Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, May 23, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA who allow backyard fences in Alabama
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ConnieW2
(Idaho)

01/25/2019 1:25 PM  
Right now I'mm living in Idaho. I plan on moving to the Mobile Alabama area and have a new home built by a developer. Most likely in a subdivision. My problem is this: I called this builder and they gave me the name of the Homeowner Associations and their phone number. So, I called them, and no they do not allow backyard fences to be built.

So, now, what I'd like to find out is where in Alabama could I find a Homeowners Association that allows backyard fences to be built on a new home.

I have a small dog and I want to be able to let him out in the back yard to do his business without me needing to put him on a lead.

How can I find out who allows fences to be built in Alabama????
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

01/25/2019 2:58 PM  
use a far sound device and contact realtors

a/k/a

telephone
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/25/2019 3:35 PM  
Well if your interested in a HOA, make sure to get a copy of the CC&R's first BEFORE buying. They should be on file at the county's courthouse. They are public documents. Now if your looking to be part of a "new" development, then the developer/builder may be still in charge.

Each HOA is different and not just a "state" thing. Our HOA we did NOT build fences. We just gave you permissions/restrictions on when you build yours. Plus we tell you to fix it if it falls down.

Now question is why won't they allow back fences? We never allowed fences in the front. Back fences were already existed because they worked like property boundaries on our common property.

More important is to find out how the land is set up. For us, ALL property outside the lot was considered "Common area". The house sat on the Lot. So everything outside the house was basically controlled by the HOA as it owned that property. Now other HOA's you may own the land but restricted use may apply. Which if they are not allowing fences to be built may indicate it's a common area situation.

Former HOA President
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/25/2019 3:44 PM  
Fences/walls seem to fall into 3 general categories in an HOA:

1. Not allowed.
2. Allowed but location and type controlled by the HOA.
3. One style built by the builder and must be the same when repaired/replaced.

I have lived under all 3 in different HOA's. Presently #3 above.

I have never seen an HOA that allowed anything but backyard fences meaning no fencing forward of the back edge of your house but yet have seen walls allowed all around the property, especially out West.
KerryL1
(California)

01/25/2019 4:22 PM  
If you'll see the rules above, Connie, note that no one can give you HOA names & contact info.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

01/25/2019 7:39 PM  
Hi Connie,

Just look for other quality homes and then ask about the HOA and any fencing issues once you have a list. You'll frustrate yourself by considering shopping for homes by focusing on the HOA first. Better yet, get a "buyer's agent" to help you.
GenoS
(Florida)

01/26/2019 2:08 PM  
Posted By ConnieW2 on 01/25/2019 1:25 PM
How can I find out who allows fences to be built in Alabama????

Hi, Connie. The information you're seeking is probably not readily available in a cerntral location. If you were in Florida it would be relatively "easy" to go online and find recorded covenants for different HOAs, but that's on a county-by-county basis you'd have to look since each county has its own online official records system. I have no idea if Alabama has similar online access to county official records. I wouldn't bet on it but you'll have to check for yourself unless someone here can give you a better answer.

Either way it's going to be on you to conduct a detailed search and evaluation.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA who allow backyard fences in Alabama

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement