Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 15, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: In home business
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BillN4
(Colorado)

10/24/2018 6:50 PM  
My wife and I opened an in home daycare in January 2016. We followed all the rules set forth by the state and city regarding licensing. One of the requirements was to send letters to neighbors within 300 feet of our home and the property management company informing them of our intent. The letter stated that if there were any objections the respond within 15 days. the time passed and no objections were filled. The city sent a letter to the same people and the property management company informing them that a business license was going to be issued and if there were any objections they must file an appeal with the city within 7 days. no appeals were filed by the deadline and a license was issued. now, almost 2 years later the HOA board wants to shut us down for being in violation of the covenants which state that in home business can not increase traffic flow. What is our recourse? we have been in operation for 2 years, at least 3 of the board members walk by our house weekly and see the kids playing in the yard.
RoyalpitA

10/24/2018 7:23 PM  
Comply with your deed restrictions (CCRs)

or

move.
RoyalpitA

10/24/2018 7:29 PM  
ps.

for any further advice an attorney is recommended

one versed in real estate, contract, and HOA law

else, as many fools attempt, you may represent yourself

AND

pay for the HOA's legal fees as well as your own WHEN YOU ARE FORCED TO COMPLY
GenoS
(Florida)

10/24/2018 9:58 PM  
Posted By RoyalpitA on 10/24/2018 7:23 PM

or

move.

This is the right answer. Sorry, Bill, your association's CC&Rs can be more restrictive than the local laws and ordinances.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/25/2018 5:16 AM  
The question is what did the letter say originally? Maybe the question wasn't asked the right way originally? Meaning you may have asked permission but was it in a way that wouldn't raise red flags? That is the possibility here. The HOA may not have realized the scope/range of your planned home business. It could have read to them as "I have a babysitting job".

Which babysitting a couple of kids is way different than running a daycare. A daycare is one of those businesses that one does put a "shingle up". A babysitting job isn't. HOA's are not against home businesses like Tupperware or stock trading etc... They are not for those businesses like Doctor's offices or Car repairs etc...

You may need to move the business out of the house or low scale it. The IRS may be contacted by the HOA if they really don't like your business. Just an issue to be aware of.

Former HOA President
DouglasK1
(Florida)

10/25/2018 5:42 AM  
As Geno said, the HOA restrictions are separate from any approval required by local governments, and still apply. Since the association has waited two years to enforce there might be some legal defenses such as statute of limitations or laches, but you really need a lawyer to review your association governing docs and let you know what your options are based on formal and case law in your area.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
MaureenM1
(PA)

10/25/2018 6:46 AM  
You purchased into an hoa with CCR,s that you agreed to abide by. If you don’t want to abide move. Plain and simple.
We had a limo business in our hoa that we had to fight to stop once we got the zoning officer involved and they were told to register their business or be fined they moved. They knew if they registered their business the board would come after them because our CCRs restricted home businesses.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

10/25/2018 8:01 AM  
You should talk to a lawyer with experience with HOAs and have him read your docs. I have had homeowners successfully prevail in situations where the board knew of a violation and took no enforcement action for a very long time. But that may be unique to those communities or to my state.
AugustinD

10/25/2018 8:23 AM  
BillN4, you asked what your recourse is. You can respond to the HOA's letters saying the HOA was properly notified that the daycare center was going to be established and did nothing for two years; please make an exception. Meanwhile, your wife and you built a business and depend on it for income. If the HOA persists, fining you and possibly taking you to court, then I think the situation is not black and white. You might prevail; you might not. But for sure this will cost a great deal in attorney's fees.

Do you know of others in your HOA running businesses from their home that increase traffic flow?

If I were a new director on your HOA board and the board just noticed your business and the traffic flow, I think I would do as your HOA's board is doing. This would be for the sake of the HOA. People who live in your HOA relied on the covenants about no increased traffic flow from a home business. I would want to support them. I would ask the board to apologize to you for the two year lapse in time, trying to keep things polite. If you dug in, would I vote to have the HOA attorney ultimately take you to court? I think I would.
RoyalpitA

10/25/2018 10:49 AM  
Y'all are sooooo polite.

however

the following STILL applies and is accurate:

Posted By RoyalpitA on 10/24/2018 7:23 PM

or

move.

RichardP13
(California)

10/25/2018 11:11 AM  
I believe posters here need to check state statues before making the response they are. This is a day care. While generally increased traffic flow on a home business is a red flag, day care have exempts from individual states, California being one. Also Colorado is a liberal leaning state. All one needs to do is a google search on day cares in HOA's for answers.
TimM11

10/25/2018 11:21 AM  
Well, there are things you could try, but they're not guaranteed to work. One would be to talk to the city again about their prior notification to the PMC. They probably can't make the board reverse course, given what the covenants say, but they may be able to put the squeeze on them a little bit and make the board think twice. Or the city might not care at all. Wouldn't hurt to at least talk to them, though.

Then of course there's going to local media, who tend to love stories like this (it can be spun as anti-property rights, anti-children, or anti-small biz, depending on the audience). Maybe your customers could help here too. I wouldn't do that unless you really felt backed into a corner, though. Plus there is no guarantee that would make the board reconsider either.

Personally? I think the board/PMC should have responded when they were originally notified about this rather than letting it go on for so long.
LetA
(Nevada)

10/25/2018 11:36 AM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 10/25/2018 11:11 AM
I believe posters here need to check state statues before making the response they are. This is a day care. While generally increased traffic flow on a home business is a red flag, day care have exempts from individual states, California being one. Also Colorado is a liberal leaning state. All one needs to do is a google search on day cares in HOA's for answers.

We had sommeren run a daycare in their home in the HOA I live in. It went from a nuisance to an intrusion when this particular renter started using the community amenities to run their commercial business. I totally agree with PITA on this. You are in violation of a contract that you agreed to abide by, not good. I suggest you move or rent a commercial store front somewhere and run a daycare operation there.
RichardP13
(California)

10/25/2018 12:11 PM  
Posted By LetA on 10/25/2018 11:36 AM

We had sommeren run a daycare in their home in the HOA I live in. It went from a nuisance to an intrusion when this particular renter started using the community amenities to run their commercial business. I totally agree with PITA on this. You are in violation of a contract that you agreed to abide by, not good. I suggest you move or rent a commercial store front somewhere and run a daycare operation there.

Because they involve children, they have to report to certain agencies.

Report them if they are overstepping their boundaries!
RoyalpitA

10/25/2018 1:50 PM  
meter at 100% - time to exit this thread

SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

10/25/2018 6:07 PM  
I believe posters here need to check state statues before making the response they are. This is a day care.

Well Colorado allows you to watch up to 4 children that are not yours at a home as a business. The HOA does not.

What will typically happen is if you dont stop the HOA will take you to court, the court usually sides with the HOA because its contract law and this particular contract you agreed to says no businesses. You will have a very large legal bill, proubably $10k or so, and the court will also tell you to pay the HOA legal bill which could be $50k because they are using corporate lawyers, not personal lawyers.

Can you work something out with the HOA without involving lawyers? Unlikely, but maybe.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

10/25/2018 6:13 PM  
Unfortunately, the city or state licensing has nothing to do with the rules of your HOA. They would have no idea of the existence, nor rules of your HOA nor care before issuing a license.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

10/26/2018 9:12 AM  
The more I think of it, the more I wouldn't want a day care in my HOA either.

Lets say 10 kids.

Parents droping off - 10 extra cars going through neighborhood
Parents picking up - 10 extra cars going through neighborhood
2 employees going to work- 2 extra cars going through neighborhood
2 employees leaving work- 2 extra cars going through neighborhood
Amazon deliveries drop off - 1 extra truck
Amazon delivery leaving - 1 extra truck

Potentially 26 extra cars driving through each day! Just for your house.

People move to an HOA to have quiet streets that their kids can ride bikes on, walk the dogs, etc. Its not fair to others for you to break the rules and other home owners to deal with the increased traffic and danger.

Want a day care? Move to a non-hoa house, where the city permits it and your free to do as you please. Sure day care is needed, just not in your HOA.
GlenM4
(Tennessee)

10/30/2018 5:44 PM  
ask for proof of the increase in traffic, you been doing this for 2 years and now its all of a sudden increased?? I would consult a lawyer, if it had been just a few months then i agree you should stop. but 2 years?

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/30/2018 11:55 PM  
If I were on the BoD, I would hold everyone to the CCR standards - unless the state allows otherwise.

I would not want businesses of any kind (other than folks working in their home offices) that increase traffic or consistently bring outsiders into the neighborhood.

You would get the required warnings, then following all CCRs, county and state procedure, we’d be off to court.
JenniferG11
(Texas)

10/31/2018 2:27 AM  
I dunno. I think the notice sent to the PM is a game changer. They chose not to object at that time, but of course I agree an attorney is needed.
RoyalpitA

10/31/2018 2:33 AM  
It all depends on COLORADO's 'time frame' re: doctrine of laches.

Next step would be competent legal advice.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

10/31/2018 7:41 AM  
Posted By JenniferG11 on 10/31/2018 2:27 AM
I dunno. I think the notice sent to the PM is a game changer. They chose not to object at that time,.....

If no reponse within 7 days, I'm changing my house into a methadone clinic and rooming house for sex offenders. Guess no one replied.... im legal!

LOL. HOA contract law doenst work that way.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/13/2018 10:08 PM  
No recourse if they are willing to take you to court. In a court battle you potentially will loose ... so you need to determine how far the HOA may be willing to go in their pursuit. As you have noted your CCR’s do not allow and which were in effect when you purchased and prior to your business.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement