone would have a chance to speak.
MarkM19
(Texas)

01/30/2019 7:44 AM  
When I was on my board in Ca. we had a large Screen Tv that we sat in front of and we displayed the items we were discussing. Printing documents would be useless since as someone already said it can take hours to go through a board packet. The Executive stuff would have to be removed and it would just be crazy to pay the PM to print copies for HOs who may or may not show up. Most management companies charge $.20 per page for printing think about how fast that can add up and money wasted. Also shredding the documents once they are not needed would be another cost to the association. Also bid materials are confidential and should not be shared. The board has the fiduciary right and duty to protect this information.

Boards are elected to act on the owners behave. If you don't trust them vote them out or run for office.
MarkM19
(Texas)

01/30/2019 7:44 AM  
When I was on my board in Ca. we had a large Screen Tv that we sat in front of and we displayed the items we were discussing. Printing documents would be useless since as someone already said it can take hours to go through a board packet. The Executive stuff would have to be removed and it would just be crazy to pay the PM to print copies for HOs who may or may not show up. Most management companies charge $.20 per page for printing think about how fast that can add up and money wasted. Also shredding the documents once they are not needed would be another cost to the association. Also bid materials are confidential and should not be shared. The board has the fiduciary right and duty to protect this information.

Boards are elected to act on the owners behave. If you don't trust them vote them out or run for office.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement