Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, May 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: When Can HOA be Formed?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TreeN

11/09/2018 3:08 PM  
I have lived in my neighborhood for 11 years without an HOA. When I first bought the house in 2005, I was told that there could be an HOA,and there were HOA rules but since it was a new development, the HOA would be developed later when more homes were built. In 2016, one person in the neighborhood decided to initiate the start of the HOA. We were billed an initiation and all the back dues from when we purchased the home. This is located in PA.

1. Is it legal to be billed dues for when there was no HOA?
2. Can the HOA be formed and all homeowners required to join after all these years?
2. I found out the HOA was in a lawsuit. Are the legally required to disclose this information to the homeowners when money from the reserve was used to cover the cost of the suit?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/09/2018 6:47 PM  
A HOA is like an "Exclusive club" of which ONLY homeowner's are members. It's not a "They or Them" but "You and your neighbors". So if your neighbors want to form a HOA to enforce the covenants/rules then you do so by those rules. A HOA is ONLY funded by it's members for it's members. So if your HOA was sued, then you and the other members had to pay for it.

Former HOA President
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

11/09/2018 7:02 PM  
....and there were HOA rules but since it was a new development, the HOA would be developed later when more homes were built. In 2016, one person in the neighborhood decided to initiate the start of the HOA. We were billed an initiation and all the back dues from when we purchased the home.

Yep, sounds like you have deed restrictions, CCR, etc which means HOA. There is no "joining" By having the deed restrictions, you are a member of the HOA simply by purchasing the home. As far as the lawsuit? Who knows..... complicated.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

11/09/2018 7:04 PM  
If you didnt know an HOA could be formed and you would owe dues, you didnt understand what you were buying. It was on your deed. Doesnt matter if you didnt understand it. Thats what lawyers are for.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/10/2018 4:36 AM  
I maybe showing my ignorance, but isn't it possible to have deed restrictions without having and HOA?
DouglasK1
(Florida)

11/10/2018 6:15 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 11/10/2018 4:36 AM
I maybe showing my ignorance, but isn't it possible to have deed restrictions without having and HOA?

Yes, especially in older communities.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
GenoS
(Florida)

11/10/2018 1:45 PM  

It definitely is. That's why the legislature passed the MRTA statute years ago. It wasn't targeted specifically at HOA deed restrictions, it was meant to extinguish many old deed restrictions, many of which dated back to the Spanish Land Grants. Those crusty old deed restrictions probably had nothing about any homeowners associations in them.

Having an HOA implies deed restrictions but deed restrictions alone don't necessarily imply an HOA.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

11/10/2018 7:10 PM  

Depends on what your deed restrictions say.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/10/2018 7:17 PM  
OP is long gone.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > When Can HOA be Formed?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement