Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: hoa manager
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SueK2
(California)

11/19/2018 12:22 PM  
What does a hoa mgt company do?
PaulS28
(Florida)

11/19/2018 12:58 PM  
Whatever you want them to do to take some of the burden off of the board. You would need to find a few and see what they have to offer along with price.
KerryL1
(California)

11/19/2018 1:31 PM  
Are you on the board, Sue? Maybe start with: what would you like a professional management company (MC) with certified property managers (PMs) to do for your HOA?

What size is it? Detached homes? condos? What amenities do you have? What size is your board of directors? Are they managing your HOA now?
MarkM19
(Texas)

11/19/2018 1:34 PM  
Sue,
You are asking a question and I am sure you will get some answers. Please provide a little information so that you get the right answers.

1) Condo's or Single family homes

2) Number of units in your development

3) Dues you are currently paying

4) Issues that your HOA's are having that made you ask this question.

MarkM19
(Texas)

11/19/2018 1:35 PM  
Kerry,
You beat me to it.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

11/19/2018 1:38 PM  
If you have a management company (MC), you still have a board of directors, and they are still responsible for managing the association. The MC normally handles day-to-day activities such as collection dues and paying vendors. Depending on the contract, they might attend, or even coordinate meetings, inspect for violations and send the relevant notices, get bids for work to be done, and manage vendors/contractors. They can also help keep the board informed about the requirements of state and local laws and the changes to those laws.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/19/2018 1:44 PM  
PERFECT
SueK2
(California)

11/19/2018 5:32 PM  
We have only 25 houses and our dues are only 65 per month. I guess over the years there was not a lot done as far the clubhouse and spa were neglected. 4 years ago we elected a new president and she busted her butt trying to do things. We have a lady that harassed the president that she moved away. I don't think we have anyone who has enough background to take on the responsibility. I think that someone would not mind being president with a mgt company to guide them.
SueK2
(California)

11/19/2018 5:34 PM  
does anyone know a good mgt company in southern calif to call
MarkM19
(Texas)

11/19/2018 5:44 PM  
Sue,
With a budget of under 20k annually I doubt bringing in a MC would be worth it to either party. When I was in Ca. a few years ago now we paid between 10 to 12 per door per month for a portfolio manager that divided her time among many communities and we had 438 homes in our HOA. I know that they have several Property Managers on this site and I am sure they may have some ideas for you.
KerryL1
(California)

11/19/2018 6:27 PM  
Per our rules, Sue, we can't recommend any businesses. It's going to be tough with such a small HOA. Too bad about your former president. Do you have no board members at all now?

Who collects your HOA fees? A board treasurer?
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

11/20/2018 7:20 AM  
You may not be able to afford a manager with that budget, so you'd have to consider whether owners would be willing to take a dues increase.

Look for small management companies - the national ones are going to e $1000/mo minimum. But, a small locally owned company, maybe owner operated, might be able to fit into your budget.
MarkM19
(Texas)

11/20/2018 7:39 AM  
Sue,
As Barbara stated it is going to be hard to sell to get a $40 per month increase or nearly 40% for a property manager. This is a major problem for very small associations IMO. You have very few options and probably very few volunteers. I am really surprised that the builder even put in a Club house and Spa. It sounds like you need a board member that is willing to manage your association as a volunteer. That is a tuff ask.
RichardP13
(California)

11/20/2018 11:21 AM  
Posted By SueK2 on 11/19/2018 5:34 PM
does anyone know a good mgt company in southern calif to call

If you want to email me at [email protected], I can give you some ideas that might help your HOA.

Been there, Done that
HoggatiD
(California)

11/20/2018 9:11 PM  
http://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/55/forumid/1/postid/255937/view/topic/Default.aspx
HoggatiD
(California)

11/20/2018 9:12 PM  
[url=http://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/55/forumid/1/postid/255937/view/topic/Default.aspx]http://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/55/forumid/1/postid/255937/view/topic/Default.aspx[/url]

http://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/55/forumid/1/postid/255937/view/topic/Default.aspx
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement