Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, May 23, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Rule changes
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JillS8
(California)

01/20/2019 7:26 AM  
We have a question about challenging a rule change. CC&Rs state the following.

"a rule change may be reversed by the affirmative vote of a majority of a quorum of the members, pursuant to Section 4070, or if the declaration or bylaws require a greater percentage, by the affirmative vote of the percentage required."

So if we have 50 owners, how many is that? Is it the majority of all 50 owners (more than 25) or a majority of what we would need for quorum (more than 13)?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/20/2019 9:13 AM  
Posted By JillS8 on 01/20/2019 7:26 AM
We have a question about challenging a rule change. CC&Rs state the following.

"a rule change may be reversed by the affirmative vote of a majority of a quorum of the members, pursuant to Section 4070, or if the declaration or bylaws require a greater percentage, by the affirmative vote of the percentage required."

So if we have 50 owners, how many is that? Is it the majority of all 50 owners (more than 25) or a majority of what we would need for quorum (more than 13)?

Jill

It would depend on what your docs define as a Quorum. Ours is 20%. Let us assume you have 50 members and that your docs say a quorum is a majority of the owners then you would need 26 members for a quorum. Let us assume you get only 26 which is enough to make quorum thus a majority of those 26 would be 14. Let us assume you get 32 which is more then enough to make quorum thus a majority of those 32 would be 17.

Same if your quorum is defined as a % such as 30%. Then 15 make a quorum and the majority of 15 is 8.

Back to you. What do your docs say is a quorum?
SueW6
(Michigan)

01/20/2019 9:20 AM  
“Rules” are usually passed by the board i. e. pool hours, garbage can placement, etc.

Is this a Board vote? (These “members” you are talking about? )
KerryL1
(California)

01/20/2019 9:34 AM  
In CA, members (owners) make reverse a board-approved rule change along the lines that Jill describes per CA Civil Code 4070 and her HOA's CC&Rs ("declaration"). I don't have time to look up Civil 4070 right now.

As John says, she needs to find out what her docs define as a quorum of owners.

What was the rule change your board approved, Jill.
AugustinD

01/20/2019 10:32 AM  
JillS8, I read it as the majority of what your HOA needs for a quorum of a properly noticed members' meeting.

By any chance is the requirement at your HOA for a quorum, '25% of all members either present in person or voting by proxy'? If so, and assuming neither the Declaration nor Bylaws require a greater percentage, then at least 13 members present in person or voting by proxy is a quorum. Then per JillS8's wording, and depending on the number actually present, as few as seven members voting in favor of reversing the rule will be able to reverse it.

The wording is pretty common, even at the City Council level. E.g. as long as a quorum is present, then a majority vote //of the quorum// wins the vote.
JillS8
(California)

01/20/2019 11:10 AM  
The rule is still in the process but the board is sure to repass. The rule is no street parking for 3 hours a night. There has been a rule on the books for 15 years but never enforced and never really legal since there is no signage. I can not find in my CCRS what would constitute a quorum so I looked to the Civil Code and that is what I provided in the original post regrading quorum.
We have no parking issues. Reason given by the board are " I dont want cars parked in front of my house" and It's a safety isssue. This has been a back and forth issue for almost 15 years. I know this sounds like a joke but it's true.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/20/2019 3:48 PM  
Jill,

I'm probably repeating others' comments.

Quorum specifics are usually in Bylaws, not CCRs ... some states probably different. Need to understand both docs.

It sounds, if your bylaws read like most, that it will be pretty straightforward to obtain a quorum - and, then vote to change the rules per CA.

However, I'm thinking about why the Board is now enforcing parking rules ... perhaps there is an increase is overnight parking, larger families, more renters etc? "We have no parking issues," may not be a widely held view ...
RichardP13
(California)

01/21/2019 10:05 AM  
Quorum would be what is required in your Bylaws for a Annual Meeting. Let's say for argument's sake it is a majority and membership is 100. Then 51 would satisfy quorum and you would need a majority of quorum to reverse a rule and that being 26.

Must be done by secret ballot.

Been there, Done that
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/21/2019 1:14 PM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 01/21/2019 10:05 AM
Quorum would be what is required in your Bylaws for a Annual Meeting. Let's say for argument's sake it is a majority and membership is 100. Then 51 would satisfy quorum and you would need a majority of quorum to reverse a rule and that being 26.

Must be done by secret ballot.

Are you saying if a Quorum is not established in the Bylaws then it becomes 51% of the membership?
RichardP13
(California)

01/21/2019 2:38 PM  
Depends if quorum is required. For arguments sake, it is required in Jill's instance. Before ballots are opened, quorum must be obtained.

There are some association where quorum is not required. Then the rules better have a qualifier like a percentage of the membership.

Been there, Done that
SueW6
(Michigan)

01/21/2019 2:39 PM  
If its not stated in the bylaws or CCRs (% needed to conduct business) go to your state condo law or non orofit corporation laws.

It is NOT a majority figure; usually much less.
SueW6
(Michigan)

01/21/2019 2:39 PM  
If its not stated in the bylaws or CCRs (% needed to conduct business) go to your state condo law or non orofit corporation laws.

It is NOT a majority figure; usually much less.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/21/2019 3:47 PM  
Ours was a Quorum of 50% to be able to conduct business at our Annual Meeting but we changed it to 20%. It required 51% of all owners to approve the change.

Some got confused thinking we were changing to 20% to approve Covenant/Bylaw changes. We had to explain over..and over...and over it was for the Annual Meeting Quorum only.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/21/2019 3:47 PM  
Ours was a Quorum of 50% to be able to conduct business at our Annual Meeting but we changed it to 20%. It required 51% of all owners to approve the change.

Some got confused thinking we were changing to 20% to approve Covenant/Bylaw changes. We had to explain over..and over...and over it was for the Annual Meeting Quorum only.
RichardP13
(California)

01/21/2019 3:53 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 01/21/2019 3:47 PM

So how does that work?

Been there, Done that
JillS8
(California)

01/21/2019 4:11 PM  
So I'm confused. We just had annual meeting and only 10 out of 50 ballots returned. We went on with the meeting anyways as we have done for several years because nobody shows up or cares.
Looking further into our docs. It does say the following

"Any action of the Association which must have the approval of the Members before being undertaken shall require the vote or written assent of a bare majority of the total voting power of the Association as well as the vote or written assent of the prescribed majority majority of the total voting power of Members other than the Declarant. "

So I assume it's 50 percent plus 1 to pass. Am I reading that correctly?
KerryL1
(California)

01/21/2019 4:16 PM  
What did owners vote for on this ballot? Was it to overturn the rule? Or something else? I'm the one who's confused.

Based on your most recent quote, yes, it seems there needs to be only a simple majority for a topic that's appropriate for the membership to vote on.
JillS8
(California)

01/21/2019 8:23 PM  
It was our annual meeting and election. Not enough ballots returned so we stayed as the board until next January
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/22/2019 8:27 AM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 01/21/2019 3:53 PM
Posted By JohnC46 on 01/21/2019 3:47 PM

So how does that work?

With attendees and Proxies we usually get about 30 to 35 of 112 owners. We never got 50%.
SueW6
(Michigan)

01/22/2019 1:22 PM  
Some HOAs can elect the board with proxies and live attendees, even without a quorum in attendance. Election only- no other board business.

Check your state statues or bylaws.

KerryL1
(California)

01/22/2019 5:50 PM  

Calif. corporations code for nonprofit mutual benefit corporations (most CA HOAs) 7510

"(d) The votes represented, either in person (or, if proxies are allowed, by proxy), at a meeting called or by written ballot ordered pursuant to subdivision (c), and entitled to be cast on the business to be transacted shall constitute a quorum, notwithstanding any provision of the articles or bylaws or in this part to the contrary. The court may issue such orders as may be appropriate including, without limitation, orders designating the time and place of the meeting, the record date for determination of members entitled to vote, and the form of notice of the meeting."

Now I can't FIND it again, but I must be reading it wrong. Is it incomplete? It seems to say that there is no quorum requirement despite HOA docs????

I really didn't think there was anything in CA Corps. Code, but followed Sue's advice and took a look. Maybe someone else can find more of it and interpret.
RichardP13
(California)

01/22/2019 7:09 PM  
California Civil Code now applies not Corporation Code because of the 2006 rules on secret balloting.

Been there, Done that
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement