Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 15, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Builder transferred land to “neighborhood”
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JoyS1
(Kentucky)

11/07/2018 7:58 PM  
I live in a neighborhood that was built in 3 phases. I am in phase 1 that was built 13 years ago before the builder owned the land for phase 2 & 3. We had a HOA that dissolved several years ago for the phase 1 neighborhood. We recently learned we have been included in a new HOA that include all 3 phases. We also learned the builder deeded “wetland” to the neighborhood without notifying the residents. There is an EPA issue caused by the builder in regards to these wetlands that we are told are now the responsibility of the residents or the HOA if it becomes active. Do we have any legal recourse against the builder? Can the original HOA be reactivate to avoid being forced into this new HOA?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/07/2018 11:22 PM  
VERY interesting questions ...

Lots of research into your deeds, CCRs, Bylaws needed.

You should review all the county documents that have been recorded ...

THEN, after getting smart on what happened, prepare a package of info for the other residents, get their contribution for an attorney, and get going.

In your research, you may find there isn’t a big issue ...

We need a lot more info about your HOA and the build out process and numbers.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

11/08/2018 5:49 AM  
I dont know any detail about your situation, but it seems like the EPA could go after the builder who caused the damage regardless of who currently owns it. They could also go after the current owner regardless if its an "active" HOA or not.

If the builder is still in charge, meaning he is the declaration, you have little to no recourse. He can do as he pleases. There is no "original" HOA. Its simply the builder.
SueW6
(Michigan)

11/08/2018 5:56 AM  
A "dissolved HOA would have to have been voted on by the members of the HOA and the IRS and state corporation notifying them or a letter from the State that they have dropped you as a corporation operating in your state.

Do you have all this paperwork in past minutes?
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

11/08/2018 8:37 AM  
But if dissolved, the EPA could name each individual homeowner in the lawsuit instead of the "HOA". Makes no difference to them.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/08/2018 10:58 AM  
Yep .... if the 'corporate shield' were dissolved then Y'ALL, as personal owners, are PERSONALLY liable.

Thank the Creator y'all are now, apparently, under the corporate shield.

This thread shows the importance of ANY HOA being actually incorporated.

A corporation may lose corporate assets w/o the members losing personal assets.

An Unincorporated association leaves its members subject to PERSONAL liability.

If in doubt, check with your attorney.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/08/2018 12:39 PM  
So, RP, are the same person as all the other pita nonsensical names?
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/08/2018 2:28 PM  
yes, but I'm feeling much better now

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/08/2018 5:53 PM  
I am not ... I have asked the website to bar you from changing names.

You are engaging in a form of fraud.
KerryL1
(California)

11/08/2018 6:49 PM  
Know what, George? I don't think jumping all over someone helps the OP at all. RoyP's replies make sense and are civil....so far.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/09/2018 11:23 AM  
Is he the same guy that has been doing the childish yapping with several other names?

If so, he needs to be gone ... the evolution from useful information presented in a helpful manner into smart childish nonsense was previously was short.

If this is a different person - sorry.

If this person changes his name, and then resets to another name .... what is the point?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/09/2018 11:39 AM  
Sorry - wanted to make sure this made sense.

I am not clear on policies for this site - except the one that notes the responses should be helpful.

If there is a site user who changes their name several times to avoid being castigated, then that person should NOT be on the site - AT ALL.

I frankly can't be certain from the interchange, whether or not this is the same person having fun, but it is irritating enough to me that I consider it will put off those needing help.

I simply don't have time for childishness regarding this very adult activity.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

11/09/2018 12:21 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 11/08/2018 5:53 PM
I am not ... I have asked the website to bar you from changing names.

You are engaging in a form of fraud.

RP has been around here longer than you or I have and adds a bit of personality to the forum, why can't you just let him be? If the forum were going to boot somebody, I'd vote for one whose wildly mis-informed and incorrect posts do a lot more to confuse newbies here.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/09/2018 12:51 PM  
Folks who need help and come to this site are not interested in personality - especially if the author demeans them.
KerryL1
(California)

11/09/2018 12:55 PM  
I'm with Douglas. Misinformation bothers me way more than RoyP. Some here will remember longtime posters Jon from NY and Larry from AZ (RIP). They both were rude from time to time but I felt their experience & wisdom outweighed their occasional nastiness.

I and others sometimes briefly chastised them, but didn't go on & on about it on several threads. Sheesh!
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/09/2018 2:51 PM  
OK - so, there is partial consensus that we are not going to follow the forum rules?

I really don’t like wasting time doing this, but I really, really don’t like bullying by painintheass people.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/09/2018 7:57 PM  
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/10/2018 4:34 AM  
And, again, the childishness.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/10/2018 5:29 AM  
And, again, the response.

RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/10/2018 5:43 AM  
Steve,

I believe that the EPA 'goes after' the present owner of the property for 'remediation'.

Any criminal actions by previous owners are the previous owners' problem.

The current owners may seek legal redress from the previous owners, but are CURRENTLY responsible for any 'violations'.

CAVEAT EMPTOR
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/10/2018 6:32 AM  
So, RoyalP, is it your intent to respond in this same manner ... ?

Are we going to have this exchange each time I call you for being childish with your tongue stuck out?

Do you want to use this space to do this?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/10/2018 6:32 AM  
So, RoyalP, is it your intent to respond in this same manner ... ?

Are we going to have this exchange each time I call you for being childish with your tongue stuck out?

Do you want to use this space to do this?
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/10/2018 7:17 AM  
Posted By RoyalP on 11/10/2018 5:29 AM

RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/10/2018 7:23 AM  
oops

the emoticon was copied in error

? childish ?

perhaps

! yet you continue to play !
JeffT2
(Iowa)

11/10/2018 7:27 AM  
George, your are starting to be the bully here and the one who is not following the posting rules. Just sayin'
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/10/2018 12:14 PM  
Nope - I am simply restating the purpose of the site.

I will, however, limit my responses in the future.

Perhaps there is another site with the same type of interaction.
RoyalP
(South Carolina)

11/10/2018 3:27 PM  
1000s and 1000s

called the world wide web

don't slam the door

(a simple request which YOU interpreted)
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/13/2018 10:24 PM  
Posted By JoyS1 on 11/07/2018 7:58 PM
I live in a neighborhood that was built in 3 phases. I am in phase 1 that was built 13 years ago before the builder owned the land for phase 2 & 3. We had a HOA that dissolved several years ago for the phase 1 neighborhood. We recently learned we have been included in a new HOA that include all 3 phases. We also learned the builder deeded “wetland” to the neighborhood without notifying the residents. There is an EPA issue caused by the builder in regards to these wetlands that we are told are now the responsibility of the residents or the HOA if it becomes active. Do we have any legal recourse against the builder? Can the original HOA be reactivate to avoid being forced into this new HOA?

If I were you I would go to my local County Records Office and ask for a copy of any documents (especially CCR’s) filed against your Property Title. If anything was recently filed against your property title without your proper consent ... you potentially could have a whopping lawsuit against any entity violating your rights. Sorry to be included in any “new HOA” would need your agreement to encumber your property title. Check to see what documents are filed and when then we can better answer further questions.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Builder transferred land to “neighborhood”

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement