Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, January 21, 2019

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: CC&R without HOA, getting sued for not supporting amendment
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PaulL10
(Washington)

01/11/2019 12:30 PM  
My neighborhood does not have an HOA, only a CC&R.
A new owner of my neighborhood wants to remove or update the CC&R.
The CC&R states that he needs a majority of owners to agree.
He went around asking for supporters but did not get a majority.
A process server is now serving summons to neighbors requesting the CC&R to be modified and most importantly requesting defendants (which presumably includes me) to pay for the plaintiff's attorneys' fees.

Can I really be forced to pay for that guy's attorney just because I didn't support modifying the CC&R?

Feels like legal bullying to me.

Paul.
AugustinD

01/11/2019 12:37 PM  
Are you sure a lawsuit has actually been filed? Attorneys nearly always send letters of demand for several months before filing in court. Why? Because judges expect attorneys to do all they can before filing a lawsuit in the incredibly overburdened courts. Some cowboys hire process servers to deliver xyz piece of paper just to intimidate people. Using a process server means nothing. It's the papers that have been given you that you want to read carefully.
PaulL10
(Washington)

01/11/2019 12:52 PM  
Good to know, I will check on that.
SueW6
(Michigan)

01/11/2019 12:59 PM  
You are all members of the HOA - even if it fails to govern.
(Shame on that, how long has it been since it stopped activity? )

So this homeowner had no choice but to summon the members individually - because there’s no HOA to protect yourselves. (That’s one thing an incorporated HOA does- protect the individual. )

Have you been paying dues? If so, who has control of the account?
PaulL10
(Washington)

01/11/2019 1:08 PM  
There never was an HOA.
No mention of one in the CC&R, the deeds or at the county archives.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

01/11/2019 2:14 PM  
Posted By SueW6 on 01/11/2019 12:59 PM
You are all members of the HOA - even if it fails to govern.
(Shame on that, how long has it been since it stopped activity? )

So this homeowner had no choice but to summon the members individually - because there’s no HOA to protect yourselves. (That’s one thing an incorporated HOA does- protect the individual. )

Have you been paying dues? If so, who has control of the account?

You can have CCRs/Deed Restrictions/Covenants/etc. without having an association. If the CCRs don't mention an association, then there would not be one. For example, my CCR's explicitly create an association and have many references to one:
2. ESTABLISHMENT OF HOMEOWNERS" ASSOCIATION OF XXX, INC.. There shall be established a homeowners'
association, hereinafter sometimes referred to as Association,
composed of record owners of each lot. The Association shall be
the XXX HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION, INC., organized
and existing under the laws of the State of Florida. The
Association shall administer the operation and maintenance of the
common areas and property of XXX and other duties
hereafter provided for. The Association shall have all the
powers and duties set forth in this Declaration and in the
Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws and as granted by the laws
of the State of Florida to non-profit corporations.

My understanding is that deed restricted communities started becoming common as early as the 1920s, with associations becoming more common starting in the 1960s or '70s, so there are a lot of older deed restricted communities that don't and never have had an association. In the absence of an association, it would be up to other owners to enforce violations through the courts.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

01/11/2019 2:18 PM  
Anybody can sue just about anybody else for just about anything, that doesn't necessarily mean they have a case or any chance of prevailing. If you have actually been sued vs. just getting a threatening letter, you really should talk to an attorney. You might even have grounds for a countersuit to recover YOUR costs.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
LetA
(Nevada)

01/11/2019 5:25 PM  
Posted By PaulL10 on 01/11/2019 12:30 PM
My neighborhood does not have an HOA, only a CC&R.
A new owner of my neighborhood wants to remove or update the CC&R.
The CC&R states that he needs a majority of owners to agree.
He went around asking for supporters but did not get a majority.
A process server is now serving summons to neighbors requesting the CC&R to be modified and most importantly requesting defendants (which presumably includes me) to pay for the plaintiff's attorneys' fees.

Can I really be forced to pay for that guy's attorney just because I didn't support modifying the CC&R?

Feels like legal bullying to me.

Paul.

Did you receive"greetings" wrapped in pretty blue paper? If Yes, you NEED a lawyer. Can anyone sue you? Yes.. Hire an attorney, it is likely this a$$hats suit against you and your neighbors will be tossed out with prejudice at a pre-trial discovery hearing.
LetA
(Nevada)

01/11/2019 5:26 PM  
just for chits and giggles, do you feel comfortable scanning and posting the complaint you received? just back out the names.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > CC&R without HOA, getting sued for not supporting amendment

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement