Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 15, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Security Cameras
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ThomasD2
(California)

11/05/2018 5:48 PM  

I'm on the board of an HOA of 22 townhouses in Southern California. Over six months ago my next door neighbor mentioned he was going to install cameras on the outside walls of his home. I did tell him I objected and urged him to seek permission from the HOA. (Our CCR's don't mention cameras, but as usual state that any alteration to the outside walls must have written permission from the board.) I myself would object but would give him a fair hearing. I think such cameras are of dubious value, especially since it is monitored by the neighbor, not the HOA. It intrudes on my privacy for little extra security. Nevertheless, the neighbor installed three cameras on the wall, never requesting permission. I choose my battles carefully after many ugly arguments and said nothing. A few weeks later his neighbor on his other side went ballistic saying it should never have been allowed, "who died and made him sheriff," etc. He removed the cameras.

The board president also said that he should have requested permission to do this. But the president also said they worried that "recent law" indicated a homeowner had a "right" to such cameras and that an HOA board might not be allowed to deny such cameras. I asked what law and they said they were not sure but were confident it was up to date HOA policy. They worried we might have no standing if someone else makes such a request. That certainly sounds like a stretch, but even so, I wondered if there was something to this. Does current HOA policy give homeowner's a right to install such cameras, no matter what the CCR's say?

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/05/2018 9:45 PM  
Considering there is no such thing as privacy as soon as you leave your 4 walls... Then why can't they have the cameras? Unless those cameras are pointed to my backyard or into my windows, then I don't have an issue with someone putting cameras on their own home.

Former HOA President
KerryL1
(California)

11/05/2018 10:36 PM  
As is so often the case, Melissa is wrong. The & condos almost always have restriction against penetrations of the common area walls. Both you & your neighbor are right to be upset about privacy, but the integrity of your buildings is even more important.

There is no "recent law" in CA permitting this. Have your prez show you the law. The Board, btw, needs to decide on this, NOT the president.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/05/2018 10:58 PM  
Yeah - this sounds simple from the perspective of bolting things in the house without permission.

And, no, not as simple re right to privacy, etc ... California law likely dictates.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/06/2018 4:56 AM  
In my opinion cameras should be allowed. That said they should be aimed so that they are showing ones property and no other property. Showing anything outside one's own property I would consider a violation of privacy.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/06/2018 7:23 AM  
The aiming thing is problematic ... who aims or checks on screen? Who determines if the lens is multifunction - allowing selectable narrow vs wide field of view? Do the cameras allow mechanical articulation? Can one jump up on a ladder and repoint the cameras or lenses without it being obvious?
SamE2
(New Jersey)

11/06/2018 8:49 AM  
Since this is a townhouse community I think the HOA should only be concerned about how the cameras look on the building and that they are installed in a way that does not allow damage to the building if the HOA has to maintain it. Let local, state and federal government deal with the other issues concerning cameras.
ThomasD2
(California)

11/06/2018 8:59 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 11/06/2018 4:56 AM
In my opinion cameras should be allowed. That said they should be aimed so that they are showing ones property and no other property. Showing anything outside one's own property I would consider a violation of privacy.

I do not want to allow the cameras, but understand that many others think they should be allowed to install them. (I don’t think the homeowner did themself any favors by not asking for permission.) But the HOA Pres fears we may not even have a right to deny that. That is what concerns me, is that really the case.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

11/06/2018 10:41 AM  
I know there are laws that limit an association's ability to impede the installation of a satellite dish, I'm not aware of any that limit the association's ability to prohibit or limit cameras.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
KerryL1
(California)

11/06/2018 10:56 AM  
Thomas, for the 2nd time, ask the Prez to show you this law. I do not think it exists!
ThomasD2
(California)

11/06/2018 11:09 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 11/06/2018 10:56 AM
Thomas, for the 2nd time, ask the Prez to show you this law. I do not think it exists!

I did ask, they thought it was "current state HOA policy." I agree that that is probably not true.
KerryL1
(California)

11/06/2018 11:27 AM  
So far as I know, it's not so I'm not going to look up something that doesn't exit.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement