Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Getting Nowhere with my HOA
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LetA
(Nevada)

10/14/2018 9:00 PM  

I have been a thorn in the A$$ to my HOA since the declarant turned it over to the BOD in regards to on street parking. I have a modern nuclear family now.
We park both of our cars in the garage and now our kid is in college and has a car to drive himself to work and school. The constant problem I have is with the same neighbors that in the past blocked my garage, are now monopolizing all the on street parking one if front of their house and one in front of mine. They use their garage for storage and don't park cars in and they park 2 cars in the 6 foot long mini driveway slabs that we both have. I sent the PM a letter 2 months ago because they parked a car in front of my garage to pick up their child when there was no cars parked in their driveway or in front of either home. In my letter that went ignored I called it targeted harassment.

I want to reach an amicable solution so everyone is happy. I don't want to have to play musical cars at 6 in the morning, and I don't want to see my kid park is car anywhere away from the house because it is not fair to the owner of that house to have strangers parking in front of their home.
RoyalpitA

10/15/2018 5:58 AM  
..... because it is not fair to the owner of that house to have strangers parking in front of their home. .....

but legal and NOT a violation of Covenant

get over yourself
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

10/15/2018 6:30 AM  
Are the streets public?

If so, there is nothing the HOA can do about street parking. An HOA has no authority to regulate parking on a publicly maintained road. You can be as much of a pain as you want, that won't change.

Try talking to neighbors, since this is a neighbor to neighbor dispute.
ND
(PA)

10/15/2018 7:48 AM  
Unless there are already "rules" in CC&Rs or other rules & regs docs that limit # cars parked on street, limit # cars per family, require garage parking, designate where specific people are allowed to park, and/or anything related to parking . . . then you're SOL.

With public streets, people can park anywhere they are legally permitted to park. While you feel some sense of ownership of the spot directly in front of your house, you officially have no ownership or entitlement to it. And none of your neighbors are entitled to the spot in front of their house either.

You have 3 cars and 3 parking spaces on your own property (I assume 2 garage, 1 driveway). You can park just fine entirely on your own property . . . it's just not the most convenient sometimes. Anything more than that is for you to figure out with your neighbors. Your BOD has neither the authority nor responsibility to do anything further unless they feel compelled to create some "rule" that might impact the situation for the whole neighborhood.

I suggest doing the following in priority order:
- If the spot in front of your own house is ever available, immediately fill it with one of your own vehicles (regardless of what's already in your driveway or garage).
- If the spot in front of your neighbor's house is available, fill it with one of your vehicles (but only when the spot in front of your house is filled by a vehicle that isn't yours).
- Plan your family's schedules more thoroughly as to minimize the need for juggling vehicles in your garage/driveway.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/15/2018 11:54 AM  
If this happened to me, I would buy 4-5 cars, making sure they were registered legally - then park them in front of my house and my neighbors house.

I would rotate them around occasionally.

I know it takes money to do this, but it would be my number one priority.
LetA
(Nevada)

10/15/2018 5:05 PM  
It is when they use their garage as storage and park their cars outside. Technically the CC&R's say NO on street perking, but a majority of the homes have 6' long driveways so the BOD don't enforce that covenant. That leads to the problem here. When they park both cars in the street they SILL block a section of my garage.
LetA
(Nevada)

10/15/2018 5:10 PM  
Private gated community, and these are not the type of people that you want to negotiate with. The one adult male of the residence already threw a football at my head because I complained about their houseguest blocking my garage. so negotiation is not even remotely an option, and they're renters and above that they're PCC's
MarkM19
(Texas)

10/15/2018 5:13 PM  
If it weren't for the 4 P's HOA boards would have nothing to do.

Pools, Pets and Parking

These things never go away.
AdamD1
(Indiana)

10/16/2018 7:37 PM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 10/15/2018 5:13 PM

Pools, Pets and Parking

What's the fourth P?
RoyalpitA

10/16/2018 7:38 PM  
PITAs

such as myself

who actually expect the law to be adhered to
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

10/16/2018 7:41 PM  
Posted By AdamD1 on 10/16/2018 7:37 PM
Posted By MarkM19 on 10/15/2018 5:13 PM

Pools, Pets and Parking

What's the fourth P?

In our HOA it's "partaking in the throwing out of household garbage "PROPERLYY".

Otherwise known as "parking, pets, parking, AND GARBAGE".

Wish there was more time for the more important things like community improvements and safety issues and such.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
MarkM19
(Texas)

10/16/2018 7:53 PM  
Adam
Sorry that is what happens when older people try and send emails late at night after a cocktail or two. I read my note this morning and realized that I meant to hit the 3 not the 4 but that being said PEOPLE is the obvious other P.

I always have told my boards that if HOAs were like the TV show Survivor and we could vote people off the island every 3 days it would be a great place to live.
GenoS
(Florida)

10/16/2018 7:58 PM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 10/16/2018 7:53 PM
I always have told my boards that if HOAs were like the TV show Survivor and we could vote people off the island every 3 days it would be a great place to live.

Hahahaha!
RoyalpitA

10/17/2018 6:34 AM  
Adam
Sorry that is what happens when older people try and send emails late at night after a cocktail or two. I read my note this morning and realized that I meant to hit the 3 not the 4 but that being said PEOPLE is the obvious other P.

ME ME ME

PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP

VOTE ME OUT
JenniferG11
(Texas)

10/17/2018 7:06 AM  
Posted By LetA on 10/15/2018 5:10 PM
Private gated community, and these are not the type of people that you want to negotiate with. The one adult male of the residence already threw a football at my head because I complained about their houseguest blocking my garage. so negotiation is not even remotely an option, and they're renters and above that they're PCC's

How are they able to block your garage?
AdamD1
(Indiana)

10/17/2018 7:08 AM  
Adam

The tribe has spoken, it is time for you to go.
LetA
(Nevada)

10/17/2018 7:10 AM  
Posted By JenniferG11 on 10/17/2018 7:06 AM

How are they able to block your garage?

they park their cars with a portion of their car parked in front of my garage opening.
TimM11

10/17/2018 8:34 AM  
So call a towing company if they are blocking access to your property, or property to which you have exclusive use.

And if they're throwing things at you, call the police.
RoyalpitA

10/17/2018 8:36 AM  
Posted By AdamD1 on 10/17/2018 7:08 AM
Adam

The tribe has spoken, it is time for you to go.

not the site

my hoa

ND
(PA)

10/17/2018 9:32 AM  
This is tough . . .

On one you want the "no on-street parking" rule enforced which will require the neighbor to use their garage for parking instead of storage and not allow them to park in front of your house or garage; however, you also will have to park all 3 of your cars off the street which is an inconvenience you don't want to deal with.

On the other hand you're ok with not enforcing the "no on-street parking" rule since it will allow you to park 1 of your 3 cars on the street and be more convenient for you, except for when the neighbor uses the on-street parking in front of your house.

Regardless of how you spin it, most of this issue appears to boil down to a conflict you have with this neighbor and you wanting the Board to intervene. My suggestions:

- If them "blocking" your garage is only a few inches of a car in front of your garage, then ignore it . . . you can still get in and out and there are bigger issues in life to spend your time on.
- If them "blocking" your garage makes ingress/egress impossible, then call the police and have them order the car towed (although with private streets, that may not happen). If police refuse, somehow obtain a statement/report from them that you will be able to turn over to the BOD or have for yourself when you have to end up calling for a tow.
- Any physical interaction with this neighbor, call the police.
- Become friendly with another nearby neighbor and ask if they don't mind your son parking in front of their house.
- Use my aforementioned parking suggestions . . . always nabbing the on-street parking when it's available.

Instead of being a thorn in the Board's side (since that won't help you get anything you want), suggest working on an actual solution to the neighborhood's parking problem and presenting it to the Board as a near-finished product. Just making a suggestion to them and expecting them to refine and execute it likely won't happen if they aren't directly impacted like you are.

Maybe the "no on-street parking" rule goes away. Maybe owners are limited as to the number of their own vehicles are permitted to be parked on the street. Maybe garages are required to store at least 1 vehicle before street parking is allowed. I'd hate to have a family gathering or party in your neighborhood if there is no place for guests to park.
JenniferG11
(Texas)

10/17/2018 9:48 AM  
Good point, ND. OP wants to use street parking too. I totally understand OP that you want only the space in front of your house, but unfortunately that is not how it works. I think it's musical cars in the am or the night before to manage three cars in your garage and driveway. There is no mechanism to make people park only in front of their own houses.

BarbaraT1
(Texas)

10/17/2018 12:36 PM  

What are PCC's?

You can get the name of the actual owner from county records and try talking to them about it- they are responsible for their tenants.
GlenM4
(Tennessee)

10/17/2018 6:25 PM  
if the CCRs say no parking on street make them enforce it or change it.
LetA
(Nevada)

10/18/2018 6:53 AM  
Posted By JenniferG11 on 10/17/2018 9:48 AM
Good point, ND. OP wants to use street parking too. I totally understand OP that you want only the space in front of your house, but unfortunately that is not how it works. I think it's musical cars in the am or the night before to manage three cars in your garage and driveway. There is no mechanism to make people park only in front of their own houses.

I think they should clean out their garage and park 2 cars in their garage FIRST before using any available street parking before they monopolize available street spaces.
RoyalpitA

10/18/2018 7:05 AM  
..... I think they should clean out their garage and park 2 cars in their garage FIRST before using any available street parking before they monopolize available street spaces. .....

You are entitled to your opinion.

THEY are entitled to park where legal on the PUBLIC street.
AugustinD

10/18/2018 8:42 AM  

About two years ago I was saying my HOA had morphed from the HOA Hunger Games to HOA Survivor. Now it's degenerated from HOA Survivor right past the Hunger Games to HOA Lord of the Flies.

LetA, it's a big deal when someone physically assaults another as your neighbor did with the football. I presume you cannot prove he did it intentionally. If there is any provable physical assault, I hope you make a police report.
LetA
(Nevada)

10/19/2018 12:16 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 10/18/2018 8:42 AM

About two years ago I was saying my HOA had morphed from the HOA Hunger Games to HOA Survivor. Now it's degenerated from HOA Survivor right past the Hunger Games to HOA Lord of the Flies.

LetA, it's a big deal when someone physically assaults another as your neighbor did with the football. I presume you cannot prove he did it intentionally. If there is any provable physical assault, I hope you make a police report.

I ducked, it did not hit me, but IF I knew then what I now know, I would have filed a police report. There is nothing greater in life than to have a renter that has a out of compliance sex offender registered at that address and they decorate for halloween. He was under indictment at the time of the incident.
LetA
(Nevada)

10/19/2018 12:17 AM  
Posted By RoyalpitA on 10/18/2018 7:05 AM
..... I think they should clean out their garage and park 2 cars in their garage FIRST before using any available street parking before they monopolize available street spaces. .....

It's not public street, It is a PRIVATE gated community.
RoyalpitA

10/19/2018 7:14 AM  
Posted By LetA on 10/19/2018 12:17 AM
Posted By RoyalpitA on 10/18/2018 7:05 AM

It's not public street, It is a PRIVATE gated community.

Then begin the process to add 'street parking' restrictions to the CCRs via a proper amendment.

All else is Ka-Ka. The Tauric type.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/19/2018 3:41 PM  
RoyalpitA,

Can you not simply be helpful without weird comments?

Offer HOW to get the CCRs modified ...

Jeez.
JenniferG11
(Texas)

10/19/2018 3:59 PM  
They already say no street parking. It isn't enforced. OP doesn't really want it enforced. OP wants son to park on the street. He wants something modified like 'only park in front of your own house', which I do not think is doable.
RoyalpitA

10/19/2018 7:18 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 10/19/2018 3:41 PM
RoyalpitA,

Can you not simply be helpful without weird comments?

Offer HOW to get the CCRs modified ...

Jeez.

? HOW ?

That is contained WITHIN the CCRs themselves.

Sheeeez
LetA
(Nevada)

10/19/2018 9:47 PM  
Posted By JenniferG11 on 10/19/2018 3:59 PM
They already say no street parking. It isn't enforced. OP doesn't really want it enforced. OP wants son to park on the street. He wants something modified like 'only park in front of your own house', which I do not think is doable.

What's doable is enforcing the CC&R cause that says garages are not to be used as storage. That would free up 2 street slots right there. As for having the car towed when it is blocking my garage, no can do. No towing company will tow a car immediately unless it is parked in front of a fire hydrant. To have a car towed that is blocking my garage, I would have to call the police and have them perform a "duty tow"

Whats to stop one household from parking 10 cars in the street. Unless this useless BOD sat down and at least changed the rules and regs to limit the number of cars one household can park in the street and actually changed the CC&R's taking out the NO on street parking clause, we will continue to have these problems.

The BOD would not do anything for another owner that has a house with His & Her garages. The guy is disabled and someone kept parking in front of his house, a house that has no sidewalks with 0 frontage parking their vehicle with the front and rear bumper overlapping each garage opening.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Getting Nowhere with my HOA

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement