Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Board -rescind resignation
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
KarenH19
(Maryland)

12/14/2018 6:16 AM  
I am in Maryland. I was President of my hoa and chairman of the architectural committee during the first year the hoa was turned over to us. Because of being overwhelmed I resigned from the board. At our annual meeting only one person expressed interest on being on the board so she was automatically put on the board However at the board meeting the board asked me to stay on until they found a replacement and I was made Vice President. We also decided the new President would be the chairman of the architectural committee. The minutes of the meeting first indicating that I resigned and at the same meeting asked me to stay on the board has not yet been approved or distributed to the homeowners Because I did enjoy being on the board and because it wouldn’t be as much work i want to stay on the board They still have not found anyone else that’s want to be on the board. Can I rescind my resignation?
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

12/14/2018 7:28 AM  
No, you may not rescind your resignation after it has been submitted UNLESS you have not yet reached its effective date.

No, you may not 'alter' the minutes to 'make it go away'.

Yes, you may accept an appointment to the BOD after resigning.

Best of Luck
SheliaH
(Indiana)

12/14/2018 7:32 AM  
You can try, but the board may or may not accept it. What may help you is that no one else expressed interest in the job, so you might be in luck. The action at the last meeting should stand because that's what happened and board meeting minutes should reflect what went on.

That said, you need to decide how much work is too much and whether you'll stick it out this time, especially if you're going to serve as vice president. You know your schedule better than anyone and there's more to HOA boards than just showing up at a meeting and deciding how to spend money. If you really don't have the time (or don't want to make the time), do yourself and everyone else a favor and let the board find someone else. Otherwise, get yourself organized so you can do the job effectively (this doesn't mean do everything, which may be why you flamed out the first time).

CathyA3
(Ohio)

12/14/2018 10:21 AM  
I agree with Royal and Shelia: once you've resigned, you're no longer on the board. The remaining board members can vote to appoint you to the open position, but they are not obligated to do so - they can appoint another person if they want. The vote should take place at the next board meeting and should appear in the minutes.

In Ohio, email is considered to be "in writing", and sometimes board members get angry, frustrated, tired, etc., and they go home and bat off an email saying "I quit!" When they cool down and decide that they really didn't want to resign after all, they're surprised to discover that they're no longer on the board and that the open position isn't "theirs".
JeffT2
(Iowa)

12/14/2018 11:49 AM  
I have a quite a different take on it.

Your bylaws and/or state law should have a statement on how to resign from the board. What do your bylaws say on this? Most likely it says that the resignation is in writing (email is writing) and is effective when received (unless a future date is specified). If so, the board should not 'accept' or reject a verbal resignation, which is effectively removing someone from the board when the board has no authority to accept a resignation or to remove a board member in this way.

Your bylaws should also say how a board member can be removed, which probably does not take place by a motion or accepting resignations (unless the board was the entity that originally appointed a board member).

From the viewpoint of an individual board member, a verbal resignation does not mean that you have resigned, even if 'accepted,' since it should be in writing. Same thing if your resignation was at the annual meeting.

So if your resignation was verbal and not in writing, then you are still on the board.

To be fair, this is an opinion and I have not looked up any court cases.

As Royal noted, the current board member or members can appoint you to a vacancy on the board. This does not necessarily have to be done at a board meeting. At a proper board meeting with a quorum, the board can then vote you to be vice president.
KerryL1
(California)

12/14/2018 1:09 PM  
With Jeff, you probably must resign in writing. Look at your own bylaws, Karen, to see how to properly resign from the board and from your office. If not there, read your state's corporation codes about the same topic.

If you, in fact, resigned properly, the board can vote to appoint you to the board. It also can vote to appoint you to the office of VP. In CA, this must be done at an open board meeting. What is correct in MD, Karen? These are things you should learn to serves on the board.
SueW6
(Michigan)

12/14/2018 1:15 PM  
You could have withdrawn your res nation, but it sounds like that it’s already recorded in the minutes and thus, acknowledged by the board.

So it’s a clean slate.

The current board can fill the vacancy - appoint you and you go from there.

Don’t complicate the future by trying to undo a past action.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/14/2018 1:37 PM  
Posted By SueW6 on 12/14/2018 1:15 PM
You could have withdrawn your res nation, but it sounds like that it’s already recorded in the minutes and thus, acknowledged by the board.

So it’s a clean slate.

The current board can fill the vacancy - appoint you and you go from there.

Don’t complicate the future by trying to undo a past action.

I agree.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Board -rescind resignation

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement