Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, May 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Weighted votes
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PatriciaL1
(California)

01/23/2019 12:40 PM  
In the rewriting of our CC&Rs this section of the old CC&Rs was brought up.

4.2 VOTING RIGHTS. There is one vote per Unit, and, except with regard to the election of Directors, such vote shall be weighted accordingly to the Unit’s Percentage Interest. With regard to the election of Directors only, each Unit’s vote shall be weighted equally. Fractional votes by Co-Owners are not allowed. If Co-Owners are unable to agree how to cast the vote for a Unit on a matter, they shall lose their vote on that matter. If a single vote is cast on Owners of a Unit, the vote shall be conclusively presumed to have been cast on behalf of all Owners of a Unit unless written notice contesting the right to vote is actually received by the Secretary before the vote is cast. If multiple votes are cast on behalf of a Unit, all shall be disregarded.

My read tells me that this weighted voting would only count towards something like the ratification of these new CC&Rs. The new CC&Rs give one vote to one Unit.

Does anyone here have any experience with weighted votes?

Thank you, Patti
We are 51 Units total. 15 have 1.6% interest each, 15 have 1.8% interest each and the remaining 21 have 2.4% interest each.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/23/2019 12:45 PM  
I have see weighted votes based on things like size of unit. I have also seen weighted dues based on size of a unit.

If wanting to change to one vote per unit, you must still use the weighted votes to make the change as that is the way it is until the change is approved.
KerryL1
(California)

01/23/2019 1:07 PM  
From what you've cited, I agree with JohnC that weighted voting must occur to amend that and any other aspects of your CC&Rs.

Often voting rights are spelled out in the bylaws,btw.
PatriciaL1
(California)

01/23/2019 1:32 PM  
Sure, I agree, the updates to the CC&Rs must be done by weighted votes since that is the how the current CC&Rs are written.

The weight is given by size of unit. (In addition, dues are calculated by size of units.)

I was wondering about the general benefits/problems with weighted votes.

At a minimum, I imagine it is more difficult to calculate and to make sure the correct weight is given to each home.

Weighing votes could be seen as discriminatory - although I am told an HOA is not a democracy, it is a corporation and so therefore does not have to be democratic.

Thanks again, Patti
JeffT2
(Iowa)

01/23/2019 1:36 PM  
Weighted votes are very common in condominiums.

Your new CCRs are reducing the voting power of some owners, which is a very big change.

Has a lawyer who is knowledgeable of the law (and court cases) reviewed these changes in the new CCRs?

Very often, this type of change also has to be approved by mortgage lenders.
KerryL1
(California)

01/23/2019 1:45 PM  
My urban 'hood is loaded with condo high rise HOAs and none use weighted votes--maybe they're common in Iowa, Jeff.
PatriciaL1
(California)

01/23/2019 1:49 PM  
Our CC&Rs are being drafted by an HOA attorney. He said it was extremely rare to have weighted votes where we live, that he had not heard of any others.

I noticed the weighted voting does NOT apply to voting for the Board of Directors, which is the only thing we ever vote on (until this cc&r rewrite).

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/23/2019 4:39 PM  
Patricia,

Have you researched the CCRs of other neighborhoods or HOAs? These should be available online. Do a search in order to double check what your attorney is saying.

It may be unwise to simply accept what an attorney says.
JeffT2
(Iowa)

01/23/2019 6:46 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 01/23/2019 1:45 PM
My urban 'hood is loaded with condo high rise HOAs and none use weighted votes--maybe they're common in Iowa, Jeff.

It's not entirely untrue that:

All condominiums everywhere have weighted voting

...keeping in mind that weights are often equal.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement