Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, January 21, 2019

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Community Access
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JillS8
(California)

12/20/2018 6:35 AM  
Living in a gated community that needs a remote to enter . A homeowner had a remote programmed 3 months ago . Something went wrong and now remote does not work. Homeowner has requested several times that the Management Company and the board call gate contractor out to fix.. Homeowner concerned that her daughter and safety as she now has to get out of car to open manually. What is a fair amount of time for this homeowner to wait for board to accommodate the request? Is it a fair request?
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

12/20/2018 7:40 AM  
This is something that should have been handled within 24 hours, unless it is part of some larger problem requiring more time, in which case the owner should get a timeline.

But, I'm not sure that the problem is with the gate. Sounds like the remote needs to be reprogrammed or replaced, both of which could be done within hours.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

12/20/2018 7:45 AM  
If everybody else's remote works, then I would tell the owner to buy a new remote. In our association, we don't supply gate remotes, but will suggest which ones are known to work and assist with programming.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
JillS8
(California)

12/20/2018 7:50 AM  
The remotes worked. Gate system was updated and the gate tech programmed their remote and then it stopped working.
RichardP13
(California)

12/20/2018 8:46 AM  
Posted By JillS8 on 12/20/2018 7:50 AM
The remotes worked. Gate system was updated and the gate tech programmed their remote and then it stopped working.

Then I have to assume then that all homeowners remote access to the gate doesn't work. Correct?
DouglasK1
(Florida)

12/20/2018 9:29 AM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 12/20/2018 8:46 AM

Then I have to assume then that all homeowners remote access to the gate doesn't work. Correct?

My comment above is based on our gate technology with "dumb" remotes where they all send the same static code. In this case, if a single remote doesn't work, it is a problem with the remote.

My understanding is that some newer systems are more sophisticated, either using a rolling code or some other method that makes each remote unique. In that case it might take somebody on the association side with technical expertise to assist.

RichardP13
(California)

12/20/2018 9:55 AM  
All the HOA's I have managed who had gates used a remote that was programmed with the toggle switches.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

12/20/2018 10:33 AM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 12/20/2018 9:55 AM
All the HOA's I have managed who had gates used a remote that was programmed with the toggle switches.

That's how ours is, and all remotes send the same static code. I assume most are that way too, but there are companies selling more sophisticated rolling code systems, similar to what most garage door openers have been using for at least the past 20 years. With a rolling code system, each remote is uniquely identified to the gate controller and programming requires action on both sides.

RichardP13
(California)

12/20/2018 10:35 AM  
Will only know once the OP responds
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/20/2018 6:01 PM  
Yeah ... I don’t understand this one.
FredS7
(Arizona)

12/21/2018 8:59 AM  
1. Yes, if there is a problem with the gate it is reasonable to expect a rapid response (< 24 hours).

2. Yes, it is very likely the problem is with the poster's remote.

3. Depending on the system the poster may or may not need the assistance of the association to get a new (or old) remote working.
JillS8
(California)

12/28/2018 8:24 AM  
My remote worked for years. Piggy back system added to accommodate more remotes. Gate Company programmed my remote to new system. Remote stopped working. Not my remote.😀
ArtL1
(Florida)

01/01/2019 10:39 AM  
Posted By DouglasK1 on 12/20/2018 9:29 AM
Posted By RichardP13 on 12/20/2018 8:46 AM

My comment above is based on our gate technology with "dumb" remotes where they all send the same static code. In this case, if a single remote doesn't work, it is a problem with the remote.

My understanding is that some newer systems are more sophisticated, either using a rolling code or some other method that makes each remote unique. In that case it might take somebody on the association side with technical expertise to assist.

This really depends on how modern/antiquated the gate controller is. My gated community with a 13 year old system has unique codes (not rolling) per remote. This means you can program your vehicle's Homelink remote from a gate clicker, but the gate controller needs to have a database maintained that allows every code we know of (for all the remotes issued or sold to residents) to open the gates. AFAIK, if it was rolling codes, this wouldn't be possible without a more involved pairing process (which I had to do for my garage door opener).

If the controller is replaced, that database needs to be reloaded. If that was done recently, it's possible the gate maintenance company didn't have the full database or didn't properly program the full list. Either way, this is something a competent gate maintenance company should have handled in a day or so.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement