Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 10, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA not having the required annual meetings
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JeremyM3
(North Carolina)

11/27/2018 9:56 AM  
My HOA is such crap.

It's a small community of 49 houses, and 3 board members.

Our bylaws state: 2.3 Annual Meetings
The Board shall schedule subsequent regular annual meetings to occur during the third quarter of the Association's fiscal year, on such date and at such time and place as the Board shall determine.

Our fiscal year is the regular calendar year. It's now almost the end of the 4th quarter, and still no meeting notice has been sent out. I'm interested in learning about our 2019 budget, but there's no meeting!

What would you do in this situation?
AugustinD

11/27/2018 10:01 AM  
You can get on the board with a like-minded majority. But being a board member is a lot of work and conflict. Alternatively you could make legal demands based soundly in statute but generally requiring going to court to enforce. It is a lousy way to spend one's life. Plus the courts are only interested in egregious transgressions by HOAs. If the HOA appears to be properly maintained, and you do not want to do the work of a director, learn to keep your head low and accept the crap.

On the other hand: Nationwide and on average, I think neighborhoods would be a lot less safe were it not for the invention of the HOA.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/27/2018 10:25 AM  
Jeremy,

Demand, via registered letter, the Board announce and hold the meetings as dictated by your governing docs. Send to agent of record. Send cc copies to every Board member.

Call each of the Directors and discuss with them.

Let everyone know you are prepared to go further if they don't announce and hold the required meeting.

Know who you are going to contact next - whether it is attorney (your money or that of all of the HOA members interested in operating per the docs), or the state re requirements that aren't being met by a not for profit corporate entity, etc.

You have a lot of hard work in front of you - accept this and move out. Without the hard work, nothing is going to happen.
KerryL1
(California)

11/27/2018 11:34 AM  
George's advice sounds good. But it WILL be hard work. Are you willing to serve, Jeremy?
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/27/2018 11:45 PM  
Contrary to Georges suggestion, I would try a non-hostile approach and simply contact a board member and ask if you missed the notice for the annual meeting. Then ask if you can get a copy of next years budget.

More flies with honey.

Sending a demand letter via certified mail is great if you planning to go to court.
However, the unintended consequence is to make the Board hostile toward your concerns (vs. a being more open to a simple question).

Hope this helps,

Tim
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/28/2018 5:59 AM  
Call each of the directors and discuss with them ... wasn’t in chronological order ... sorry.
AdamD1
(Indiana)

11/28/2018 6:53 AM  
Posted By JeremyM3 on 11/27/2018 9:56 AM
My HOA is such crap.

It's a small community of 49 houses, and 3 board members.

Our bylaws state: 2.3 Annual Meetings
The Board shall schedule subsequent regular annual meetings to occur during the third quarter of the Association's fiscal year, on such date and at such time and place as the Board shall determine.

Our fiscal year is the regular calendar year. It's now almost the end of the 4th quarter, and still no meeting notice has been sent out. I'm interested in learning about our 2019 budget, but there's no meeting!

What would you do in this situation?

I was in the same boat with my Board. I sent them a letter demanding an annual meeting after years of not having one. Guess what? They all quit without choosing their successors. So we had an HOA but no Directors. Our property manager (rogue homeowner, lived in neighborhood at the time) just hand picked Directors to lead. That didn't last long once the attorney got wind of it. It was a mess. Had to call a special meeting, reach quorum (meaning me and a few others went door to door - over 400 homes in our community), and get elected to the Board. Which I did. It is a HELL OF A LOT OF WORK! I've been doing this officially for 1.5 years and my term ends December. Guess what? I'm done with it on Dec. 31.

Lot of stress. Lot of aggravation. Some ugly comments. Some very rude homeowners. Board members that don't have time or have knowledge of our governing docs. This entire volunteer experience has been like trying to corral cats. Careful what you wish for, it just may come true!
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/28/2018 8:07 PM  
Governance is work .., always has been.

It isn’t for everyone, but someone has to do it.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA not having the required annual meetings

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement