Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 15, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Need help, First class enough
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PaulW9
(Illinois)

11/06/2018 7:51 AM  

Our "Rules and Regulations" state that warnings and violations are to be sent out,

Notices are deemed served either:

1. By personal delivery at the time of delivery, or

2. By mail following two (2) days after deposit in the United States mail, provided that notice has been sent both by regular first class and certified mail-return receipt requested, postage prepaid, to the owner at the last known address, or to such other addresses the owner shall have previously filed with the Board, and further provided that either the return receipt has been signed and returned or that the notice sent by regular mail has not been returned to the Association undelivered. For units held in trust, the notice may be sent either to the address to the trustee or to such address as has been provided to the Association by the Trustee or the beneficial owner of the Trust.

My question is what happens if you receive a warning or violation through the mail, regular first class and not also by certified mail-return receipt requested? I copied the section word for word. My issue is it doesn't say "AND OR" it clearly states both! What do you do with the mailings only sent through first class? And they are adding the fines to my monthly balance, which by the way is direct deposit, I"ve paid on time every time for 20 years. Could someone please advise. Thanks
AugustinD

11/06/2018 8:14 AM  
My understanding is that, if the HOA (or really any entity seeking enforcement of xyz) does not have a receipt for the mail sent, then the notice has not been received. In other words, I agree with you.

I do advise asking the HOA "What gives? Which I know can then be used as proof that you did receive notice.
SueW6
(Michigan)

11/06/2018 1:42 PM  
Probably should have been:

first class mail WITH a certified mail receipt . . .

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/06/2018 1:58 PM  
I think a board might consider it good enough to send via mail and email ... doesn’t meet the letter of the law, but if you want to go to court and plead based on this sort of technicality, it might mean you could end up losing.

What is your issue that this a major consideration?
PaulW9
(Illinois)

11/06/2018 6:10 PM  

The major consideration sadly is the manager has the power to send out warnings, violations and then when they are not completed on his time frame he then sends out the violations with monetary increments attached. He does this on his own. That is wrong on so many levels. We should start ignoring words like "must" and "may" If their not going to go by the letter of their own rules what good is any of it. How did you put it they probably thought was good enough? Really. Also, my point with them is they've sent me 15 warnings and violations, with the most incriminating violation, was to many flower pots, my garden hose was out, an empty flower pot on the lawn, solar lights in the beds "that have been there for years. 45 pages of pictures and nonsense. but this is where my money is going! Maybe I'll tell my boss ahhh thats good enough!
KerryL1
(California)

11/06/2018 6:37 PM  
Do your won documents, say your bylaws or contract with the mgmt. co. give the PM the right to levy fines, Paul?

Does IL give managers that power? Or does IL require that you be invited to a haring of the board who will listen to you plead your case?
KerryL1
(California)

11/06/2018 6:38 PM  
Do your own documents, say your bylaws, Rules & Regs or contract with the mgmt. co. give the PM the right to levy fines, Paul?

Does IL give managers that power? Or does IL require that you be invited to a hearing of the board who will listen to you plead your case? This is the law in many states.
PaulW9
(Illinois)

11/07/2018 1:13 PM  

Kerry, Does a homeowner have the right to see the contract of the MC? Can we say we'd like to see it?

And no nothing in our By-laws or Declaration gives a Managing Agent the right to levy fines.

Can the President just say"I told him he could do it.

Again coming back to my original question, They get to pick and choose when the wording of a document suits them? But we have to follow everything word for word. I know it sounds frivolous but it makes a huge difference to us!
RichardP13
(California)

11/07/2018 2:33 PM  
Paul

I think you are going to have to do some serious research in regards to what can be done in your specific state. I can tell you what happens in California as we have due process, but not what happns in your state and with your documents.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Need help, First class enough

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement