Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 10, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: To many cars
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DouglasA1
(Arizona)

12/06/2018 3:55 PM  
Hello HOATalk, Im trying to basically figure out how to address a homeowner who has to many cars. (see image link). The CC&Rs allow "occasional overflow parking" in to the streets and the BOD has allowed street parking as long as the driveway is full. I have an owner who has taken this and stretched the meaning of this as they all do.

In the image you can see the owners backyard and neighbors back yard, whats not in the photo is the more current view which also has roughly 5 cars in the street on both the owners side and opposing side. This person now has over 12 cars in a home made to handle maybe 5 if you include the space in front of the home.

My ask here is the following... This is in Arizona, is there any state rules or creative language we may be able to create to force this owner to remove some of the vehicles?

Image:
https://imgur.com/a/l22RtWg
TimB4
(Virginia)

12/06/2018 4:04 PM  
are the streets private or public?
DouglasA1
(Arizona)

12/06/2018 4:21 PM  
public
TimB4
(Virginia)

12/06/2018 7:33 PM  
Being public, you likely are out of luck.

The one thing you might be able to do is lobby the city/county to make the street no parking or no parking on one side to allow access for emergency vehicles.

That's all I can think of.

Tim
LetA
(Nevada)

12/06/2018 9:59 PM  
Sorry Bubby, you're SOL. Call code enforcement about the cars parked ON the property. That perhaps is a case for a code violation or the fire marshal.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/07/2018 4:39 PM  
Yeah, local code enforcement or fire marshal might have some law they can apply to this situation.

In my town all cars must be registered annually. Helps cut down on the number of crap cars people want to keep around so people dont turn their yards into junkyards.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/08/2018 10:09 AM  
Doug

12 cars is beyond a normal family amount. Something is fishy there like running a car sales business form the house. Follow the smell of the rotting fish.
JaredC
(Texas)

12/08/2018 10:18 AM  
We considered parking rules like that here in Texas. They were public streets. The HOA had no power. It is what it is.
GenoS
(Florida)

12/08/2018 2:41 PM  
It does look like a budding junkyard.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

12/08/2018 7:16 PM  
BUDDING JUNKYARD
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/08/2018 11:00 PM  
This is a city thing not an HOA thing. Although they may play a role in getting the City's attention on the issue. A representative from the HOA may can go to a City Council meeting to present the issue if necessary. Also can call the City's code department to see if this falls into a violation.

I can't say much. My neighbor has built a giant "Lego Brick" extension on the back of his house. He's a "shade tree" mechanic. It's a 2 story behemoth ugly brick extension with 3 auto bays. The good news? The bays don't face my house. Otherwise there are a good 5 - 7 cars there on a regular basis. (Ironically one of them my boss's car on occasion). Can't do a thing about it. Why? Because that side of my fence is in the County. I am in the city. (The lines between the 2 city/county are patch quilted in my neighborhood).

So sometimes there is little one can do except change your view on the issue. Unfortunately, my neighbor also did not T the extension to the middle of the house. It's on the side. So he missed his big window that goes to his bathtub... So the cars are not the worse view I get to see...

Former HOA President
CarlJ2
(Texas)

12/09/2018 5:59 PM  
Too*
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement