Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, March 21, 2019

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Water Heaters in Connecticut
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
EricK2
(Connecticut)

12/14/2018 7:12 AM  
Hey guys, I'd like to get some input on a current program that I'm running for my company. I work for Hubbell Water Heaters, we're a hot water tank manufacturer location in Connecticut.

This is a water heater rental program that we started about a year ago. This program allows individuals to actually rent their water heater for a low monthly payment. Within the monthly payment, the program includes install, service repair and replacement at no additional cost. Our agreement consists of five (5) years so that we can spread the payments throughout that period of time to offer the lowest monthly amount possible. The monthly payments could be as low as $14.99 a month.

Some people don't have that $1500-$2000 to spend on a new water heater and install costs so that was the real reason for creating this program. We've found that others consider joining the program just for the convenience of paying the same amount each month and knowing that whatever issues they experience, it will all be taken care of. I've been running digital advertisements targeting homeowners all over Connecticut to let them know that it is an option if they are ever in need. Unfortunately as of right now we are only servicing Connecticut but are hoping to eventually expand as the program develops.

I recently worked with a property manager where we ended up installing 50 rental water heaters into an apartment complex where each unit had their own mechanical room. The property management company pays us a fixed monthly payment for the 50 units. If there is ever an issue, the tenant would call the property manager and then they would call Hubbell to come out and service the unit. Whether it's just a part that needs to be replaced or the entire unit, the property manager will not pay anything additional from that fixed monthly payment. You can sort of consider this service as having a property manager just for your water heater. The big selling point was that property managers don't need to worry about those water heater issues or those emergency calls during the middle of the night anymore.

I'm curious to hear what some others may think of this program. I love the part of being able to help those residential homeowners who don't have enough for that upfront cost and instead could just pay monthly and have all service fully included. After working with this property management company, it opened my eyes to a completely different market.

What do you guys think of this program? Do you think it's a good idea and has potential? Regardless if yes or no, maybe you could add a note explaining why.

Thank you so much for the time. I really look forward to hearing your thoughts!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

12/14/2018 7:23 AM  
Sorry, but this looks like a business solicitation, which isn't allowed on this website.
EricK2
(Connecticut)

12/14/2018 7:37 AM  
Please allow me to provide clarity on this. This is in fact NOT a business solicitation. It does have a connection to HOA and all I'm asking for is some honest feedback on the topic.

Thank you!
TimM11

12/14/2018 7:53 AM  
HOAs are generally not responsible for things like water heaters; those are typically the responsibility of individual homeowners. This sounds like something more geared towards owners and property managers of rental properties. I'd say you would get better feedback from a forum geared towards them.
EricK2
(Connecticut)

12/14/2018 8:01 AM  
Hey Tim,

Thank you for the feedback! Something that I read up on was that some HOA have some type of rule where certain locations require tenants to get a new water heater say every eight (8) years or so.

Have you heard anything on this at all? Do you know who would be responsible for this type of decision making? I thought it was an interesting approach because as you said, water heaters are typically the individual homeowner's responsibility. If there isn't some type of regulation and you have all outdated water heaters, the property manager is surely going to have quite a few calls come in.

From my understanding, hot water would be considered an emergency and needs to be fixed right away. This would cost the property management company some extra money since it's an emergency. If the HOA said that each tenant needs to replace their water heater every eight (8) years as some type of preventive maintenance, it would definitely limit the amount of emergency calls that come in.

I'm just shooting some thoughts out there. I'm curious what you think.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/14/2018 5:04 PM  
What do you do if someone stops paying?
GenoS
(Florida)

12/15/2018 12:11 AM  
Posted By EricK2 on 12/14/2018 7:37 AM
Please allow me to provide clarity on this. This is in fact NOT a business solicitation. It does have a connection to HOA and all I'm asking for is some honest feedback on the topic.

It's absolutely a business solicitation. Over under on the "if you give me your contact information we can discuss a plan for you"? 48 hrs.

Over/under on how fast this thread gets deleted? 24 hrs.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/15/2018 6:21 AM  
Erik,

I think this would have better done had you not mentioned the name of the company ...
SamE2
(New Jersey)

12/15/2018 2:52 PM  
The HOA/property manager has nothing to do with water heaters in our association. It is the responsibility of the individual unit owner.
LisaD6
(Connecticut)

12/16/2018 9:10 AM  
to the one posting this. Would you pay 1500-2000 for a water heater in your house. Enough said.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

12/16/2018 10:35 AM  
if a quality (non 'big box store') heater PROPERLY installed according to good or best practice (not merely meeting MINIMUM code) YES, YES, a thousand times YES
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

12/16/2018 10:50 AM  
+ note the rigid metallic piping

+ note the FLOOR DRAIN to accept the VISIBLE 'blow-off' from the T-PRV discharge which ends 6" above the floor

or have a 'pan' of adequate size and actually piped to drain in ceiling below if a 'condo'

+ note the 12 year tank warranty and DUAL anode rods

+ note the dielectric unions

WATER HEATER GOOD PRACTICE

Unfortunately we have become accustomed to 'pretty', 'shiny', and 'large' INSTEAD of quality, durability, and trouble free LONGEVITY.

Good clean Oats are costly - used Oats are MUCH less expensive.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

12/16/2018 1:31 PM  
ps. "used Oats" refers to pre-digested Oats
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Water Heaters in Connecticut

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement