Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Assessment Fee Increase
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MelodyM
(Florida)

12/13/2018 10:58 AM  
By Florida Law is the HOA supposed to mail (USPS) a letter stating that the Assessment fees will increase? Isn't there a cap on how much (percentage) they can increase per year? Also, for additional Special Assessments (road improvement, hot tub addition) isn't a letter supposed to be mailed out with the budget for these improvements/additions.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

12/13/2018 11:49 AM  
The Florida HOA statute is 720 (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0720/0720.html), for condos it is 718.

As far as notification, I see this in 720:
The association shall provide each member with a copy of the annual budget or a written notice that a copy of the budget is available upon request at no charge to the member. The copy must be provided to the member within the time limits set forth in subsection (5).

We include the annual assessment amount with the budget, which has to be provided 30 days before it becomes effective per our governing docs. As far as I know there is no requirement to mail. Our association uses a combination of email and hand delivery (left on the front door) for notifications, and as far as I know, that is acceptable.

I am not aware of any statutory limit on increases, although some governing docs provide a percent or dollar limit.

For special assessments:
Written notice of any meeting at which special assessments will be considered or at which amendments to rules regarding parcel use will be considered must be mailed, delivered, or electronically transmitted to the members and parcel owners and posted conspicuously on the property or broadcast on closed-circuit cable television not less than 14 days before the meeting.

I don't see anything else regarding the notification of special assessments, perhaps somebody else with more time or familiarity with the statute will weigh in.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

12/13/2018 12:10 PM  
You should check your documents as well - I would hope there's something that addresses assessments and making the budget available to the homeowners. Special assessments usually have to be approved by the members, but you have to look at the budget first.

As far as a cap goes, I would think that varies by community. In our community, the board can up the budget up to 5% over the current year's fees without homeowner approval - check your documents to see if that's addressed as well. I don't think it would be practical for a state legislature to mandate a cap because community 1 may have more or fewer items to cover in its budget as opposed to community 2.

And haven't you asked your Board about any of this anyway? If so, what was the response?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/13/2018 2:06 PM  
Melody,

What is your assessment of the Florida statutes governing HOAs and budgets?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/13/2018 2:19 PM  
In our HOA we can raise the annual assessment as much as we jolly well like to. That said, there is a procedure for owners to overturn any increase but we do not need their approval to do so.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

12/13/2018 2:53 PM  
Assessment Fee is a tautology.

Unless, of course, there actually is a fee upon the assessments.

Sort of like the ad: DVT Blood Clot, IOW a deep vein thrombosis blood clot when a thrombosis IS a blood clot.

Or: hot water heater, as in 'who wants to heat hot water?:

? where in the 'gov docs' does it specify an assessment fee ?

!? nowhere ?!

therefor there can be no requirement for notification

The actual useful and positive point of all this is that the HOA is governed/controlled by LEGALITIES.

Wording and verbiage is EVERYTHING !

So, the accurate answer to the OP's question would be NO.

The useful answer to the question meant by the OP is YES there must be notification to the membership.

GenoS
(Florida)

12/13/2018 3:40 PM  
Posted By MelodyM on 12/13/2018 10:58 AM
By Florida Law is the HOA supposed to mail (USPS) a letter stating that the Assessment fees will increase? Isn't there a cap on how much (percentage) they can increase per year? Also, for additional Special Assessments (road improvement, hot tub addition) isn't a letter supposed to be mailed out with the budget for these improvements/additions.

Hi Melody,
As long as meeting notice requirements are met, and in the absence of limiting language in the governing documents, an HOA board can raise assessments as much as it wants without limitation. Board meetings where Regular Assessments are considered require the notice (which does not have to be written) to state that assessments will be considered.

Board meetings where a Special Assessment is considered do require a 14-day advance written notice.

In both cases any cap would have to be specified in the governing documents. The statute doesn't care. There are additional steps to be followed for Condominium associations that want to increase assessments by 15% or more, but they don't apply to HOAs.
JeffT2
(Iowa)

12/13/2018 4:24 PM  
Posted By RoyalP on 12/13/2018 2:53 PM
Assessment Fee is a tautology.

Unless, of course, there actually is a fee upon the assessments.

Sort of like the ad: DVT Blood Clot, IOW a deep vein thrombosis blood clot when a thrombosis IS a blood clot.

Or: hot water heater, as in 'who wants to heat hot water?:

? where in the 'gov docs' does it specify an assessment fee ?

!? nowhere ?!

therefor there can be no requirement for notification

The actual useful and positive point of all this is that the HOA is governed/controlled by LEGALITIES.

Wording and verbiage is EVERYTHING !

So, the accurate answer to the OP's question would be NO.

The useful answer to the question meant by the OP is YES there must be notification to the membership.

Thank you for declarifying.

I heat my hot water when it is cold, and will not continue to do so often.

Irregardless, of course people require notification of nothing in order to pay something.

Jabberwhat?

RoyalP
(South Carolina)

12/13/2018 7:02 PM  
Jabberwocky

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

'Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!'

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood a while in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One two! One two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

'And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Lewis Carroll

GenoS
(Florida)

12/14/2018 11:31 PM  
Posted By RoyalP on 12/13/2018 7:02 PM
Jabberwocky

I still remember Desi Arnaz buthering it on Saturday Night Live during its first season. "Who the he11 talks like this?"
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

12/15/2018 8:09 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 12/14/2018 11:31 PM
Posted By RoyalP on 12/13/2018 7:02 PM
Jabberwocky

I still remember Desi Arnaz ?! buthering !? it on Saturday Night Live during its first season. "Who the he11 talks like this?"

WONERFUL
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA Assessment Fee Increase

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement