Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: California condo, cable service
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NathanP1
(California)

01/29/2019 7:23 PM  
State: California
Condominium under an HOA association.

Hello,

My wife & I recently purchased a condo and ran into an issue with our cable service.

Once we gained possession of the condo, we contacted our local cable provider to arrange for high-speed internet service.

The technician confirmed the interior unit was wired for cable service; but could not locate the line coming into the unit.

We are the top unit, with a unit below ours; we learned the previous owner had a satellite dish service for TV and DSL for internet.

Contacting the cable company, a supervisor with an experienced line technician were sent out. Unfortunately, they were unable to locate the incoming line at the main junction box, and confirmed the building is wired for cable, as they indentified other units with active cable service at the main junction box.

The HOA provided documents states the building is wired for phone & cable service as an amenity to the owners.

My question is who is responsible for the incoming cable service line?

I have contacted the property management company, but they are unresponsive.

What are my options?

FredS7
(Arizona)

01/29/2019 7:47 PM  
My guess would be- since the cable lines are located in common area (walls)- maintaining them would be an HOA responsibility.

You could request the HOA to repair the cable between the junction box and your unit.

When you say "unresponsive"- do you mean they don't answer or they haven't fixed it yet?
NathanP1
(California)

01/29/2019 7:53 PM  

Well, I have attempted contact the property management company but they do not answer to calls or emails.

I learned from the cable technicians that the solution is to drill into the unit below to establish a new line which would require approval from the HOA.

LetA
(Nevada)

01/30/2019 5:39 AM  
Have you reached out to any of the board of directors? is this a low-rise mid-rise or high-rise building? where are the other unit's coax installed? are they interior or exterior. Cable systems usually have in intricate details cable mapping system as to where service lines are installed.

Send a certified letter to the property manager giving them 10 days to respond.

Is the "Tap" attached to an exterior wall or is the Tap in a vault underground? If the "Tap" is affixed to an exterior wall of the condo building, the cable service usually has an already in place easement to attach a new coax for a line of service without needing the HOA or a BOD approval.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > California condo, cable service

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement