Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 15, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: I Finally Did It--I Stepped Down From My HOA
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JerryD5
(Colorado)

10/16/2018 6:47 PM  
After being on the HOA board for 9 years and serving 8 years as Board President, I decided not to run for re-election. I, like many others on this site, am so burned out. I enjoyed being part of my HOA (for the most part) but the time was right to pass the baton to someone else.

I will still attend meetings (as a regular joe) to ensure they are making sound financial decisions. It felt great to walk out and not have the burden of the office on my shoulders anymore.

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/16/2018 8:00 PM  
Thank you for carrying the load!
MaureenM1
(PA)

10/17/2018 3:47 AM  
I am debating doing the same however we are a small hoa and have no one to
pass the baton to. We have two new board members one was previously on the biard. Three of the members are contemplating resigning over the one new biard member who got off to a very contentious start by nominating himself as president with no board experience. Of course he was not co firmed as president but he was trying a hostile takeover of the board.

We are having a biard training on Monday and The board wants to ask for a resignation.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/17/2018 3:30 PM  
My rule of thumb... There is always a bigger fish... So you better be feeding it before it eats you! My job wasn't to stay President forever. It was to lead so that someone wanted to take my place. Congrats!

Former HOA President
KerryL1
(California)

10/17/2018 5:23 PM  
Say, Maureen, maybe at the training session y'all can find some sort of common ground with the new director. With no on else willing to help, he might be good for SOMEthing!
SueW6
(Michigan)

10/18/2018 6:53 AM  
Too bad that officers with a lot of experience are often just thrown to the wayside after an election.

There could be a "president emeritus" non-voting position after the election so that all that expertise is not lost. This person would be advisory position only, not a board member.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/18/2018 2:04 PM  
I am considering not seeking reelection to our BOD. As we can nominate from the floor, I will wait until the last minute and see who is running. If I am comfortable with who is running, I will not. If I am uncomfortable with who is running, I will. If we do not have enough running, I will.
RoyalpitA

10/18/2018 2:37 PM  
FREE

FREE

Praise the Creator, FREE AT LAST
KerryL1
(California)

10/18/2018 3:30 PM  
Why don't you want to serve anymore, JohnC? Your HOA sounds pretty uncomplicated and stable? I'm asking bcaseu your reply might help others who post or lurk.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/18/2018 4:03 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 10/18/2018 3:30 PM
Why don't you want to serve anymore, JohnC? Your HOA sounds pretty uncomplicated and stable? I'm asking bcaseu your reply might help others who post or lurk.

While stable and uncomplicated, I got on the BOD for three main reasons:

1. To prevent some aholes from getting on.

2. Crack down on landscaping violations to maintain our upmarket, common look.

3. Lastly but most important was to assure our dues (via an upcoming increase) will cover the down the road major expenses of re-roofing and re-siding each home as dictated in the Covenants. If I see those looking to repeal this increase running, I will run again.

In our upcoming elections we have 3 open spots (mine included) on a 5 member BOD. I know the two remaining members support the dues increase. I need to see 1-2 more supporter(s) or I will run to preserve it.

KerryL1
(California)

10/18/2018 4:46 PM  
Thanks, Jon. I think those aren't unusual reasons.
ChrisP5
(Missouri)

10/22/2018 5:48 PM  
John I have been in your shoes twice and was waiting to see who was running. 6 years later (9 years on board) I’m still on the board.

Do you have concerns about if you leave your board won’t stick to the strong reserve funding plan? That’s honestly 75% of why I stick around my board. Our treasurer spent this budget season arguing that our reserve study was wrong and we didn’t need to save that much. Two years ago was the arguement we didn’t need to save for roofs and we should hope to get a hailstorm.
MaureenM1
(PA)

10/26/2018 8:29 AM  
It’s a little better since the training. I will see how it goes since my term is up September 2019. Just difficult because the one board member came back on with the same issues he resigned over and the other is his friend so they stick together in their complaints and voting.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/26/2018 8:49 AM  
Posted By ChrisP5 on 10/22/2018 5:48 PM
John I have been in your shoes twice and was waiting to see who was running. 6 years later (9 years on board) I’m still on the board.

Do you have concerns about if you leave your board won’t stick to the strong reserve funding plan? That’s honestly 75% of why I stick around my board. Our treasurer spent this budget season arguing that our reserve study was wrong and we didn’t need to save that much. Two years ago was the arguement we didn’t need to save for roofs and we should hope to get a hailstorm.

Yes my concern is sticking to the Roof and Siding Reserve we have set up. All the dues increase money is earmarked for this fund. Without the future roof and siding burden, we can operate quite well (including a General Reserve Fund) within our present dues structure and could for the foreseeable future. It is the roof and siding that would eventually (12 years from now) break the budget.
JoyceR2
(Virginia)

10/27/2018 6:02 PM  
I applaud any & all that raise their hand to volunteer as a Board member with their primary objective to protect funds & property value. I applaud all those that endeavor to learn, become knowledgeable, are engaged & come to meetings prepared to discuss the agenda. I applaud all of those that question vendors & management companies, expect quality work, monitor & inspect. I applaud the honesty & integrity of those volunteering that do not look or seek perks & walk to the beat of the same drums all other residents are expected to walk too. This all means that you embrace all resident properties as if they are your own.

Clearly these communities (by design) are a money making opportunity that requires folks like You....
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > I Finally Did It--I Stepped Down From My HOA

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement