Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, August 24, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Can HOA's be LLC's?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JimM36
(Ohio)

10/17/2018 6:42 PM  
Our HOA Board is concerned about liability protection for their Board members should a lawsuit against one or all of its members ever arise. Insurance premiums offering such coverage appear unaffordable without a quantum increase in annual dues. As a result, thought is being given to creating a LLC because of the personal liability protection it affords. Would appreciate any comment on whether HOAs are commonly LLCs and would it provide the protections we believe it will. Thanks!
KerryL1
(California)

10/17/2018 6:51 PM  
Is your HOA incorporated?
DouglasK1
(Florida)

10/18/2018 6:17 AM  
HOAs are generally not for profit corporations so as Kerry mentions, hopefully yours is already.

If not, I'm not sure that an LLC would be a good option. LLCs pay their taxes on the owner's returns, and I'm pretty sure can't use IRS for 1120-H for the tax advantages it provides. Why would you want to be an LLC rather than a true corporation?

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
SueW6
(Michigan)

10/18/2018 6:21 AM  
Absolutely you should incorporate. You can form a non-profit corporation, (NOT a charitable one) which is governed by a board, financed by members. Members and volunteers can be protected from being sued individually.(Someone might try, but only if they did something deliberately illegal or immoral would it fly.)

You can even do this on-line, if available in your state.

I am surprised your insurance agent hasn't encouraged this.

Our HOA was sued come years ago by the family of a kid who was racing on subdivision roads on a snowmobile and was killed. The lawsuit tried to sue the association, each member of the association and the board were also named. Nothing happened.

Because of something stupid put into the minutes, our association was sued by a homeowner. He sued the association and the board members. The "corporate shield" protected the individual board members. We had to pay $12,000 in legal fees.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

10/18/2018 1:59 PM  
I wouldn't serve on a Board without Directors and Officers insurance. I think ours is around $1400 a year. Anyone can be sued at anytime and it can be expensive to defend yourself even if the suit is thrown out eventually.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/18/2018 2:05 PM  
Posted By SamE2 on 10/18/2018 1:59 PM
I wouldn't serve on a Board without Directors and Officers insurance. I think ours is around $1400 a year. Anyone can be sued at anytime and it can be expensive to defend yourself even if the suit is thrown out eventually.

I agree.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/18/2018 2:59 PM  
Jim,

Your HOA should be incorporated per all the comments, above.

I was recently elected to be a Director, and then agreed to be an Officer (Secretary) of our HOA Board.

They did not have insurance and a couple of folks thought it wasn't necessary.

I provided extensive information to them, and then asked them if they wanted to lose everything they had accumulated since they were children?

And, then I noted I would NOT serve as a Director unless we actively worked to get D&O as the FIRST action - took about 2 months to get bids, then we discussed and voted unanimously to obtain the coverage.

As a BTW - I also made the point the community needed liability insurance for the common areas and any number of odd circumstances - they agreed to this, as well.

Do NOT serve on a Board of an HOA without D&O!
KerryL1
(California)

10/18/2018 3:33 PM  
How much $$ is the D&O aspect of your policy, Goeorge? I don't remember mine and it's not handy.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/18/2018 3:53 PM  
Our D&O insurance is $1,500 per year, including liability insurance.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/18/2018 5:24 PM  
Out D&O and Liability is $845.

The community only has a couple of concrete benches and one acre of wooded park. No other amenities.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Can HOA's be LLC's?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement