Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, May 23, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Notice of a meeting
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SueK2
(California)

11/18/2018 8:59 AM  
at the monthly meeting it was a big fight. they had a meeting after that but did not inform anyone of the meeting. Can they do that? I plan to write a letter asking for the minutes.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/18/2018 9:24 AM  
Well you can ask for the minutes but don't expect them right away. They usually have to be ratified at the next meeting.

Former HOA President
NigelB
(Texas)

11/18/2018 9:36 AM  
Posted By SueK2 on 11/18/2018 8:59 AM
at the monthly meeting it was a big fight. they had a meeting after that but did not inform anyone of the meeting. Can they do that? I plan to write a letter asking for the minutes.

Probably not - but it is entirely dependent on the statutes of the State the HOA is in. In Texas there has to be at least a 72 hour notification requirement
KerryL1
(California)

11/18/2018 9:43 AM  
Is "they" the board, Sue? Do you know the topic(s) of this sudden meeting?

In CA (maybe not in AL) they must produce draft minutes of any open meeting 30 days after the meeting. Owners don't get to review executive session minutes.

No, in CA they can't have another open meeting without 4 days notice for an open board mtg., or 2 days notice for executive session.

The president or two directors (usually) can, however, call an emergency meeting, but it has to be for a very serious unexpected matter.

Do you have a property manager you can ask?
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/18/2018 9:59 AM  
Perhaps, because of a 'public disruption', they merely adjourned the meeting into a private setting.

? technically improper ?

yes

? alternatives ?

sergeant at arms (? armed or unarmed ?)

private security officer

LE for hire

RECEIVERSHIP

or

(my way)

bang the gavel and recess 10 minutes

return, clear the 'hall' of any remaining 'disrupters', calling LE with a trespass complaint (they have no further 'right' to attend after being ordered to leave)

adjourn to a later date

rent outside hall and reconvene a properly noticed meeting

raise assessments to cover the new need to hire a hall

do WHATEVER it takes to maintain order

RECEIVERSHIP if order can not be established
SueK2
(California)

11/18/2018 11:09 AM  
I am in California. I think we should get a manager. We sure don't want lawyers involved. I was on the board 2 1\2 years ago but I had a stroke and it took 6 months to walk again. One neighbor said she caused it but, that is funny because I had really high blood pressure.
4 years ago I moved here and the first meeting I went to, they voted the board out. The woman who was treasurer had a big chip on her shoulder. every meeting she would come and complain about everything and she wrote 3 page letters insulting all of us who were on the board. She would complain about things that happened years ago. She did her bookkeeping with a pencil and paper. That's fine but she argued about quickbooks. She wrote a long letter almost every month for years. The president at that time finally had enough and moved. So when it came time to elect a new president the witch was the only one who was running. So she was the new president. We live in a 55+ community and several people passed away and new people moved in. One guy she put on the board had a key to the stuff that controls our spa. We asked at the last meeting if the spa could be put on the timer so we didn't have to call to get it heated up. They asked her what if she or this other guy were not at home. She said then you just can't go. She changed the lock on the back gate and will not give anyone the key. Then she put a lock on the room that has the tables. We are to call her if we want in. She is a nut case. I have trouble explaining things but, Thanks for letting me vent!

Could we hire a manager if we started a petition and had enough signatures. Our hoa only has 25 houses.
GenoS
(Florida)

11/18/2018 12:07 PM  
Posted By SueK2 on 11/18/2018 11:09 AM
So when it came time to elect a new president the witch was the only one who was running. So she was the new president.

I think I see your problem. Or at least a big part of it.
KerryL1
(California)

11/18/2018 12:11 PM  
Good point, Royal. Maybe the meeting was simply adjourned to another location because the attendees to out of hand. this is one way to handle such disruption. Still, draft minutes of it must be available to owners 30 days after that adjourned meeting.

The Board doesn't have to hire a property mgr. Sounds like a bad situation, SueK.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Notice of a meeting

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement