Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 10, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Architectural Denial Letter
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BarbaraB10
(California)

11/18/2018 6:24 AM  
I am the chairperson of my HOA's architectural committee.

Currently, an architectural request was denied for fiberglass panels, anchored to wood posts behind an existing block wall which also exceeds the height of the wall. The existing wall already has the permitted wrought iron height extension of approximately 15 inches. The home is on a corner lot and the fiberglass is viewable on the street side of the lot which is next to a busy perimeter street of the HOA. The hodgepodge is exactly what the CCRs intend to avoid. The CCRs also support the denial. Owner had a bike stolen from the yard, valued at $50 and a police report filed. Storage of items in the yard is not allowed -it's considered nuisance per CCRs. In my proposed letter, 2 suggestions were given - store elsewhere (garage or house) and/or erect a shed.

The HOA rules and CCRs do not address denials (provide a reason for denial) and they do not address an appeal process; they are silent. This does not seem fair and or reasonable to me. Denial and appeals are addressed in Davis-Stirling Act which I believe take precedence when the governing documents are silent. I am being urged to send denial without an explanation. I am also urged not to mention the opportunity for appeal. In good conscience I can't do that and believe a simple but detailed letter is in order. I need to send the denial letter this week so your input is important.

Thanks in advance

From the Davis-Stirling Act:
§4765. Architectural Review Procedures
(a) This section applies if the governing documents require association approval before a member may make a physical change to the member’s separate interest or to the common area. In reviewing and approving or disapproving a proposed change, the association shall satisfy the following requirements:
(1) The association shall provide a fair, reasonable, and expeditious procedure for making its decision. The procedure shall be included in the association’s governing documents. The procedure shall provide for prompt deadlines. The procedure shall state the maximum time for response to an application or a request for reconsideration by the board.
(2) A decision on a proposed change shall be made in good faith and may not be unreasonable, arbitrary, or capricious.
(3) Notwithstanding a contrary provision of the governing documents, a decision on a proposed change may not violate any governing provision of law, including, but not limited to, the Fair Employment and Housing Act (Part 2.8 (commencing with Section 12900) of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government Code), or a building code or other applicable law governing land use or public safety.
(4) A decision on a proposed change shall be in writing. If a proposed change is disapproved, the written decision shall include both an explanation of why the proposed change is disapproved and a description of the procedure for reconsideration of the decision by the board.
(5) If a proposed change is disapproved, the applicant is entitled to reconsideration by the board, at an open meeting of the board. This paragraph does not require reconsideration of a decision that is made by the board or a body that has the same membership as the board, at a meeting that satisfies the requirements of Article 2 (commencing with Section 4900) of Chapter 6. Reconsideration by the board does not constitute dispute resolution within the meaning of Section 5905.
(b) Nothing in this section authorizes a physical change to the common area in a manner that is inconsistent with an association’s governing documents, unless the change is required by law.
(c) An association shall annually provide its members with notice of any requirements for association approval of physical changes to property. The notice shall describe the types of changes that require association approval and shall include a copy of the procedure used to review and approve or disapprove a proposed change. 󞪌 - Based on former §1378]
SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/18/2018 6:46 AM  
This is more of a Kerry question since she's in California, but that said, I agree with you that the homeowner should receive an explanation and there should be an appeals process. Not everything in HOA land will be addressed in the CCRs and it's not always necessary - the board should have some leeway to enact additional rules as long as they don't contradict the documents.

In this case, the Act applies if the documents require association approval for exterior changes, so it's weird that your community doesn't have a process. Has anyone said why there isn't one or why they object to it? This would be a great issue for the committee to discuss and make recommendations to the board. Why not discuss it among the committee and make a recommendation to the board that a letter is drafted to at least cite the part of the CCRs that prohibit whatever this homeowner wants to do? The committee can also suggest that the board consider enacting an appeals process - to keep things fair, I would suggest that either the board handle it or come up with some sort of appeal committee that could hear the case. Or see if there's some sort of alternative dispute resolution program you might use.
SueW6
(Michigan)

11/18/2018 6:51 AM  
Did the applicant come before the Committee for a hearing with his application?

If so, there would be minutes of the meeting and an explanation of the denial, referenced in the CCRs in the minutes, since that's what the committee used to deny the application.

Enough said.

HOWEVER - if this was done all thru mail, then a written denial with explanation would be expected.

RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/18/2018 6:55 AM  
..... I agree with you that .....

Matters not that you 'agree'.

The OP's question was answered by the very document (Davis-Sterling Act) that the OP actually quoted.

Evidently the OP did not, or could not, read and comprehend the actual LAW.

{begin rant}

Typical volunteer incompetence and nonfeasance.

This is a perfect example of why some volunteers sometimes create more havoc than the money they "save".

The governing documents specify their duties.

The law governs their actions.

They do not, obviously, read or understand either.

{end rant}
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/18/2018 6:56 AM  
from the OP:

..... (4) A decision on a proposed change shall be in writing. If a proposed change is disapproved, the written decision shall include both an explanation of why the proposed change is disapproved and a description of the procedure for reconsideration of the decision by the board.
(5) If a proposed change is disapproved, the applicant is entitled to reconsideration by the board, at an open meeting of the board. .....
SueW6
(Michigan)

11/18/2018 6:59 AM  
I think the issue from the OP was how to notify the applicant and whether the applicant deserved a letter of detail and information on the appeal process.

RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/18/2018 7:37 AM  
The applicant does not "deserve" a letter of detail (or denial).

The Committee is REQUIRED to provide same.

PLEASE, no more 'thinking' and much more reading and compliance.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/18/2018 7:39 AM  
INCLUDED WITH THE OP's ORIGINAL POST:

Posted By RoyalP on 11/18/2018 6:56 AM
from the OP:

..... (4) A decision on a proposed change shall be in writing. If a proposed change is disapproved, the written decision shall include both an explanation of why the proposed change is disapproved and a description of the procedure for reconsideration of the decision by the board.
(5) If a proposed change is disapproved, the applicant is entitled to reconsideration by the board, at an open meeting of the board
. .....

SHEEZ
KerryL1
(California)

11/18/2018 9:03 AM  
You're right RoyP, and it's a good to support the OP in that way. But there's no need to be a jackass. Note, RoyP, the Act is Davis-Stirling, please read more carefully. Will the unhelpful braying continue today?

Yes, Barbara, your HOA must follow the law: "(4) A decision on a proposed change shall be in writing. If a proposed change is disapproved, the written decision shall include both an explanation of why the proposed change is disapproved and a description of the procedure for reconsideration of the decision by the board.
(5) If a proposed change is disapproved, the applicant is entitled to reconsideration by the board, at an open meeting of the board."

Our HOA just sent out its budget for '19 and we have a clear summary of our procedures in the package.

Inform whomever is "urging" you to NOT send an explanation of their proposed change that your Committee or the Board must send it to the Owner. Do you have a property manager? Often that person would do the mailing. Btw, who IS trying to bully you?

(At our HOA and I don't think most in CA come before the committee unless for an appeal. We've never had an appeal (high rise), though. Richard will know more)

RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/18/2018 9:49 AM  
Kerry,

I am not familiar with, nor do I care about, the 'Act' pertaining to CA.

This what the OP posted (copy and paste + bold / underline):

From the Davis-Stirling Act:
§4765. Architectural Review Procedures
(a) This section applies if the governing documents require association approval before a member may make a physical change to the member’s separate interest or to the common area. In reviewing and approving or disapproving a proposed change, the association shall satisfy the following requirements:
(1) The association shall provide a fair, reasonable, and expeditious procedure for making its decision. The procedure shall be included in the association’s governing documents. The procedure shall provide for prompt deadlines. The procedure shall state the maximum time for response to an application or a request for reconsideration by the board.
(2) A decision on a proposed change shall be made in good faith and may not be unreasonable, arbitrary, or capricious.
(3) Notwithstanding a contrary provision of the governing documents, a decision on a proposed change may not violate any governing provision of law, including, but not limited to, the Fair Employment and Housing Act (Part 2.8 (commencing with Section 12900) of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government Code), or a building code or other applicable law governing land use or public safety.
(4) A decision on a proposed change shall be in writing. If a proposed change is disapproved, the written decision shall include both an explanation of why the proposed change is disapproved and a description of the procedure for reconsideration of the decision by the board.
(5) If a proposed change is disapproved, the applicant is entitled to reconsideration by the board, at an open meeting of the board. This paragraph does not require reconsideration of a decision that is made by the board or a body that has the same membership as the board, at a meeting that satisfies the requirements of Article 2 (commencing with Section 4900) of Chapter 6. Reconsideration by the board does not constitute dispute resolution within the meaning of Section 5905.

(b) Nothing in this section authorizes a physical change to the common area in a manner that is inconsistent with an association’s governing documents, unless the change is required by law.
(c) An association shall annually provide its members with notice of any requirements for association approval of physical changes to property. The notice shall describe the types of changes that require association approval and shall include a copy of the procedure used to review and approve or disapprove a proposed change. 󞪌 - Based on former §1378]

HEEE - HAW
BarbaraB10
(California)

11/19/2018 6:23 AM  
Thank you for your replies.

The applicant did not come before the committee - only submitted a written request. Everything is handled thru mail or personal delivery to/from the business office.

I reviewed the governing documents, When I did not find the answer, I reviewed the civil code (Davis-Stirling Act). I then drafted the letter before I posted and should have indicated in my original post that the letter followed 4 & 5 of the code. To answer one of the questions - of course the applicant "deserves" a letter of determination. Being entitled to a written response regarding denial or appeal is the law, the very heart of the law, IMHO.

I can't send a non-HOA document without the president's approval. There is no manager or other guidance except for the attorney - and the board for sure will not contact counsel, even if their hair is on fire.

I will call an emergency meeting of the committee and will consider sending the letter based on committee consensus.
Given the circumstances, this seems to be my one and only realistic option.

If there is another option short of resignation, please let me know.

KerryL1
(California)

11/19/2018 10:15 AM  
Note the spelling of Davis-Stirling, RoyP. Since you do correct the spelling of others at times, I thought you'd want to spell this one correctly whether or not you care about its content.

Tough one, Barbara. Does your charter say the prez must approve communication with owners about ARC topics? Or some other HOA doc.? Does you HOA send out ARC requirement summaries annually as also required by Davis-stirling?

Anyway, I can't think of a better choice than what you decided. Let the applicant know their rights in writing per CA statute.

RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/19/2018 11:38 AM  
I stand corrected re: my typo "Sterling, S/B Stirling".

I
FredS7
(Arizona)

11/21/2018 1:20 PM  
> In my proposed letter, 2 suggestions were given - store elsewhere (garage or house) and/or erect a shed.

You should not suggest alternatives. You should state that the application is rejected and why. (Only).

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Architectural Denial Letter

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement