Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: remodeling & upgrading
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LanceD2

12/14/2018 10:16 AM  
ok here we go again..
on the last condo i lived in there was a clause in the bylaws stating if one wanted to have work done or upgrades done in xxx amount of dollars then they wound need to have it approved by the board for insurance reasons. and the condo before that didn't have anything stating about upgrades. so i asked and someone on the board told me i could do what ever i wanted on the inside. so i am wondering if that's the case here since there's nothing in the bylaws about preforming upgrades inside... and yes i would use a pro that's licenced and insured and bonded!!!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

12/14/2018 11:35 AM  
You may be looking in the wrong place. Generally bylaws dictate how the association is to be run (e.g. number of board members, how often it meets, elections, etc.) CCRs govern use of the common areas, which may include number of pets, when you can rent your unit and....changes to the unit.

Rules regarding changes to the unit usually focus on the outside of the unit, such as fences, types of windows - in other words, things you can see from the street. That means you're usually free to do whatever you want on the inside unless you're making some sort of radical change that could impact the common area, such as enlarging a room.

In short, keep reading - if necessary, have your attorney look at the documents so you'll be certain. Better yet, just go back to the board and tell them what you'd like to do. If they say it's ok (all of them), you're probably ok, but if you're paranoid, it wouldn't hurt to have them prepare a written statement to that effect to protect everyone.

PS - please use paragraphs next time. Your post was a bit hard to read, as I think you rushed to write it.

PPS - I'm glad you did your due diligence in selecting a licensed and bonded contractor - it seems too many people opt for the cheapest price and then wonder why they get ripped off. You don't have to pick the most expensive, but when work is being done on the most valuable thing you own, why lowball it?
KerryL1
(California)

12/14/2018 11:35 AM  
Is this a condo too, Lance? If so I would be astonished if there are NO guidelines or rules about doing work in your unit. You will not find this in whatever it is you're calling the "bylaws." You will find this in the CC&Rs. There also might be document about Architectural Changes.

On you last post--and I won't look at it a gain, I believe we advised you to carefully read all of the documents before your purchase--eespcially in a condo HOA. It sounds like you ignored us.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

12/14/2018 12:39 PM  
Posted By SheliaH on 12/14/2018 11:35 AM

Rules regarding changes to the unit usually focus on the outside of the unit, such as fences, types of windows - in other words, things you can see from the street. That means you're usually free to do whatever you want on the inside unless you're making some sort of radical change that could impact the common area, such as enlarging a room.

Also things that could affect other units, like noise caused by a flooring change.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
KerryL1
(California)

12/14/2018 1:17 PM  
For condos, Sheila & Douglas, many changes to the INTERIOR require architectural committee approval. Ours, for instance, states we must seek such approval for any wall penetration of the sheetrock, plumbing routing changes and electrical routing changes. There's more too.

The application must include the architectural drawings and mechanical drawings re: the unit. There's often duct work, piping, lines to ceiling sprinklers, etc. etc. I believe ours are not different than most condo projects.

Contractors usually are required to list their licenses & insurance on the arch. change app form. An actual committees decides whether to approve. There are hours and days limitations and, if applicable, reservations for elevators, etc.
KerryL1
(California)

12/14/2018 1:17 PM  
For condos, Sheila & Douglas, many changes to the INTERIOR require architectural committee approval. Ours, for instance, states we must seek such approval for any wall penetration of the sheetrock, plumbing routing changes and electrical routing changes. There's more too.

The application must include the architectural drawings and mechanical drawings re: the unit. There's often duct work, piping, lines to ceiling sprinklers, etc. etc. I believe ours are not different than most condo projects.

Contractors usually are required to list their licenses & insurance on the arch. change app form. An actual committees decides whether to approve. There are hours and days limitations and, if applicable, reservations for elevators, etc.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/14/2018 4:07 PM  
Flooring issues are usually the largest concern and those that require opening up walls. If your opening up walls to move plumbing/electrical, location or complete removal that is a concern. Not necessarily a dollar amount. Most HOA's concern themselves with Exterior conditions. Interior varies.

Home remodeling in general is a tricky investment. You should never upgrade or improve more than what your neighbors may have. For example: You don't put in granite counter tops while most homes have formica. That expense/upgrade isn't necessarily going to get you more money for doing that. It just kind of prices you out.

So I don't recommend those who purchase to flip to over do it. At some point installing marble in a mobile home doesn't get your home sold for a higher price. It just makes it an expensive mobile home with marble flooring. Your trailer park neighbors aren't going to be happy.

Former HOA President
KerryL1
(California)

12/14/2018 4:57 PM  
Please clarify, Lance.

1. You ARE talking about a condo, right??

2. Condo or detached home: Never, EVER believe a verbal statement from "a board member." They might not know what they're talking about; they might have misunderstood your questions. You want everything in writing from the board of directors or from the property management company if they can speak for the board. It's also possible you'd get something in writing from some sort of architectural approval committee.

Ask your property manager for the documents you need to read if you can't find them or read them on your own.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/15/2018 7:04 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 12/14/2018 4:57 PM
Please clarify, Lance.

1. You ARE talking about a condo, right??

2. Condo or detached home: Never, EVER believe a verbal statement from "a board member." They might not know what they're talking about; they might have misunderstood your questions. You want everything in writing from the board of directors or from the property management company if they can speak for the board. It's also possible you'd get something in writing from some sort of architectural approval committee.

Ask your property manager for the documents you need to read if you can't find them or read them on your own.

Sound advice. Better safe than sorry. Get anything in writing.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > remodeling & upgrading

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement