Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 15, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Fee Coverage
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AshleeF
(South Carolina)

11/01/2018 7:22 PM  
Hello,
We moved into our home a little over a year ago and at the time of purchase, we were told there were no HOA dues for our neighborhood. Once we moved in, we got a letter stating that we owe for a past balance. Long story short we got that taken care of by the realtor attorney but my concern is what the HOA actually covers. I recently sent an email asking about what our dues cover and was provided a breakdown. We are not a gated community and are on public streets and have a yearly cost of $2,600 or electricity for the street lights and two small sign lights. We also pay $2,460 a year for grounds maintenance for not even a block worth of trees and grass. The streets are not maintained, we pay for our own grass and trash. We also have no amenities what so ever. There are insurance costs on the breakdown along with postage and management costs. To me (and some of the neighbors) these dues make no sense as we have nothing that should be covered by HOA dues. From what I also hear and have seen is that there has not been any HOA meetings in quite some time. We have not received one letter or announcement about a meeting in over a year that we have been here. Are these dues really necessary for a neighborhood (not really community) that is public and not gated, no benefit to the homeowners and no amenities? I have included a copy of the breakdown they sent me.

Attachment: 1111222248571.xls

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/01/2018 8:25 PM  
Confused... You say your HOA doesn't have anything to cover but gave a list of expenses. That is the expense you and your neighbors need to pay. Your not "Public". You just don't have private amenities. You don't have to be gated, own a clubhouse, pool or other amenities to be an HOA. You and your neighbors just have to have shared expenses like your management fees or insurance, lights etc... to all pay equally.

Former HOA President
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/01/2018 9:11 PM  
Ashlee,

Is your development still being built out (new homes) or has everything been sold?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/01/2018 11:39 PM  
Ashlee,

Way more info is needed ... can you update with specifics, info on CCRs, on the Board ... and, when you are going to run for the Board?

Seriously, you need to coordinate with your neighbors and find out what is going on ...
KimberlyW2
(Tennessee)

11/02/2018 8:11 AM  
I'm going to ask a VERY simple question and it is not meant to offend...just meant for thought.

When you looked at this house in your neighborhood- in this subdivision - you saw there were streetlights and 2 signs that had lights as well as a small area of trees and grass. I will also assume there is a landscaped area where the 2 lighted signs are? Also assuming these are the entrance (s) to your neighborhood with the name on the signs, etc.?

Who did you think paid for the electricity for the lights? The maintenance of the areas around the signage?

Now, you also state the HOA dues cover insurance and a management costs, postage and the like.

Who do you think pays for that?? Seems to me your " nothing " that should be covered by HOA dues is actually many things.

I also must ask WHO told you there was NOT an HOA at time of purchase? Is your home new? Did the previous owner tell you there was not an HOA? Your realtor, the title company?

I guess my point here is this: And again, not to offend...but, to possibly help other potential home buyers to ASK MANY QUESTIONS! If the answer you get does not seem reasonable, ask again. I think if you had simply stated " Who pays for the streetlights? " someone may have dug a little deeper. You get the benefit of streetlights, but electricity is not free.

So, the larger point is you have an HOA. Newsflash! Perhaps your next e-mail should be to inquire when the next meeting is or when the Annual Meeting is. Just be warned. In your quest to find out more- you run the risk of taking on a whole lot more than you bargained for.
Best of Luck.

K.

BarbaraT1
(Texas)

11/02/2018 9:23 AM  
Yes, those dues are necessary.

Land does not just exist. Someone has to own it and be responsible for it. That responsibility includes mowing it, picking up the trash off of it, paying the property taxes on it, insuring it in case someone trips and falls on it...

If your two biggest expenses amount to less than $6000 annually, I can't imagine your dues are very high unless there are only a handful of homes in the HOA.
LetA
(Nevada)

11/02/2018 12:14 PM  
It is definitely not an oddity to have a non-managed HOA. I looked at a house where the monthly assessments was $15.00 and there were absolutely no amenities. The streets were public as well as the streetlights. The $15 fee covered the accountant that was hired to collect the assessments.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/02/2018 1:25 PM  
This not a condo, right?

Is it a townhouse?

I’m assuming it isn’t a single family HOA ... dues seem far too high.

Dig for info to find out about board meetings, CCRs, etc.
RichardP13
(California)

11/02/2018 7:21 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 11/02/2018 1:25 PM
This not a condo, right?

Is it a townhouse?

I’m assuming it isn’t a single family HOA ... dues seem far too high.

Dig for info to find out about board meetings, CCRs, etc.

$120 a year seems high?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/03/2018 12:56 PM  
Whoops - sorry - division in public bad - I still don’t see how many properties divide into the totals.

If 120 a year per property not sure wha we are even answering about.

SamE2
(New Jersey)

11/03/2018 3:02 PM  
85 properties. See cell a28 in attachment.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

11/04/2018 12:28 AM  
Thanks - see it, now.

Sounds like a fair assessment for the level of maintenance.

Ashlee, let me now join everyone in asking, “Who do you think should be paying if not you?” And, since you drove into the neighborhood before you bought, it must have been obvious someone was paying for the maintenance?

And, finally D and O insurance, and perhaps liability insurance are normal costs.
NigelB
(Texas)

11/04/2018 8:51 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 11/01/2018 8:25 PM
Confused... You say your HOA doesn't have anything to cover but gave a list of expenses. That is the expense you and your neighbors need to pay. Your not "Public". You just don't have private amenities. You don't have to be gated, own a clubhouse, pool or other amenities to be an HOA. You and your neighbors just have to have shared expenses like your management fees or insurance, lights etc... to all pay equally.

Insurance is essential for any HOA.

1. You have to cover the board and committees with D&O otherwise they'd be held individually liable if sued.
2. You have to cover the HOA with liability insurance because in the event of a lawsuit and no insurance, each member would be responsible for costs associated with the defense of the lawsuit and any adverse verdict that found the association liable. Even if the HOA is not at fault - you still have to defend.
3. Someone has to pay for management fees (the cost of collecting dues and paying bills if a mgmt company is hired)
4. Someone has to pay for lighting the entrances to the subdivision and irrigating any landscaping.

The cost of those things should be distributed equally among all the members of the HOA.
NigelB
(Texas)

11/04/2018 8:52 AM  
Obviously I replied to the wrong post.

Just move up one
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement