Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Meeting Locations
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JohnD65
(Maryland)

12/10/2018 8:23 PM  
Hello HOA TALK

I live in a small HOA community in Maryland. Is it traditional to have the annual budget meeting on neutral grounds? The board wants to hold the budget meeting at a (non-board) member's house this year. In the past, it was always held on neutral grounds (a school, church, etc.). I don't see anything in the by-laws or R&R's about the meeting's location, but I feel that it is unfair to hold it at an owners house. This person will obviously be voting.
TimB4
(Virginia)

12/11/2018 3:20 AM  
I don't see how the location of a meeting matters that much unless it is a multi-hour drive.

When we voted to increase our assessments (membership vote required), the meeting was held at my house because the school we normally hold meetings at wasn't available.

SheliaH
(Indiana)

12/11/2018 6:11 AM  
I don't see what's unfair about having the meeting at an owner's house. If the homeowners are voting on the budget, everyone there will have a vote, so what's the problem? If you vote one way and the host votes another, are you two going to throw down right then and there? I doubt the owner will toss you or anyone else out because you exercised your right to vote - which you'd have regardless of the location.

It may be the meeting's being held at the owner's house to save money - perhaps you should ask the board why the change was made (and offer to find a place that IS affordable?) You don't say how big your HOA is, but if the person has the room and everyone helps out, perhaps by bringing something for refreshments or assisting the owner in cleaning up after the meeting, that's a good way to get things done.
TimM11

12/11/2018 6:40 AM  
I'm not seeing the issue, since it doesn't sound like there is anything requiring you to hold it at a certain place.

We always have ours offsite, but that's because we need the space to accommodate everyone.
AdamD1
(Indiana)

12/11/2018 6:45 AM  
My concerns about having it at a homeowner's house:

1. If there are stairs involved to get to the room, would that prohibit some with mobility issues?
2. If the hosting homeowner has been feuding with another homeowner that wants to attend, would that pose an uncomfortable situation for both parties?

For those two reasons, we have kept Board and Annual meetings on public grounds, i.e. a middle school next door to our housing development for our annual meeting and a community college on the other side of town for Board meetings. It works for us, but doing it in someone's home may work better for you. Best of luck!
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

12/11/2018 7:30 AM  
It's not ideal, but I don't see any reason why it should be objectionable.

Is there more to the story? Why did they pick this house? It might just be as simple as "the usual venue wasn't available on the date we needed it".
AugustinD

12/11/2018 8:14 AM  
I agree generally with others here. Meeting at a member's home is far from ideal. Adam's concerns would be mine. Plus there are liability issues. Depending on the HOA, it is often one annoying chore to find a public place to meet, desirably at no charge. JohnD46, when you object, make sure you volunteer to do the calling around to find such a place; complete the paperwork for using the public place (and there is often paperwork); arrange for the usually nominal fee (which the HOA should pay) for using the space; informing the board of what you found and then waiting for its vote of approval; et cetera. Your HOA is small enough that there may be a large enough conference room in a number of places, such as the public library; city hall; one of the public schools; et cetera.
JohnD65
(Maryland)

12/11/2018 10:43 AM  
Posted By AdamD1 on 12/11/2018 6:45 AM
My concerns about having it at a homeowner's house:

1. If there are stairs involved to get to the room, would that prohibit some with mobility issues?
2. If the hosting homeowner has been feuding with another homeowner that wants to attend, would that pose an uncomfortable situation for both parties?

For those two reasons, we have kept Board and Annual meetings on public grounds, i.e. a middle school next door to our housing development for our annual meeting and a community college on the other side of town for Board meetings. It works for us, but doing it in someone's home may work better for you. Best of luck!

Number 2 is the concern. Up until last year, the budget meeting was always held off-site (office, church, school). They held the budget meeting last year at a homeowner's home and it got very nasty and uncivil. People were called out by the board for voting against their budget proposal. Two individuals were pressured to change their vote (after a vote had been called).

I am afraid that the board wants to repeat what they did last year, by having it at a homeowner's house (who happens to be good friends with the board leadership). While I'm sure there will be fireworks regardless of where its held, letting the board hold the meeting on "home turf" so to speak, surely encourages them to act out.

Several neighbors have told me that they will not be attending this years meeting (and not even voting by proxy) because of what happened last year. I am afraid that this community is being held hostage by a select few.

Thanks All
AugustinD

12/11/2018 11:53 AM  
Posted By JohnD65 on 12/11/2018 10:43 AM
Several neighbors have told me that they will not be attending this years meeting (and not even voting by proxy) because of what happened last year. I am afraid that this community is being held hostage by a select few.

I suspect it's more likely that your HOA is being held hostage by apathy. The unhappy are mostly unwilling to voice a complaint; serve on the board; or rally to get a better board. Nationwide this is common.
GenoS
(Florida)

12/11/2018 2:33 PM  
Posted By JohnD65 on 12/11/2018 10:43 AM
Several neighbors have told me that they will not be attending this years meeting (and not even voting by proxy) because of what happened last year.

That's really petty. Changing the composition of the board is the only sure way to get anything done. It's like they're cutting off their nose to spite their face.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA Meeting Locations

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement