Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, December 10, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: WE DID IT! good news!!
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LaskaS
(Texas)

11/17/2018 8:22 PM  
HI,.. I wanted to update those people that gave me input and advice along the way.

The volunteer group got all the petitions signed. And we prevented the old board from skewing the proxies in their favor.

The special meeting didn't quite meet quorum.. we had 48.6 percent of owners present by proxy or in person,,however..

The the volunteers have stopped put a stop to all of the projects that were clearly not the responsibility of the HOA. Per our documents.

Two other board members resigned because the writing was on the wall, and they had not done a single thing to prevent the illegal actions of the previous board president.

so basically,, there were only 6 board members left.. 3 that are part of the volunteer group (they were appointed a month and a half ago. to fill vacancies that previously the president refused to fill, because the people that were willing to serve were all opposed to what has been going on.

we had duly called board meetings, with the proper notice and a motion was made to appoint another volunteer. A member of the new group on the board knew that they needed one more owner who the old corrupt board would not object to.

So a 7th person was nominated and everyone agreed to appoint her.

At that point. the 3 new board members.. didn't push anything, and let it rest. A week later at the next meeting, we had all our ducks in a row. one of the new board members brought up how we needed to fill the spots and the spots needed to be filled by owners who had actually been involved and were willing to work. (me)... there were only 6 board members at the meeting. 4 pro change,, 2 old board inept members. Well.. motion to appoint me to a vacant spot was made, the motion was seconded by another of the pro change board members.. and then a vote was taken.. 4 to appoint me,, 2 against....(guess which 2 didn't want me on the board)lol

ok.. so anyway,, we now have 5 pro change,, 3 old (tenure) inept board members. 2 of them rarely if ever do any participating, they were just staying on the board, to try and prevent me and other volunteers from getting positions..

in one and a half months. The pro change volunteers and 3 new pro change board members. Have made more progress and started to right the wrongs.. We are fully transparent and we publish the meeting minutes within days of any meetings.

(the previous inept board, didn't even keep minutes and refused to respond to owners who were trying to find out what was going on.. )

:-)
JenniferG11
(Texas)

11/17/2018 8:48 PM  
I was just wondering yesterday when we'd get an update. Good job, friend.
SueW6
(Michigan)

11/18/2018 6:56 AM  
Good job - now it's hopeful that the slate is wiped clean and all board members work together for the good of the HOA - no old or new, pro or con labels to confine them.

The issues and list of things to do will change. Everyone deserves to be on whatever "side" they want - as long as it's for the good of the HOA.

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/18/2018 1:00 PM  
Laska,

Congrats on seeing it through ...

Quick question ... how do you publish board meeting minutes in a few days? Don’t minutes require approval by the board at the next meeting? Perhaps Texas allows voting by email, or does the board get together after a few days to approve?
JoyceR2
(Virginia)

11/18/2018 7:25 PM  
Good work!
LaskaS
(Texas)

11/19/2018 3:57 AM  
george.. the minutes can be approved by unanimous email consent.... also.. we have been having weekly meetings..
so say saturday is the meeting. by monday or tuesday preliminary minutes will be distributed to the board for any comments or corrections.. if everyone approves. then we publish them.. if not everyone approves. or someone doesn't respond.. we wait til the following saturday meeting.. (duly called, with a quorum present) and vote to approve the minutes.

the previous board, literally, did not have minutes for any of their board meetings... they refused to admit they never kept minutes. They ended up publishing one or two sets of minutes. that were from Homeowner meetings.. not board meetings.. and basically they were entirely inappropriate and read like a bad soap opera..
JenniferG11
(Texas)

11/19/2018 4:16 AM  
Posted By LaskaS on 11/19/2018 3:57 AM
george.. the minutes can be approved by unanimous email consent.... also.. we have been having weekly meetings..
so say saturday is the meeting. by monday or tuesday preliminary minutes will be distributed to the board for any comments or corrections.. if everyone approves. then we publish them.. if not everyone approves. or someone doesn't respond.. we wait til the following saturday meeting.. (duly called, with a quorum present) and vote to approve the minutes.

the previous board, literally, did not have minutes for any of their board meetings... they refused to admit they never kept minutes. They ended up publishing one or two sets of minutes. that were from Homeowner meetings.. not board meetings.. and basically they were entirely inappropriate and read like a bad soap opera..

Sorry to LOL,but since that is over maybe it's OK to. I think every HOA is a bad soap opera to one degree or another. There needs to be more regulation in Texas. I am arguing for meetings to be open per the law, but unless I want to sue, I am whistling in the wind. Which is pretty crazy.

LaskaS
(Texas)

11/19/2018 4:59 AM  
EXACTLY!.. Its disgusting the there is an entire industry that basically leeches off of inept, disinterested hoa boards.. Some Management companies are literally milking money from unknowing hoa's.

we have found that we were signed up with a telephone company that was charging per minute for local calls.. they were billing for obsolete data lines that have not been used in years... we were paying 800 dollars a month.. and now after canceling with them,, we are getting att. service plus internet,, for 129 a month!...

when i started digging, turns out the telecom company was recommended by the management company owner.. and lo and behold. the account rep who handles all houston accounts.. used to be an employee of the management company,,,, !!!... obviously,, some kickback scheme has been going on for years.. .. .

the web hosting company is a company recommended by our managment company,, well guess what,, I did a little research... We are being charged 250 a month for a static website.. written in HTML.. with no security.. i've found a hosting company that will offer everything this current company is offering, plus free 24 7 live customer service, plus secure https .... wait for it....... the cost for 2 years.. is 121! total.. one year is 77!... total!..
LaskaS
(Texas)

11/19/2018 5:02 AM  
Jennifer,, meetings are open!... are you telling me your board is trying to prevent owners from attending?!

Texas has the open meetings act.. and every board or homeowner meeting is open to membership,, only the executive session portion of a meeting can be private,, and every meeting must start with an open meeting.. the board can only recess to executive session to discuss very specific items(they are written in the texas law regarding non profit corp)..

Again,, I'm sick and tired of inept, bad board doing everything possible to get around the actual laws in place..

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/19/2018 6:15 AM  
Laska,

Thanks ... looks like it’s ok in Texas for the Board to vote via email ...wish Florida allowed as we could also get the minutes out within a day or two.
JenniferG11
(Texas)

11/19/2018 8:18 AM  
Posted By LaskaS on 11/19/2018 5:02 AM
Jennifer,, meetings are open!... are you telling me your board is trying to prevent owners from attending?!

Indeed I am. First I was told that the section of the Texas CONDOMINIUM Act I was quoting was for single family homes and didn't apply. (? LOL).

I didn't get an answer to my reply elaborating on how I am citing the law for condos. I know the reason. She (pm)told me months ago. They don't want to. That's it. That is all. They don't want to.

I let it go for a while because she said she was getting them to understand they have to. I had friends on a committee telling them they had to. At least there was a committee and two people got to attend, and we finally have minutes, but now the committee is over and I want the open meetings back.

It isn't going to happen. Waste of time. They. don't. want. to.

Interesting how people want transparency but something happens to them when they get on the board. Suddenly it's too much trouble. Or they get arrogant. Or both, I don't know. But it happens over and over.

TimB4
(Virginia)

11/19/2018 2:29 PM  
Excellent!
KerryL1
(California)

11/19/2018 4:42 PM  
Good work, Laska. Sue is right; if your board all pulls together for what's best for your community, you'll do fine.
LaskaS
(Texas)

11/23/2018 10:19 PM  
I was just reading over my summary,, I forgot to include the most important item..

at the special meeting.. when the board members up for recall are allowed to speak... the president went up there. and ugggg.. it was disgusting.. but she ranted and claimed she worked so hard. blah blah,, but the good news is she resigned!

good riddance!
GenoS
(Florida)

11/24/2018 2:39 PM  
Nice job, LaskaS. In my limited experience, the ones who pat themselves on the back the most are usually the worst.
AmyJ3
(Florida)

11/26/2018 5:18 AM  
Posted By LaskaS on 11/19/2018 4:59 AM
EXACTLY!.. Its disgusting the there is an entire industry that basically leeches off of inept, disinterested hoa boards.. Some Management companies are literally milking money from unknowing hoa's.

we have found that we were signed up with a telephone company that was charging per minute for local calls.. they were billing for obsolete data lines that have not been used in years... we were paying 800 dollars a month.. and now after canceling with them,, we are getting att. service plus internet,, for 129 a month!...

when i started digging, turns out the telecom company was recommended by the management company owner.. and lo and behold. the account rep who handles all houston accounts.. used to be an employee of the management company,,,, !!!... obviously,, some kickback scheme has been going on for years.. .. .

the web hosting company is a company recommended by our managment company,, well guess what,, I did a little research... We are being charged 250 a month for a static website.. written in HTML.. with no security.. i've found a hosting company that will offer everything this current company is offering, plus free 24 7 live customer service, plus secure https .... wait for it....... the cost for 2 years.. is 121! total.. one year is 77!... total!..

Few people realize that management companies are not government employees and kickback to them are not illegal, just unethical, and unethical only if not disclosed. Management companies routinely charge commissions or finders fee for all sorts of services they contract for on behalf of the HOA under the premise that they are giving the HOA economy of scale. The again who really thinks that paying a management company $12-15 can sustain its high overhead. They have to nickel and dime every way they can.
AmyJ3
(Florida)

11/26/2018 5:19 AM  
I meant $12-15/door/mo
AmyJ3
(Florida)

11/26/2018 5:28 AM  
Posted By JenniferG11 on 11/19/2018 8:18 AM
Posted By LaskaS on 11/19/2018 5:02 AM

Interesting how people want transparency but something happens to them when they get on the board. Suddenly it's too much trouble. Or they get arrogant. Or both, I don't know. But it happens over and over.

This is why in FL by statute all board meetings have to completely open to all owners. None of that executive session stuff that so many states allow, so the boards keep it light and in meaningless in open session and do all their real discussions behind closed doors.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > WE DID IT! good news!!

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement