Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 10, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: fishy bylaw
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LanceD2
(California)

11/27/2018 2:05 PM  
i am interested in a loft. i noticed something fishy in the bylaws. can an HOA tell someone they can't move in on saturday once the deal goes through and is closed on it would be an all cash deal. it don't sound legal to me
LanceD2
(California)

11/27/2018 2:24 PM  
ok so i messed up!!! i ment to say that the bylaw states that one can't move in on a saturday or a sunday
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/27/2018 2:40 PM  
Lance

Like it or not, they can if it is in the Covenants or Bylaws or Rules & Regulations which by buying into the association, you agree to abide by.

Look at it this way. They might want people to be able to enjoy their weekends with peace and quiet and have free use of all facilities rather then the noise and inconvenience caused by someone moving in such as elevator service usage, hall blocking, stair blocking, etc.

You could request a one time exemption from the BOD.

You sound like someone that might chafe at the limitations that can be imposed. I suggest you might reconsider living under such restrictions.

FredS7
(Arizona)

11/27/2018 3:47 PM  
Restrictions on when and how moving is done are common in elevator buildings.
KerryL1
(California)

11/27/2018 4:36 PM  
In our high rise, the limit on move hours are in a our rules & Regulations. We also have a special form for moves that includes are refundable damage deposit and a cost to move per half a day because we have to hire an extra security officer to stand at the open doors to our lobbies as the moves take place.

As Fred & JohnC point out there alway are limits on how the elevators are used. We, for example, don't permit move on weekends or major holidays. Why? Because that's when residents are home the most to use the elevators. Move hours are 8-5p only. Se and many like us also don't permit "staging" in the hallways or lobbies--this mainly has to do with fire codes.

I suggest, Lance, that you read every rule very carefully before you close on this or any loft or condo building. You don't sound much like a community-living kinda guy.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/27/2018 6:54 PM  
If one does not agree with, or like, the Covenants and Restrictions; one should NOT purchase.

If one does not agree with, or like, the Bylaws; one should NOT purchase.

If one does not agree with, or like, the Rules and Regulations; one should NOT purchase.

If one does not agree with, or like, Community Ownership; one should NOT purchase.

RUN

RUN FAST

RUN FAR

and, always

CAVEAT EMPTOR
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/27/2018 11:41 PM  
Lance,

You can probably take a couple of suitcases in.
The point of such a rule is to keep someone from monopolizing the elevator moving furniture when it is most likely needed by the majority of the residents (i.e. on a weekend).
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/28/2018 5:22 AM  
Tim,

You are correct, of course.

however

The OP is ALREADY questioning HOA living BEFORE even purchasing.

As well they 'should' perform due diligence.

Probably not wise for the OP to actually buy in.

LetA
(Nevada)

11/28/2018 11:29 AM  
Posted By LanceD2 on 11/27/2018 2:05 PM
i am interested in a loft. i noticed something fishy in the bylaws. can an HOA tell someone they can't move in on saturday once the deal goes through and is closed on it would be an all cash deal. it don't sound legal to me

Yes they can, especially in Hi-Rise condos. It is quite common to have certain hours that you are allowed to move-in, and you are to use a specific elevator.
Even deliveries like furniture and appliance you need to follow the schedule that the "dock" is open.
KerryL1
(California)

11/28/2018 1:50 PM  
I'm glad added her most recent post. Our HOA and most elevator buildings require notification in advance before substantial deliveries. The reason is to have staff pad it and also use floor runners depending on the item(s) being delivered. Padding sand runners also are required for moves.

Some high rises have a delivery/move elevator, we, sadly, do not.
LanceD2
(California)

11/28/2018 10:27 PM  
no i get it now id'e want my peas and quiet on the weekends to as well as i would not want stuff blocking the elevators people in the way and free use of everything and certain hours as well i would not wan't to hear stuff banging around and doors slamming at 2 am when i have to work as well!!! not being used to elevator buildings and coming from a condo where the rules were simple keep your outside area clean and don't be a pig out there ect ect. this is just new to me is all

whats a BOD
LanceD2
(California)

11/28/2018 10:28 PM  
i ment to say peace and quiet damm keyboard ugh
LanceD2
(California)

11/28/2018 10:29 PM  
and i agree with that!!!
LanceD2
(California)

11/28/2018 10:31 PM  
ok so i read the reviews on the place and there was a murder in there so i decided not to take it and there's no covered parking. i turned it down. though i will keep reading the bylaws for the pad i am interested in and ask questions to the residents that live there and i will look at the budget to
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/28/2018 11:23 PM  
Lance,

Regardless if you purchase a condo, a town home or a detached home, you should always review the documents.

Things to look for:

Do they have a reserve study?
What percentage are the reserves funded?
Are there any pending legal actions (beside collections)?
What is the Association delinquency rate (can be an indicator of higher assessments)?
Can you live with the restrictions imposed by the covenants?
If you want to add a shed, deck, fence, etc., will that be allowed?
Do the expenses look realistic?
Is the membership in control or is it still the developer (you would prefer the members to be in control)?

There are other things to be concerned with, but this is a good start.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/29/2018 7:09 AM  
Posted By LanceD2 on 11/28/2018 10:27 PM
no i get it now id'e want my peas and quiet on the weekends to as well as i would not want stuff blocking the elevators people in the way and free use of everything and certain hours as well i would not wan't to hear stuff banging around and doors slamming at 2 am when i have to work as well!!! not being used to elevator buildings and coming from a condo where the rules were simple keep your outside area clean and don't be a pig out there ect ect. this is just new to me is all

whats a BOD

Board of Directors
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement