Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, January 21, 2019

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: renters have more privileges than some shareholders
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JoanQ
(California)

12/21/2018 11:55 AM  
our co-op has a rule stating "non-family guests staying in a unit are permitted only with the shareholder on the premises". We also allow 20% of the units to be rented. The logic escapes me that I cannot have a friend(s) stay in my unit when I am not present (people I know), but some shareholders are allowed to rent their units out to basically strangers. Anybody else out there have these rules??
SueW6
(Michigan)

12/21/2018 1:00 PM  
I see the difference quite easily.

A guest stays at a unit only when the owner is also there. I’m sure you have a limit on how long a guest can visit.

A renter has a lease, pays rent, and does not need the owner to be in the home with them. Leases have a time frame in the contract.
KerryL1
(California)

12/21/2018 1:16 PM  
This quote, JoanQ, is very odd: "non-family guests staying in a unit are permitted only with the shareholder on the premises." It's "on the premises" words that're odd. Can you add the words before & after this strange quotation? What document is it in, anyway?

In our condo building,, we have a rules that residents must accompany their guests if they use amenities on the premises.
In most CC&Rs, btw, owners who rent out their units may not use the common area amenities.
AugustinD

12/21/2018 2:16 PM  
JoanQ, I think this is pretty usual. Contracts help protect against liabilities. Guests are not under contract. So I can understand why the rule is as you stated.
JoanQ
(California)

12/21/2018 3:48 PM  
thank you everyone for your thoughts this is exactly why I asked, to receive different opinions and angles. - our co-op allows all kinds of relatives to stay without shareholder being present. Guess the liability would be implied since they are "family"? There is a group of us that are attempting to change the policy and I want to make sure we cover all possibilities. We did come up with a non-revenue generating guest idea which would be the same as a renter. FYI renters time period is not less than 30 days and no more than 4 months. Family can come and go with max of 90 days in a year. One part of the family policy would allow the in-laws of a niece or nephew, but no cousins.

KerryL1
(California)

12/21/2018 4:50 PM  
Joan, why not visit davis-stirling.com, which is compiled by CA HOA attorneys. their Main Index has many topics listed that you can click on. You might try cooperatives first just for the heck of it. I do believe they're covered by the Davis-Stirling Act. Also click on "visitors," Guests."

Are you on the board?
JoanQ
(California)

12/21/2018 4:53 PM  
thank you I have been reviewing Davis-Stirling Act and continue to do so, and will use when I am able to cite a few rules. I am not on the Board -yet. hahahaha
JoanQ
(California)

01/10/2019 7:20 PM  
this is the complete sentence

11. VISITORS AND GUESTS:
Family members can use the unit with limitations as specified in #10 above and Article IX, Section 3 of the Bylaws, which states, “at least one person in each Unit must be a person 55 years of age or over.” Non-family guests staying in a unit are permitted only with the shareholder on the premises.

nothing after this paragraph

CathyA3
(Ohio)

01/11/2019 5:19 AM  
Posted By JoanQ on 01/10/2019 7:20 PM
this is the complete sentence

11. VISITORS AND GUESTS:
Family members can use the unit with limitations as specified in #10 above and Article IX, Section 3 of the Bylaws, which states, “at least one person in each Unit must be a person 55 years of age or over.” Non-family guests staying in a unit are permitted only with the shareholder on the premises.

nothing after this paragraph

Now it makes sense: 55-and-over communities tend to have additional restrictions to preserve the nature of the community, and some of these restrictions would not pass the Fair Housing test in other communities. (The Fair Housing laws specifically exempt 55-and-older communities from certain provisions.)
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > renters have more privileges than some shareholders

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement