Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, May 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: monthly meeting
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
KateS2
(Connecticut)

01/14/2019 9:19 AM  
I have nothing on the agenda for a meeting. Nothing to report or have been reported. I made the announcement in our November meeting that the meeting for December was cancelled and if anything arose that needed to be addressed to the membership a meeting will be scheduled. Is this sufficient or is this in violation of our by laws. The Board of Directors agreed and noted in the minutes.
BillH10
(Texas)

01/14/2019 10:17 AM  
Kate, what do your Bylaws say about the frequency of meetings? Often there is wording which anticipates there is no active business to discuss on a short interval meeting schedule. The wording may be something like "The Board of Directors shall meet monthly or as may be determined by the Board.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/14/2019 10:20 AM  
I don't see anything particularly wrong with this IF you'd also announced this to the membership shortly after the November meeting. Otherwise the homeowners wouldn't know - although the cancellation would be noted in the November minutes, minutes aren't approved until the next meeting, which would be January.

Next time, double-check your bylaws - if they don't address this, you might want to make a decision about the December meeting a little earlier. When I was on the board, we noticed that we had virtually no business in December, so in January, we always listed the dates and times of all our meetings, noting that we wouldn't have a December meeting in light of the holiday unless there was time-sensitive association minutes. In that case, the meeting would be held on the usual date and time of the month in the clubhouse.

Nobody complained and to be honest, it gave us extra incentive to get things done in a timely manner - generally August-November was budget preparation time anyway because our bylaws require that the upcoming year's budget be sent to homeowners on or before December 1.

KerryL1
(California)

01/14/2019 10:36 AM  
With others, check your bylaws. Ours, for instance, say we must have 4 board meetings a year. But that's not enough so we have 11 and don't meet in December. The Board votes on the board meeting schedule at its organization meeting following the annual election.

We have a monthly newsletter, so the absence of a Dec. board meeting is in it with the date of the Jan. meeting.

But I'm a little puzzled by your language, Kate. If you mean board meetings (you didn't specify) it's not their purpose to make announcements to the membership though such announcements are common at our HOA's board meetings. The purpose of board meetings is to conduct the business of the HOA. If there ARE some sort of announcements that should be made to the membership, that can occur in a newsletter, via email (if permitted in CT), placed on your website, or posted on some sort of common area bulletin board.

Can you clarify?

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/14/2019 10:46 AM  
Posted By KateS2 on 01/14/2019 9:19 AM
I have nothing on the agenda for a meeting. Nothing to report or have been reported. I made the announcement in our November meeting that the meeting for December was cancelled and if anything arose that needed to be addressed to the membership a meeting will be scheduled. Is this sufficient or is this in violation of our by laws. The Board of Directors agreed and noted in the minutes.

How would we know what your Bylaws are? Being on the BOD and not knowing them does not shed a good light on you.
RichardP13
(California)

01/14/2019 11:04 AM  
Was kinda thinking the same thing.

Been there, Done that
KateS2
(Connecticut)

01/14/2019 11:26 AM  
Our bylaws says monthly meetings, we usually do not have one in December because of the holidays. I made the announcement in the November meeting that unless we have something on the agenda for January or some one has something to put on the agenda for January we will have an open meeting to the membership. I received nothing or have anything to discuss for the January meeting and will have one in February. But because there thy by law states regular monthly meetings, they feel the board should have one even if there is nothing to discuss.
KerryL1
(California)

01/14/2019 11:47 AM  
This may seem off your topic, Kate, but what size is your HOA? Do you have a property manager?

Can you give us the exact words in your bylaws that there SHALL or must be a meeting of the board every month.

KerryL1
(California)

01/14/2019 11:48 AM  
This may seem off your topic, Kate, but what size is your HOA? Do you have a property manager?

Can you give us the exact words in your bylaws that there SHALL or must be a meeting of the board every month.

Who is the "they" who feel you must have a monthly board meeting?

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/14/2019 2:35 PM  
Posted By KateS2 on 01/14/2019 11:26 AM
Our bylaws says monthly meetings, we usually do not have one in December because of the holidays. I made the announcement in the November meeting that unless we have something on the agenda for January or some one has something to put on the agenda for January we will have an open meeting to the membership. I received nothing or have anything to discuss for the January meeting and will have one in February. But because there thy by law states regular monthly meetings, they feel the board should have one even if there is nothing to discuss.

Do the Bylaws say must be held, can be held, should be held, etc. In two out three, it does not need to be held.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

01/14/2019 3:09 PM  
I could argue with your interpretation of should, but will not.

SueW6
(Michigan)

01/15/2019 5:30 AM  
Really, there should have been a motion of the board at the Nov meeting, to cancel the Dec. meeting.

To cancel is one one person’s call.
SueW6
(Michigan)

01/15/2019 5:31 AM  
... Is NOT one person’s call.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/15/2019 6:46 AM  
I think Kate’s anknouncement at the November meeting is sufficient. No one objected, so “general” agreement?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/15/2019 7:58 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 01/15/2019 6:46 AM
I think Kate’s anknouncement at the November meeting is sufficient. No one objected, so “general” agreement?

I agree.
KerryL1
(California)

01/15/2019 11:30 AM  
I go with Sue. It is NOT the prez's decisions to make. The whole board at a meeting should motion & vote on this topic with the result in the minutes.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/15/2019 11:45 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 01/15/2019 11:30 AM
I go with Sue. It is NOT the prez's decisions to make. The whole board at a meeting should motion & vote on this topic with the result in the minutes.

While I agree it should have been done with a motion and vote, Kate said she announced it to the BOD and no one objected thus they gave tacit approval. Would work for me.
KateS2
(Connecticut)

01/15/2019 12:01 PM  
It was brought up at the November meeting to cancel the December meeting and if problems arose that should be opened up to the membership, we would have a meeting in January, if not a February meeting would be held. Voted on and accepted by the board, not just the President
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/15/2019 4:37 PM  
I certainly respect Kerry’s opinion, but I see no reason for there to be a motion, second, etc on whether to have a particular monthly meeting, UNLESS there is is some particular brouhaha related to that decision.
KerryL1
(California)

01/15/2019 5:01 PM  
IMO, it's a board not a prez decision. In some HOAs the president can be a real bully and send down decisions from on high that should be agreed on by the board. Boards govern HOAs, not presidents.

So I agree with the way Kate's board did it.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

01/15/2019 7:32 PM  
Me, too ...no motion, but general agreement.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement