Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, May 19, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Cluster Mailbox Location
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JanetC6
(Arizona)

01/13/2019 1:19 PM  
I live in a small community with 3 cluster mailbox installations. Two are on community property (by the pool) and the third is sitting on my property. There are no sidewalks and there are no recorded easements pertaining to this box.
When the neighborhood was being built, my property was supposed to be common land. I'm told that the builder decided to squeeze in one more house. I suspect that the box was supposed to be on the common land and there was an oversight by the developer that has gone unnoticed until this time.
I am concerned about my liability with this box being here, and want to request that it be moved. I cannot find any information about the criteria for locating the cluster boxes. I have reached out to the USPS but that is moving slowly.
Does anyone know of any document that outlines the acceptable locations for cluster boxes?
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

01/13/2019 1:50 PM  
If your concern is ONLY about liability you could grant AND RECORD an easement to the association for the placement and maintenance of the CBUs in question.

If you wish the trespassing objects removed from your property you will need the services of an attorney.

? Did you not inspect the property BEFORE purchasing same ?

? May there actually ALREADY be an easement in place ?

Check your plat !

If you don't have one -> GET ONE
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

01/13/2019 1:52 PM  
https://www.mailboxes.com/united_states_postal_service_mailbox_regulations_and_specifications/
JanetC6
(Arizona)

01/13/2019 2:38 PM  
Thank you for your input.

Yes, I have a Plat, there is no easement in place. I have also gone down to the recorders office to confirm that.

When I purchased the property I was told that it was on "Common Area". A recent surveys indicates that this is my property not common area.

I have reviewed the link you also supplied. I have seen that information...which all deals with the specifications of the actual boxes with no mention of "locating" the boxes. What I am trying to find is some documentation that outlines the parameters regarding where the box can be installed.

Thanks again...I will keep searching
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/13/2019 3:14 PM  
See: U. S. Postal Service National Delivery Planning Standards A Guide for Builders
and Developers

Which states:

Placement of Outdoor Cluster Boxes
The local USPS Growth Manager or designee must approve the CBU mailbox sites and type of equipment.
Cluster boxes must be safely located so that customers are not required to travel an unreasonable distance to obtain their mail and so there is sufficient access to mailbox locations with adequate space for carriers to deliver and customers to retrieve the mail. Typically, a mailbox receptacle will be located within 1 block of the residence.

It's nice that you are talking with the post office. However, the cluster mailboxes belong to the Association and it's the Association you will have to deal with. More then likely, you may need to contact an attorney to force the issue if you want them moved.

If you are thinking about providing an easement, you should contact an attorney so your rights are protected and the paperwork is done properly.

Regardless of your decision, you will need to deal with the Association on this matter.
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/13/2019 3:16 PM  
Note: this was located with a simple internet search. There were other resources as well.

Perform an internet search for the following: location of cluster mailboxes
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Cluster Mailbox Location

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement