Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 15, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Candidate to rent marquee in development
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PaulS28
(Florida)

11/08/2018 3:36 PM  
We are a few days away from our HOA election in our development. We have a big marquee that sits at one of our main entrances/exit and we allow people to rent it for messages like "Happy Birthday Joey." As long as it is a clean message you can rent it by the day. So, a candidate that is running for the board wanted to rent it to post a message to vote for him. It was all set to go but then the management company said that the HOA lawyer said NO that it could cause the election to not take place. Something about current board members contesting it because of the marquee message. Included in the message was who paid for it. So as it would not seem that the community was supporting him.

Is this true that a homeowner that pays to put a message can cause the election to not take place? Any case law on this?? Seems fishy to me. BTW, we have a very HOT election happening like many others are I bet.
KerryL1
(California)

11/08/2018 4:54 PM  
In CA, candidates must have equal access to common area items. If other candidates could rent the marquee too, I guess it would be OK in CA unless this guy hoards it and no one else can use it.

The question is what about laws in FL or in your own governing documents, Paul??? That the marquee could cancel an election seems farfetched, but I'd want to see the attorney's opinion in writing.

Are you on the Board, Paul? Are you a candidate?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/08/2018 5:43 PM  
I think it's more of a case of "Why does Jane Doe get to rent the Marquee?" and I don't? That's unfair... Whaaaay whahhhhh…. So people may just decide to get hot under the collar and complain. Something the MC doesn't want involved in. So they are just nipping it in the bud.

However, typically it should be available to all candidates equally. It's just this candidate thought of it first...

Former HOA President
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/08/2018 5:51 PM  
Too much smell of conflict of interest.
KerryL1
(California)

11/08/2018 6:46 PM  
What IS the conflict of interest, George?
PaulS28
(Florida)

11/09/2018 4:12 AM  
Everyone has access to rent the marquee. One candidate was smart enough to want to use it to get votes for them. I see nothing in the by-laws nor in any statue in the state of FL that says candidates are prevented from doing something like this. I see this as nothing but a play by the HOA lawyer protecting those on the current board.
PaulS28
(Florida)

11/09/2018 4:14 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 11/08/2018 5:51 PM
Too much smell of conflict of interest.

The sign read under the message, "paid for by" and the name of the person who paid for it. It was done so that people would not suspect any endorsement by the current board which when you think of it, why would the current board endorse a new candidate that is running against them.
MarkM19
(Texas)

11/09/2018 6:57 AM  
I don't see anything wrong as long as the sign has unrented days available for every other candidate to rent if they wish to follow this persons lead. Equal time is the key thing. I am sure not all candidates would put up the money to rent it and that would be their choice.
KerryL1
(California)

11/09/2018 8:16 AM  
I agree that it's OK if all candidates have equal use of it. In CA, the HOA may not charge candidates rents, fr example, if they want to use the Lounge for a campaign event.

FL is owner friendly so I'd think they have some statutes about use of common areas by candidates for the board.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/09/2018 11:18 AM  
Is this about being “smart” or about being able to outspend the other candidates ...?

I’m VERY equal opportunity in this regard.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/09/2018 1:40 PM  
I see no reason not to let one use the marquee.
GenoS
(Florida)

11/09/2018 6:59 PM  
A very odd arrangement. Just having a marquee at all seems strange. Is this an FS 720 HOA or is it a mobile home park? Wouldn't income from selling advertising space be taxable?

A campaign ad might come across as a board-authorized endorsement. If it's made clear that that's not the case then... I don't know... maybe. If the board exercises judgment of "cleanliness" then the board cleary controls what's allowed and what's not. "Vote for me!" I'd argue that's a board endorsement.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/10/2018 4:40 AM  
I'm still thinking about this ...

I think the point is less legal and more perception - while we would all probably agree renting the sign is legal (setting aside taxability of the income), it seems to me this is just a bit un-neighborly.

I would support a more reasonable usage - i.e. each candidate can use the sign for x 24 hour period of time to be lottery determined, with whatever the want to say (give restrictions on number of words, letters, that will fit the sign). This eliminates preferential treatment concerns and still allows usage.

Just a thought.
PaulS28
(Florida)

11/12/2018 5:37 AM  
Thanks for the replies. In discussing this issue with a lawyer friend, she pointed out that what was attempted was no different then the candidate information that was printed and mailed to all residents along with their ballot. Also, a resident that has their paid business ad on the website that changed the ad for the election to say they supported certain people is no different than the material mailed to all homeowners. This was merely an attempt to squelch someone from supporting certain candidates over others. There was nothing illegal or otherwise about it.

Anyway, our election is tonight and after that, the years worth of ugliness will be replaced with new board members, hopefully.
SueW6
(Michigan)

11/12/2018 2:51 PM  
Paul
Make sure there are guidelines about what kind of messages can be posted on this board, since you are sure to run up against this again.

Maybe only greetings, birthdays, anniversary, greetings, wedding, etc., and management announcements are the only ones that could access this coveted message board.

It's a slippery slope, from what I see, when message boards (paid with the funds by all) are used for political campaigns.

Be ahead of this issue and get guidelines.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Candidate to rent marquee in development

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement